Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Trufant and Alford speaks out about their play

114 posts in this topic

Both of em need to rise up in these last seven games or get gone. We free up $7.9M if we cut Alf and another $9.5M if we use a post June 1 cut on Tru next year. Gotta replace em with NFL caliber starters though. Should be able to with $17.4M. Current replacement options on the 2019 roster are Oliver, Kazee and Gage. Scary.

2 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

Don't tell me. Show me.  

Cosign. I know they can do better. they just have to actually do it

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

These are such lame answers man. Why are people so afraid to come out and say point-blank “I sucked, I’m sorry, I’ll get better”. Duke had the same responses. Tru saying “well if I didn’t drop some picks y’all wouldn’t be on me” is soooooo lame. First, you DID drop the picks and cost us games. Second, it’s no excuse for being awful in every other area. I’m done with Tru. 

I dont really think theres any substantive difference between what they said and what you're saying they should have said. 

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Both of em need to rise up in these last seven games or get gone. We free up $7.9M if we cut Alf and another $9.5M if we use a post June 1 cut on Tru next year. Gotta replace em with NFL caliber starters though. Should be able to with $17.4M. Current replacement options on the 2019 roster are Oliver, Kazee and Gage. Scary.

We arent cutting both of them and we definitely arent cutting Trufant. Nor should we. Alford is a TBD guy. 

If your plan is to cut two players to gain $18m to give to two other players, you arent doing it right. 

You're also continuing to live in a fantasy world where all positions are manned by FA "NFL caliber starters"

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

We arent cutting both of them and we definitely arent cutting Trufant. Nor should we. Alford is a TBD guy. 

If your plan is to cut two players to gain $18m to give to two other players, you arent doing it right. 

You're also continuing to live in a fantasy world where all positions are manned by FA "NFL caliber starters"

Alford is a TBD guy?? (I'm seriously asking, what does that mean?)

I agree....people that post stuff on here about cutting players seem to forget that you don't just go and find someone off the street to replace them. And although Oliver has shown some flashes, I'm not sure he is an immediate starter.

On the other hand....what is the level of accountability that is on the team right now? I understand that the Falcons have always been exceptional inn keeping these matters internal, but it doesn't ever seem as though players ever get benched or cut.

Nearly everyone plays out their contract with exception of some inury plagued or cap casualty players. 

And all of that would be okay if the Falcons actively participated in free agency to promote those employee benefits....just my opinion.

GhostofGritz likes this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

These are such lame answers man. Why are people so afraid to come out and say point-blank “I sucked, I’m sorry, I’ll get better”. Duke had the same responses. Tru saying “well if I didn’t drop some picks y’all wouldn’t be on me” is soooooo lame. First, you DID drop the picks and cost us games. Second, it’s no excuse for being awful in every other area. I’m done with Tru. 

My sentiments exactly. Whether true or not, having a mentality of if this, then that is not going to help you get better.

Just now, Flying Falcon said:

@SOI  TBD? You dont know what that mean?:huh: "Total Bad@$$ Dude".

:D

I like Alford....always have. He has a dog in him when he plays that is awesome to watch (and the pick six in the SB).

That's why it is frustrating to see his play this year....guessing he is battling through an injury.

But yeah...a TBD!

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, SOI said:

Alford is a TBD guy?? (I'm seriously asking, what does that mean?)

I agree....people that post stuff on here about cutting players seem to forget that you don't just go and find someone off the street to replace them. And although Oliver has shown some flashes, I'm not sure he is an immediate starter.

On the other hand....what is the level of accountability that is on the team right now? I understand that the Falcons have always been exceptional inn keeping these matters internal, but it doesn't ever seem as though players ever get benched or cut.

Nearly everyone plays out their contract with exception of some inury plagued or cap casualty players. 

And all of that would be okay if the Falcons actively participated in free agency to promote those employee benefits....just my opinion.

Whether he stays on the team or gets released is to be determined (TBD). I could see him sticking around because his cap number isnt brutal. But the structure of his contract also means he can be released for minimal dead money and his release would free up substantial cap space. My guess would be that he, Brooks Reed, Ryan Schraeder, and maybe Sanu lead the list of potential veteran releases/restructures. But Alford's the biggest source of cap relief among those players. 

As for accountability, like you said, things stay internal. I agree, it would be nice to see DQ bench a struggling player. But if he feels struggling Alford is going to give the team a better chance to win than Oliver, I dont blame him for keeping Alford on the field. Thats a tough thing to balance. 

I dont understand the notion that "nearly everyone plays out their contract with exception of some inury plagued or cap casualty players." I mean....it has to be that way, right? Teams sign guys to contracts and release them when the contract becomes a net-negative on the cap. Are you suggesting a "disciplinary cut" sort of thing? Like....you're playing like garbage, you're gone? If so, the problem with that is that contracts for players on the Week 1 roster become guaranteed through the season. So you really arent getting any benefit from cutting guys unless they were depth additions made throughout the season. 

For better or for worse, we don't really splash around in FA all that much anymore. We've sorta moved toward the NE/GB model where we're looking to grow and develop draft picks and supplement with reasonable value FA acquisitions. There are def. draw backs to that approach...but there are also benefits. 

19 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If they keep playin like they have so far both need to get cut. Me and you could do that for $216,937 a year bro. Maybe less.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If they keep playin like they have so far in 2018 both need to get cut. Me and you could do that for $216,937 a year bro. Maybe less.

Cutting Trufant would be a disastrous move, I dont care how poorly he's played.

He isnt going anywhere until 2021. 

Alford is gonna bounce back, cause he from da Boot, came from a small school, and dont want to go back to being looked at as a nobody. He worked his butt off for everything he got.

Trufant? Well, he is what he is. He's a lost cause. He rode his brothers' coattails to the league.

Road Warrior likes this

Cutting Trufant would be a disastrous move, I dont care how poorly he's played.

He isnt going anywhere until 2021. 

If he keeps up this crap what would Larry do? Bench him, trade him for a 7th, cut him, or let him keep stinking up the field?

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If he keeps up this level of play what would you do? Bench him, trade him for a bag of peanuts, cut him, or let him keep stinking up the field?

He isnt being traded either. The cap implications are just too big to overreact to a down season from a player who has been very good for the vast majority of his career. 

Frankly, the entire defensive philosophy needs a careful examination at what works, what doesnt, etc. But thats offseason stuff. 

Right now, maybe you think about benching him to send a message. More likely, I think you wait for Debo to get back on the field and see how the defense settles in. He changes the entire way the defense operates. 

7 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Whether he stays on the team or gets released is to be determined (TBD). I could see him sticking around because his cap number isnt brutal. But the structure of his contract also means he can be released for minimal dead money and his release would free up substantial cap space. My guess would be that he, Brooks Reed, Ryan Schraeder, and maybe Sanu lead the list of potential veteran releases/restructures. But Alford's the biggest source of cap relief among those players. 

As for accountability, like you said, things stay internal. I agree, it would be nice to see DQ bench a struggling player. But if he feels struggling Alford is going to give the team a better chance to win than Oliver, I dont blame him for keeping Alford on the field. Thats a tough thing to balance. 

I dont understand the notion that "nearly everyone plays out their contract with exception of some inury plagued or cap casualty players." I mean....it has to be that way, right? Teams sign guys to contracts and release them when the contract becomes a net-negative on the cap. Are you suggesting a "disciplinary cut" sort of thing? Like....you're playing like garbage, you're gone? If so, the problem with that is that contracts for players on the Week 1 roster become guaranteed through the season. So you really arent getting any benefit from cutting guys unless they were depth additions made throughout the season. 

For better or for worse, we don't really splash around in FA all that much anymore. We've sorta moved toward the NE/GB model where we're looking to grow and develop draft picks and supplement with reasonable value FA acquisitions. There are def. draw backs to that approach...but there are also benefits. 

I get everything you are saying....and I'm certainly not in the camp that Alford should be cut no matter what potential type of cap relief source he is.

The Browns game was frustrating but to keep it in context, the Browns had a new offensive scheme and Greg Williams acting with complete autonomy to deal with.

Trufant's play was visibly exposed last week but has been apparent for those that have been watching (imo). I also maintain that he should have been traded before the season started when he was at his largest value...taking our lumps with whatever backup the Falcons had (perhaps this also is a pipe dream). 

I just would like to see Matt Ryan Co. win one before his end at quarterback!!

1 minute ago, SOI said:

I get everything you are saying....and I'm certainly not in the camp that Alford should be cut no matter what potential type of cap relief source he is.

The Browns game was frustrating but to keep it in context, the Browns had a new offensive scheme and Greg Williams acting with complete autonomy to deal with.

Trufant's play was visibly exposed last week but has been apparent for those that have been watching (imo). I also maintain that he should have been traded before the season started when he was at his largest value...taking our lumps with whatever backup the Falcons had (perhaps this also is a pipe dream). 

I just would like to see Matt Ryan Co. win one before his end at quarterback!!

Once he signed his extension, he essentially became untradeable until 2021. Trading players accelerates all of their prorated money to the cap. In Trufant's situation, trading him before the season would have accelerated almost $30m in dead money to the cap. Not possible.  In theory, he could be traded next offseason but he'd still be on the books for $15m. It just doesnt make sense to "pay" a dude $15m who isnt on your team anymore. 

I think he's had a pretty rough season, for sure. I couldnt tell you why but my guess would be that he and Alford have had their responsibilities change somewhat to help cover for Rico/Keanu/Debo being out. Its hurt both of them tremendously. I'm sure there are other things at play of course. The pass rush has flashed at times but has largely been inconsistent, which is going to crush pretty much any secondary if it happens for prolonged periods of time. 

I agree about the context of the Browns game....not that I think Greg Williams is a great coach or anything. But they definitely put a ton of effort into creative gameplanning and that knocked the defense off balance from the get go. Unfortunately for us, we had that drive stall at the goal line and that other drive die in Cleveland territory. Thats the game right there. 

This seems destined to be a very frustrating season which makes sense given the toll injuries have taken on the team. But all there is to do is for the team to get back out there this week and do better. Two weeks ago the team had its best performance of the season against a decent opponent. It needs to get back in that mindset and performance level. 

I re-watched some of the game and it is tough to say how bad Trufant really was. A couple of times it looked like he expected help that didn't come from Campbell or Neasman, but I am still pissed about the Chubb run. He is definitely not the sole reason for the long run, but I hated the fact that it looked like he didn't even try on the play. Alford on the other hand was horrible. He was beaten by just about everyone they lined up across from him. I don't if he is hurt or what, but he doesn't look right.

With that said, you cannot cut both guys. I really do think you will see the entire defense improve with Debo back. My take is you see how the defense plays the rest of the season and go from there. Alford is the only one you can realistically cut next year.

9 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

He isnt being traded either. The cap implications are just too big to overreact to a down season from a player who has been very good for the vast majority of his career. 

Frankly, the entire defensive philosophy needs a careful examination at what works, what doesnt, etc. But thats offseason stuff. 

Right now, maybe you think about benching him to send a message. More likely, I think you wait for Debo to get back on the field and see how the defense settles in. He changes the entire way the defense operates. 

I still think we'll see major roster moves next year. We have about $30M in cap space but only 36 under contract. 16 of em suck.

There will likely be several cap casualties. Beasley, Shredder, Reed, Fusco, Sanu, Alf and Tru could be good candidates.

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I still think we'll see major roster moves next year. We have about $30M in cap space but only 36 under contract. 16 of em suck.

There will likely be several cap casualties. Beasley, Shredder, Reed, Fusco, Sanu, Alf and Tru could be good candidates.

Yeah, some guys will be cut, but I would be surprised if Beasley or Tru get cut. As much as Beasley has struggled, his is still a valuable piece of this defense. We use him as a spy on some of the more mobile QB's and he still gets a lot of attention in the passing game through chips from the TE and double teams. If anything, we might trade him because he still has value. You can't cut Trufant with his contract.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

sigh....

One more time...Trufant is NOT a good "cap casualty" contract. His release gets you no legitimate cap relief and, instead, saddles you with dead money. There's no reason to do that. It's counterproductive to do that. It makes us a significantly worse team. 

As for having "36 under contract" we're also looking at 9 draft picks (45). Which leaves 6 spots on the cap table unfilled as of right now. 

You arent going to see "major roster moves" you're doing to see a continued emphasis on drafting/development and supplementation with mostly value veterans. MAYBE you see one "splashy" move but this team has clearly pivoted toward a homegrown model. With pretty good results. 

24 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Once he signed his extension, he essentially became untradeable until 2021. Trading players accelerates all of their prorated money to the cap. In Trufant's situation, trading him before the season would have accelerated almost $30m in dead money to the cap. Not possible.  In theory, he could be traded next offseason but he'd still be on the books for $15m. It just doesnt make sense to "pay" a dude $15m who isnt on your team anymore.

I think he's had a pretty rough season, for sure. I couldnt tell you why but my guess would be that he and Alford have had their responsibilities change somewhat to help cover for Rico/Keanu/Debo being out. Its hurt both of them tremendously. I'm sure there are other things at play of course. The pass rush has flashed at times but has largely been inconsistent, which is going to crush pretty much any secondary if it happens for prolonged periods of time. 

I agree about the context of the Browns game....not that I think Greg Williams is a great coach or anything. But they definitely put a ton of effort into creative gameplanning and that knocked the defense off balance from the get go. Unfortunately for us, we had that drive stall at the goal line and that other drive die in Cleveland territory. Thats the game right there. 

This seems destined to be a very frustrating season which makes sense given the toll injuries have taken on the team. But all there is to do is for the team to get back out there this week and do better. Two weeks ago the team had its best performance of the season against a decent opponent. It needs to get back in that mindset and performance level. 

Saints do it all the time. And they're leading the division.

4 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Saints do it all the time. And they're leading the division.

And know why they're leading the division? Because they've put a couple really strong drafts together. Thats the clearest path to sustainable success.....draft/develop well. Not because they cut good players for $15m in dead money. And FWIW, the Saints arent paying anyone $15m on their cap to not be there. Their largest dead money hit is Fleener with ~8m spread out over two years. 

And know why they're leading the division? Because they've put a couple really strong drafts together. Thats the clearest path to sustainable success.....draft/develop well. Not because they cut good players for $15m in dead money. And FWIW, the Saints arent paying anyone $15m on their cap to not be there. Their largest dead money hit is Fleener with ~8m spread out over two years. 

Well, we have no one on our staff to "develop" our draft picks. So here we are

And yes, they were paying Graham, Sproles, etc...

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont really think theres any substantive difference between what they said and what you're saying they should have said. 

Tru beating around the **** bush bro

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

My sentiments exactly. Whether true or not, having a mentality of if this, then that is not going to help you get better.

Yep. And just ownership. I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff in my life. Owning it gains the respect of everyone around you and makes you better. If Tru just owns it, the media doesn’t have any ammo to pick apart what you’re saying either.