Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Trufant and Alford speaks out about their play

114 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Well, we have no one on our staff to "develop" our draft picks. So here we are

And yes, they were paying Graham, Sproles, etc...

They had one year where they paid $9m in dead money for Graham. They were right in the middle of three consecutive 7-9 seasons. 

They paid $750,000 in dead money for Darren Sproles. Not $15m. 

As for the "no one to develop our draft picks" LOL. Okay. Sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Well yeah Tru, we’d be like 6-3 or 7-2 if you didn’t drop all those **** INTs. How the **** do you drop 5-6 easy *** INTs in critical situations? Shaquem Griffin can catch better and he only has one hand. 

 

I honestly believe Shaquem could catch better than Trucant with his hand tied behind his back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

They're talking like two guys who have nice contracts in hand and are trying to say the right things.

In the end, they still have those nice contracts in hand.

More like two guys who are trying to keep those contracts and not get the ax...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

He isnt being traded either. The cap implications are just too big to overreact to a down season from a player who has been very good for the vast majority of his career. 

Frankly, the entire defensive philosophy needs a careful examination at what works, what doesnt, etc. But thats offseason stuff. 

Right now, maybe you think about benching him to send a message. More likely, I think you wait for Debo to get back on the field and see how the defense settles in. He changes the entire way the defense operates. 

I respect your intellect on this topic but I can see Trufant being a June 1st cut if he continues to provide something close to what he provided Sunday.  A June 1st cut would give the Falcons 9.5 mil in cap relief in 2019, and 4 mil in cap relief in 2020.

It also would save the Falcons from having to pay Desmond Trufant 20 million dollars over the next two seasons for services he is absolutely not providing.  I think it is a very real possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

They had one year where they paid $9m in dead money for Graham. They were right in the middle of three consecutive 7-9 seasons. 

They paid $750,000 in dead money for Darren Sproles. Not $15m. 

As for the "no one to develop our draft picks" LOL. Okay. Sure. 

Hey, it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

sigh....

One more time...Trufant is NOT a good "cap casualty" contract. His release gets you no legitimate cap relief and, instead, saddles you with dead money. There's no reason to do that. It's counterproductive to do that. It makes us a significantly worse team. 

As for having "36 under contract" we're also looking at 9 draft picks (45). Which leaves 6 spots on the cap table unfilled as of right now. 

You arent going to see "major roster moves" you're doing to see a continued emphasis on drafting/development and supplementation with mostly value veterans. MAYBE you see one "splashy" move but this team has clearly pivoted toward a homegrown model. With pretty good results. 

Bro you need to go look at that 36. And with the 9 draft picks we'll get 2 maybe 3 players that will likely contribute in year 2 or 3.

As much as you accuse me of not knowing the cap I'm not sure you know what a good NFL player is. Wake up call comin in 2019.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the expectation when everyone says they should be held accountable?

Is it fines from the team?  Out right cut?  Cut in offseason?  Benched?

I never quite understand in what form the accountability is measured.

What happens if they are the best options we have for the position?  Do we still consider all of the above?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or say that they should not be held accountable, just trying to understand what they means to those that say it.  I agree, they are paid professionals and should perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deadmeat said:

what is the expectation when everyone says they should be held accountable?

Is it fines from the team?  Out right cut?  Cut in offseason?  Benched?

I never quite understand in what form the accountability is measured.

What happens if they are the best options we have for the position?  Do we still consider all of the above?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or say that they should not be held accountable, just trying to understand what they means to those that say it.  I agree, they are paid professionals and should perform.

Start with benching. Next man up might blow past somebody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deadmeat said:

what is the expectation when everyone says they should be held accountable?

Is it fines from the team?  Out right cut?  Cut in offseason?  Benched?

I never quite understand in what form the accountability is measured.

What happens if they are the best options we have for the position?  Do we still consider all of the above?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or say that they should not be held accountable, just trying to understand what they means to those that say it.  I agree, they are paid professionals and should perform.

I think Trufant should be benched, point blank. Obviously that isn't going to happen and I can sense that he's felt some heat this week.  We'll see how he responds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a fair start. I wonder if despite his play if he really is the best option on the team to play.

Seems like our backups have been exposed a little this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro you need to go look at that 36. And with the 9 draft picks we'll get 2 maybe 3 players that will likely contribute in year 2 or 3.

As much as you accuse me of not knowing the cap I'm not sure you know what a good NFL player is. Wake up call comin in 2019.

I'm well aware of what a good player looks like. I think you vastly overestimate the proportion of other rosters filled with "good NFL players." You also seem to completely miss the reality of roster maintenance and development in the league. The cap stuff is just secondary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm well aware of what a good player looks like. I think you vastly overestimate the proportion of other rosters filled with "good NFL players." The cap stuff is just secondary. 

OK LetsSeeWhatHappensLarry. It will be interesting. Dimi will have to do his best work to keep us relative.

By the way Gregory has more, tackles, TFLs, sacks and hits than Beasley. With seven fewer starts. Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few guys called it almost 4 years ago on Trufant when the Jaguars were literally picking on him at one point. We said it then and we'll say it again, dude is trash. He came from a team in college where the whole CONFERENCE is known for not playing defense. Dude is a shadow boxing CB. He never initiates contact. Ever. Even with a QB coming to block him. (Refer to Chicago Bears game last year)

His words fall on deaf ears because it doesn't matter. He got paid. Is what it is. And if he makes a play and gets an INT this Sunday....HE'S STILL TRASH!

Relative to Alford. I thought he had a good season last year. This season, outside of the old penalties he always used to get, he's just getting physically abused out there. So he's taking a step back. 

So his words mean nothing as well. I saw an older, recovering from a major injury, Richard Sherman go in and make some one on one tackles against RBs in the back field last week. Like, come on man. 

caponine and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I respect your intellect on this topic but I can see Trufant being a June 1st cut if he continues to provide something close to what he provided Sunday.  A June 1st cut would give the Falcons 9.5 mil in cap relief in 2019, and 4 mil in cap relief in 2020.

It also would save the Falcons from having to pay Desmond Trufant 20 million dollars over the next two seasons for services he is absolutely not providing.  I think it is a very real possibility.

I think you're overreacting to a bad game. Again....he's consistently been the best defender on the team for the majority of his career here. Sure, he could be "tailing off" but I think its more likely that he's having a bad year due to circumstance. And the effort stuff is super frustrating to see....but is also possibly the result of HIS frustration with everything. That doesnt make it okay obviously but it kinda puts it in context. I wouldnt be shocked if he was pressing just as much as Beasley is....because they've both been in the right spot only to leave plays on the field soooo much this year. 

I think Debo's return will be telling. If he continues to dog it, continues to get eaten up, etc., maybe you're right. But this team's ability to tolerate dead cap money decreases with each passing game. And thats a huge chunk of dead money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

OK LetsSeeWhatHappensLarry. It will be interesting. Dimi will have to do his best work to keep us relative.

By the way Gregory has more, tackles, TFLs, sacks and hits than Beasley. With seven fewer starts. Yikes.

Hmmm....the way I read the table, he's played 34 fewer games, forced 9 fewer fumbles, defended 8 fewer passes, has 22.5 fewer sacks, 70 fewer tackles, and has one fewer All Pro awards. 

Yikes indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think you're overreacting to a bad game. Again....he's consistently been the best defender on the team for the majority of his career here. Sure, he could be "tailing off" but I think its more likely that he's having a bad year due to circumstance. And the effort stuff is super frustrating to see....but is also possibly the result of HIS frustration with everything. That doesnt make it okay obviously but it kinda puts it in context. I wouldnt be shocked if he was pressing just as much as Beasley is....because they've both been in the right spot only to leave plays on the field soooo much this year. 

I think Debo's return will be telling. If he continues to dog it, continues to get eaten up, etc., maybe you're right. But this team's ability to tolerate dead cap money decreases with each passing game. And thats a huge chunk of dead money. 

Yeah I mean you and I definitely have differing opinions on Trufant.  I called him a coward last week for avoiding AP.  So to see the same act again this week didn't feel like a bad game but his new normal for me. 

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Once he signed his extension, he essentially became untradeable until 2021. Trading players accelerates all of their prorated money to the cap. In Trufant's situation, trading him before the season would have accelerated almost $30m in dead money to the cap. Not possible.  In theory, he could be traded next offseason but he'd still be on the books for $15m. It just doesnt make sense to "pay" a dude $15m who isnt on your team anymore. 

I think he's had a pretty rough season, for sure. I couldnt tell you why but my guess would be that he and Alford have had their responsibilities change somewhat to help cover for Rico/Keanu/Debo being out. Its hurt both of them tremendously. I'm sure there are other things at play of course. The pass rush has flashed at times but has largely been inconsistent, which is going to crush pretty much any secondary if it happens for prolonged periods of time. 

I agree about the context of the Browns game....not that I think Greg Williams is a great coach or anything. But they definitely put a ton of effort into creative gameplanning and that knocked the defense off balance from the get go. Unfortunately for us, we had that drive stall at the goal line and that other drive die in Cleveland territory. Thats the game right there. 

This seems destined to be a very frustrating season which makes sense given the toll injuries have taken on the team. But all there is to do is for the team to get back out there this week and do better. Two weeks ago the team had its best performance of the season against a decent opponent. It needs to get back in that mindset and performance level. 

With regards to trading exclusive players/contracts unable to be traded, then that makes the Freeman contract a total disaster if he is unable to come back from injury and perform at a high level again.

And I think that is most people's frustration with the Falcons organization, their large contracts for under-performing players. Now I am sure that it is a common mistake by a lot of teams in the league, but running back is not a position where teams have to pay premium dollars to and Trufant (IMO) has not been a shut-down corner (I know there is really no such thing with exception of maybe Deion Sanders) as advertised. 

I'm not a salary cap specialist, but I am sure hoping that Julio, Campbell, Deion, and Jarrett can all be re-signed in the near future and not lost due to the poor contracts of Freeman and Trufant.

I also hope that Keanu is not the odd man out but he would be the guy I would let walk due to the it being easier to replace his position because of the amount of constant talent entering the league from the college ranks.

 

 

KRUNKuno likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SOI said:

With regards to trading exclusive players/contracts unable to be traded, then that makes the Freeman contract a total disaster if he is unable to come back from injury and perform at a high level again.

And I think that is most people's frustration with the Falcons organization, their large contracts for under-performing players. Now I am sure that it is a common mistake by a lot of teams in the league, but running back is not a position where teams have to pay premium dollars to and Trufant (IMO) has not been a shut-down corner (I know there is really no such thing with exception of maybe Deion Sanders) as advertised. 

I'm not a salary cap specialist, but I am sure hoping that Julio, Campbell, Deion, and Jarrett can all be re-signed in the near future and not lost due to the poor contracts of Freeman and Trufant.

I also hope that Keanu is not the odd man out but he would be the guy I would let walk due to the it being easier to replace his position because of the amount of constant talent entering the league from the college ranks.

I imagine the Falcons will try hard to lock Deion Jones up this off season.  I think they've let it get so late in the game with Jarrett that resigning him is going to be pretty difficult and they don't want to find themselves in the same spot with Debo next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I imagine the Falcons will try hard to lock Deion Jones up this off season.  I think they've let it get so late in the game with Jarrett that resigning him is going to be pretty difficult and they don't want to find themselves in the same spot with Debo next year.

That may be true about Jarrett being difficult to re-sign, but now looking at this year, it would be extremely difficult to live without him. 

It appears that he has built some value for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SOI said:

That may be true about Jarrett being difficult to re-sign, but now looking at this year, it would be extremely difficult to live without him. 

It appears that he has built some value for himself.

It's a tough spot for the Falcons because I think that Jarrett isn't quite worth a franchise tag number and that number would make some other things difficult, but he's so close to seeing what his worth around the league is now that I can't see him signing until free agency opens.

Maybe the Falcons bite the bullet and go ahead and put the tag on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It's a tough spot for the Falcons because I think that Jarrett isn't quite worth a franchise tag number and that number would make some other things difficult, but he's so close to seeing what his worth around the league is now that I can't see him signing until free agency opens.

Maybe the Falcons bite the bullet and go ahead and put the tag on him.

Jarrett is a keeper and you let Beasley walk. Perhaps that opens things up for the Falcons. 

Now....the old adage would also still apply to Beasley, who are you going to replace him with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites