chitowndirtybird

Can't beat the AFC??

18 posts in this topic

It seems that way and I'm wondering why.  Maybe some of the football minds here can explain this.  Is it lack of preparation for an unfamiliar opponent?  Not enough film for players and coaches?  Why can the other team execute in these matchups but not this team?  Do coaches prep so much for divisional opponents that they lose the ability to play sound football outside of specializing the rosters and play calls for familiar opponents?  There has to be a reason that afterthought AFC teams seemingly consistently beat this team.

1 hour ago, chitowndirtybird said:

It seems that way and I'm wondering why.  Maybe some of the football minds here can explain this.  Is it lack of preparation for an unfamiliar opponent?  Not enough film for players and coaches?  Why can the other team execute in these matchups but not this team?  Do coaches prep so much for divisional opponents that they lose the ability to play sound football outside of specializing the rosters and play calls for familiar opponents?  There has to be a reason that afterthought AFC teams seemingly consistently beat this team.

We did dominate the best AFC team of all time for 3 quarters. But we had 2 weeks to prepare for them. 

By next season Dan Quinn will have played every AFC team once so hopefully that will help. 

chitowndirtybird likes this

I feel like the whole "we can't beat AFC teams" thing is a bit of stretch. We aren't continually getting whooped by AFC opponents, we're just often coming up a hair too short of getting the win most of the time. The issue to me is simply an unfortunate inability to close out winnable games... no matter what conference,

In 2015 we went 3-1 & the one game we lost was to the Colts by just a FG.

In 2016 we went 2-3 & all three losses were very winnable games... vs SD we lost on a FG in OT, vs KC on a failed 2pt, and of course vs. NE in the Super Bowl where we had the game in hand, gave it away, and lost in OT.

In 2017 we went 1-3 only one of those losses was legit, We got absolutely hosed on terrible calls vs the Bills & Dolphins which lead to those close losses. NE actually beat us outright because they were almost undoubtedly taking up a lot of real estate in the minds of the players due to the then recent memory of handing the Pats a Lombardi in the biggest collapse in the history of football.

In 2018 we are 0-3 thus far, but being riddled with injuries to starters al over the defense & o-line has to be factored in when discussing the team's struggles this year. The game vs. Cincy was a 1 point affair that we could've easily won. Pittsburgh whooped us, and the Browns did as well... although the later seems to be a combination of the coaches seeing things they had no film of due to Cleveland's coaching changes. Marquand Manuel confirmed in his interview this week that they were facing plays & looks that were not scouted because there was absolutely no film at all of many things they pulled out against us in the first game of newly appointed OC Todd Kinchin's scheme. Add to that reports of our players overlooking Cleveland & it's easy to see why that went the way it did.

So, just looking at wins & losses with no context at all, it looks much worse than it really is. DQ just needs them to play all 4 quarters week in & week out, and then it's a non-issue... no matter who we are up against.

26 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

"Its the Browns. We'll figure it out" , said some player on this team i wont name.

Thats the kind of attitude and lack of preparation that gets people fired.

I seriously think that's a by-product of young guys who have been to the playoffs nearly every year that they've been in the league.

Guys like Mack & Sanu spent half their careers on bad teams, so they get it & value the importance of taking nothing for granted. Along with the work ethic of guys like Ryan & Julio, those vets all likely help keep the other offensive players heads in the game no matter what.

However, I'm not so sure we have those kind of leaders on D. For guys like, Debo, Rico, Grady, Beasley, Neal, Campbell, Poole, etc., all they've ever known thus far is winning seasons & making the playoffs. Hopefully Bruce Irvin can be that guy, but he's only been here a week... so while the young guys may like him, they probably don't buy into him fully yet. Tru & Rocky aren't those guys. Brooks Reed is not that guy. In 2016, I think Babs was that guy & bringing in Dwight Freeney helped reinforce it.

We need that guy for this D badly right now.

5 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

i think it was Devondra Campbell that said that

Campbell did mention that in interviews, but I'm pretty sure he was just alluding to the overall mindset he felt the team had going into the game & wasn't actually quoting any of his teammates.

5 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

i think it was Devondra Campbell that said that

But it wasn't. Specifically with me knowing Dre personally. He's always had a hustle mentality, it's kind of funny that this quote is getting so much press. He's always been a tell it like it is guy, just so happens this time it came during a loss. Dude is by far the most humble guy I've ever met.

Edited by jetpac

1 minute ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Im not trying to call him out, but somebody on the defense did say that.

He was referring to the lackadaisical attitude the team took in to the Browns games more so than anything else. And it showed.

We're also 1-10 at home vs the AFC since 2013, and 1-6 at home under Dan Quinn. I would hate hate hate hate for Matt Ryan to be 1-2 vs Joe Flacco and 0-8 vs the AFC North since 2014. The Falcons also have the worst record against the spread vs AFC opponents since 2013. 

4 hours ago, chitowndirtybird said:

Another easy answer because we suck...

2 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

"Its the Browns. We'll figure it out" , said some player on this team i wont name.

Thats the kind of attitude and lack of preparation that gets people fired.

That's one player though. That doesn't mean Matt Ryan or Julio or Vic Beasley or Grady or Takk took the Browns lightly.

It's just one of those fluky things. There isn't any of this "Falcons can't beat the AFC crap" going on. It's just a fluky unexplainable thing that sometimes happens in sports.