Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Trufant and Alford speaks out about their play

114 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I know exactly why it's because he signed and earns big coin.Funny thing is this goes on all over the shop.

We are just about to sign Jarrett Debo and Neal possibly a few more I guarantee you if the same or something similar happens to them it's Rinse wash repeat mark it down.

Samething happend to our 2 best offensive players in the history of the franchise in Julio and Ryan this off season.Everyone loves making a big deal about other people's money,this is what this really boils down to if we're honest.

So are you saying Atlanta shouldn't sign Jarrett, Jones and Neal to new deals because they'll start mailing it in too?

20 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

If Shelby had of condensed the space up front Chubb doesn't get through the hole.

If Riley does a better job disengaging and makes a tackle Chubb doesn't go all the way.

If Kazee makes a better effort  in the open field and makes that tackle Chubb doesn't go all the way.

Lol then there's option 4 but some how the first 3 options get forgotten and because the hate is that much for Tru he's getting blamed here is laughable.Tru could have made a better effort also but for everyone to flog a dead hors for a play that wasn't Trus fault at all is a joke.

I have seen you post this BS on several threads and it's honestly starting to become mind-numbing. If you really dont understand why Tru is getting more heat than the other players, you are being wilfully dense and ignorant.

The other guys made mistakes. Tru has actively AVOIDED making a tackle several times this year.

There is a major difference between losing your matchup and/or not maintaining gap discipline versus Intentionally running away from a play due to fear or disinterest.

Peyton and TheUsualStuff like this

On 11/16/2018 at 10:27 AM, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Trufant sounds like he's just there to get a paycheck. He has a loser mentality. It's players like him that keep the team down. The players that think it's ok to give a minimum effort need to go. They're the reason the team is "the same old Falcons." The loser mentality keeps getting passed on in the locker room. Until all of these players are off the team it will never get over the hump. I liked Trufant when he came into the league. He appeared to be a great player. He got a good contract and then his effort went down. 

Case in point as to why the Pats don't hand out big contracts very often. They let guys walk not because the player has played badly in the past but because they know not everyone has the drive to continue to play at a high level after the big checks and guarantees are dished out and they assess that in their players before offering the contracts.

Tiger Woods had 40 Mil from Nike in his pocket before he ever played his first PGA tour tournament as a member. He has earned over a billion in his career at this point but still has the same fire to win. Not many people possess that mentality. A person's character is as important as his/her skills. 

Some folks look at gaining the big contract as their passion. Others look at it as the security to pursue their passion. I don't know Trufant or Rocky so let me say that I'm not suggesting they are not passionate enough about the game I only suggest that it is a big problem in the league with players just after receiving big deals.

JeffAtl and Falcons_Frenzy like this

9 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

So are you saying Atlanta shouldn't sign Jarrett, Jones and Neal to new deals because they'll start mailing it in too?

No what I'm saying is ths is a Rinse wash repeat discussion as soon as a player gets compensated,for some reason the expectations of this player goes to unrealistic levels.

Never mind the mentioned the exact argument was used for our best in Ryan and Julio this off season.

If fans are going to do it to our best What hope has anyone else got.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:31 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Once he signed his extension, he essentially became untradeable until 2021. Trading players accelerates all of their prorated money to the cap. In Trufant's situation, trading him before the season would have accelerated almost $30m in dead money to the cap. Not possible.  In theory, he could be traded next offseason but he'd still be on the books for $15m. It just doesnt make sense to "pay" a dude $15m who isnt on your team anymore. 

I think he's had a pretty rough season, for sure. I couldnt tell you why but my guess would be that he and Alford have had their responsibilities change somewhat to help cover for Rico/Keanu/Debo being out. Its hurt both of them tremendously. I'm sure there are other things at play of course. The pass rush has flashed at times but has largely been inconsistent, which is going to crush pretty much any secondary if it happens for prolonged periods of time. 

I agree about the context of the Browns game....not that I think Greg Williams is a great coach or anything. But they definitely put a ton of effort into creative gameplanning and that knocked the defense off balance from the get go. Unfortunately for us, we had that drive stall at the goal line and that other drive die in Cleveland territory. Thats the game right there. 

This seems destined to be a very frustrating season which makes sense given the toll injuries have taken on the team. But all there is to do is for the team to get back out there this week and do better. Two weeks ago the team had its best performance of the season against a decent opponent. It needs to get back in that mindset and performance level. 

Larry this is exactly how I've been seeing this.

If I'm to off load either mentioned I do it after we get our 3 key outs back if there is zero improvement then I re-evaluate it from there.

All I'm seeing right now is that inconsistency and yes lack of effort at times.

I mentioned this about inconsistency before when you take key players out you get the above mentioned.I mentioned what happend with the oline 2017 2018 when we mixed and matched combinations vs 2016 when we had Chester Mack and Levitre together that combination made Schraeder into a basically pro bowl level type RT.You take the mentioned away and mix and match combinations like we have in 17 and 18 whose struggling.

I see much the same as you mentioned with our corners and the situation they are in.

Trufant deserves every once of criticism that he is getting.  His lack of effort and his abysmal lack of production are a calamity within this defense.  He is getting paid like a top-tier CB, yet he produces like a run-of-the-mill nobody.  

No one fears throwing to his receiver.  He does not create any turnovers and he is a lousy/weak physical presence.  

Trufant grossly under performs for his contract.  He is a waste of cap space.

For him to make a casual comment about his poor play speaks volumes.  A guy that plays poorly and approaches the subject casually is a poor bet to improve.  

I never thought that he was a special CB and I hoped that we would not re-sign him, but now that he is here, I sure hope he miraculously improves.  

Flying Falcon likes this

16 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

The Falcons need to do a better job in determining which players will start mailing it in once they "get paid".  This is a huge reason why the consistently good franchises are good year after year. 

In any event, it would probably be a mistake to sign all three to huge contracts - especially if we're still saddled with other bad contracts.

Also to clear up a misconception, "dead money" is always a bad thing but it is far better than keeping low-effort, disinterested or non-productive players on the roster eating up a roster space and killing the competitive spirit of the rest of the roster. 

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

All I'm seeing right now is that inconsistency and yes lack of effort at times.

If the coaching staff tolerates players with large contract extensions to be low-effort guys, then it is clear that the current regime shouldn't be entrusted to give out large contract extensions.

Tangentially, it seems that the Falcons tend to want to "reward" for past performance when handing out contracts rather than valuing the contact on expected future performance.  

17 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

No what I'm saying is ths is a Rinse wash repeat discussion as soon as a player gets compensated,for some reason the expectations of this player goes to unrealistic levels.

Never mind the mentioned the exact argument was used for our best in Ryan and Julio this off season.

If fans are going to do it to our best What hope has anyone else got.

Ah, sorry. I understand now. Yes, I agree. Although Trufant has gone backwards from what I've seen. Alford is about the same- a decent cb who gives up a few too many penalties.

13 hours ago, etherdome said:

Trufant deserves every once of criticism that he is getting.  His lack of effort and his abysmal lack of production are a calamity within this defense.  He is getting paid like a top-tier CB, yet he produces like a run-of-the-mill nobody.  

No one fears throwing to his receiver.  He does not create any turnovers and he is a lousy/weak physical presence.  

Trufant grossly under performs for his contract.  He is a waste of cap space.

For him to make a casual comment about his poor play speaks volumes.  A guy that plays poorly and approaches the subject casually is a poor bet to improve.  

I never thought that he was a special CB and I hoped that we would not re-sign him, but now that he is here, I sure hope he miraculously improves.  

I don't think there will ever be a true "shutdown" corner in this league again, at least not in the way folks have thought of them in the past.

Most no.1 CB's rely on 50% skill and 50% hype. They especially benefit when the no.2 CB on the defense is known to be average or less. Teams will then stay away from the better CB. When the No. 2 CB also gets a reputation as a good cover guy, the No. 1 then gets tested more and thus....exposed.

Once the mystique fades (Buster Douglas moment) it's never the same again. Happens all the time. Like most No.1's I don't think Tru was ever as good as advertised but add the fact that he's aging and getting tested more and you have a bad situation. We saw it with Meangelo but at least he could catch and get the occasional pick.

I think in today's NFL, CB is the worst position to play and the most difficult to stay viable in. I think teams would be smart to draft a corner in every draft and expect constant turnover at that position.

14 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

If the coaching staff tolerates players with large contract extensions to be low-effort guys, then it is clear that the current regime shouldn't be entrusted to give out large contract extensions.

Tangentially, it seems that the Falcons tend to want to "reward" for past performance when handing out contracts rather than valuing the contact on expected future performance.  

I don't me think they tolerate it.I think there's a lot going on around these players outside of there own individual efforts that are also effecting how they are performing,like I have mentioned in this thread.

I personally think a lot are dismissive of that.