Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BamaBirdLady

It is just painful being a Falcon's fan

56 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

I love the folk who think they've experienced fandom misery that have only been fans for 10-20 years.

Kids... gods bless 'em. 

You should have been there in Atlanta Fulton co. stadium back in 1980 when "Falconing" was in its infancy.

Yep. 

I was in the stands the day the 0-13 Colts came in. 

Naturally, they left town 1-13. 

Geneaut, PokerSteve, E. T. and 1 other like this

18 hours ago, octoslash said:

I don't blame the miserable fans for posting negative stuff on the board as long as it's the truth. 

Sometimes the truth hurts. 

Having said that...there are some certifiably insane posters around here, too.  To them, instead of getting angry, I just laugh because they're usually pretty amusing. 

Far as being painful...yep, fan since 1973 myself, there isn't much Falcon pain I haven't lived through.  Since LI* though, when things go awful like they did Sunday in Cleveland, it doesn't bother me as much anymore.  It just makes me shake my head and wonder how they could screw up things over, and over, and over...and over again.  It really is odd. 

*The only 'good' thing about LI was that nothing in the sports world will ever be so terrible again, to me anyway.  Even if they lost the next five Super Bowls in a row, nothing can come close to the devastation of 28-3. 

This sums up how I feel...

If it's painful to turn on the TV and watch every week, the Falcons aren't the problem, the problem is you.

It's a ******** TV show. Get over yourself.

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

Yep. 

I've told my friends repeatedly through the years, and it rings as true today as it ever has, but the FALCONS need to be renamed the Atlanta SLUMPBUSTERS. Too often a team will come in who has been completely deficient in some category - wins, passing TD's, rushing yds, etc, and will have a breakout game against the birds. Remember Samkon Gado? Nobody else does either, but bah gawd he had a record day against us. Remember that time Carolina ran the wildcat all game and Atl had no answer? Or that time Cleveland was reeling and fired their coach and started a rookie qb and oh no I'm going down a dark hole...

PokerSteve and octoslash like this

3 minutes ago, ChiefGSU275 said:

I've told my friends repeatedly through the years, and it rings as true today as it ever has, but the FALCONS need to be renamed the Atlanta SLUMPBUSTERS. Too often a team will come in who has been completely deficient in some category - wins, passing TD's, rushing yds, etc, and will have a breakout game against the birds. Remember Samkon Gado? Nobody else does either, but bah gawd he had a record day against us. Remember that time Carolina ran the wildcat all game and Atl had no answer? Or that time Cleveland was reeling and fired their coach and started a rookie qb and oh no I'm going down a dark hole...

Or maybe the

ATLANTA CURE

22 hours ago, Disco said:

I have only been around the Falcons for 4-5 years or something. Just picked them because i though it was an interesting team. Never visited Atlanta and never watched a game live, but that's a future dream that i hope come true some day soon! As you probably can guess, i'm from Denmark and i have been watching soccer for many years. My local team has never won anything and they will never win a championship just because they don't have the money to compete. 

I wanted to try something new, and i started by watching NFL. And now i'm football all the time. I have been watching all the Atlanta Falcons games ever since. I watched SB with a lot of Patriots fans back in 2017. And guess what, that was real painful. I threw my cellphone so hard to the ground when we didn't score in the last seconds against Eagles in the play off. Did the same thing in our first game this season. But guess what, i'm still believing in this team, but the most painful thing about being a supporter of this team is all the Falcons fans who are not believing in this team at all. Stays negative all the time. I think the only thing that can cheer them up is a SB victory. Hope we get one in the next couple of years. 

Great post my friend.

Funny thing is that the Falcons before this last 10 years have been pretty much a doormat for most of the franchise's life.Outside of a few rays of sunshine we've never ever known what good consistent football looks like outside of the last decade.

I'm with we'll get there.

22 hours ago, bertrain7 said:

It is painful being a Falcons fan.  Things like this happen to every team every now and again. We are hurt bad though and the browns aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. Their potential is high they have some high calibre players over there.

The worst thing about being a falcons fan is most of the fanbase is toxic. I keep reading these boards over the years but It just makes me feel worse because there is so many ignorant and toxic people on these boards.

If you come upon a cup full of poison, don't drink it. If you drink it not just once but over and over again...that's just the definition of.......a Falcon's fan!

12 hours ago, IndiscreetGeek said:

Just can't wait to get blown the **** out in front of the world on Thanksgiving by our arch enemy and have our season be officially over.

You can't wait? I'm sitting here wishing the days would slow down.

IndiscreetGeek likes this

On 11/14/2018 at 3:34 PM, BamaBirdLady said:

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

I'm right there with ya man. I was visiting my father in law, so I was watching, but couldn't get too wrapped up in it. Had I been at home I would have been screaming at the TV.

Atlanta Falcons fans are the exact analogy of Charlie Brown kicking the football, with the NFL playing the role of Lucy.

PokerSteve likes this

On 11/14/2018 at 3:34 PM, BamaBirdLady said:

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

I totally 100% feel you man! An organization to allow their players to overlook any team in the NFL is not professional like and if you ask me for them to have that mentality the whole team's you just begun it from head to toe from top to bottom and just completely get an entire new culture here in Atlanta

23 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Just saying people, the majority of franchises who are not dynasties like the Patriots or the Cowboys & 49ers of back then don't get back to the Super Bowl with over half of their same roster from the previous Super Bowl team who LOST. It rarely happens. If we end up being like the Eagles, then more than likely we aren't getting back to the Super Bowl until the 2028 season when there is new group of players and coaching staff, and that 2028 season would come out of no where when no one saw it coming.

A lot of franchises who win their first Super Bowl had a losing record the year before. Both of the Falcons teams who went to the Super Bowl were .500 or worse the year before. We came into 2018 thinking we were the best team in the NFL when we really weren't, it doesn't work that way. Historically the Falcons best years come when no one believed coming in. This defense won't be fixed in one year even with the healthy players back, and our offense probably won't be the same after this year because of our salary cap and free agency. Alex Mack and Julio Jones won't last forever either.

What dumbfounds me is that I keep hearing how the stadium in Atlanta is never full before kickoff or not noisy throughout the game, like are road teams ever intimidated coming into the Dome or Benz? Maybe this is why we keep losing at home to AFC teams. Why is it that with the Saints whether they are good or bad it's always an intimidating place to play? We know Philadelphia is always a loud rowdy place for road teams, long before their Super Bowl drought ended. Do Super Bowl rings come to franchises in a city where the fans actually care 100% 24/7 and the WHOLE crowd stands up and yells to the top of their lungs when the defense is on the field on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down? Cause I don't see that in Atlanta. 

It's almost like I have a feeling that the only way this city is getting a Super Bowl is if there is a new player one day who comes into Atlanta, surprises the city and the league, and that dynamic player whether he's our next QB, next premiere running back, or a controversial defensive end or corner with fire (like Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis) draws a lot more fans and season tickets. He's not only a player who's one of the best of all time at his position, but he's a controversial player who speaks whatever he wants to and he may call out the team or the fans without being ashamed. He brings this unbelievable energy to the locker room like most Super Bowl teams have. 

The Falcons are still missing that guy unfortunately. Takk is the closest guy we have but he's still very young. Matt Ryan is statistically better than Michael Vick and will always be better than Michael Vick in most aspects, but Michael Vick made the Falcons fanbase grow in large numbers when he was in his prime because he had that swagger that sparked the city. Matt Ryan is great, but he does not have that swagger, but that doesn't matter to me unlike many other people or casual fans lets say. Unfortunately, I can't control what other people around the Atlanta or metro area do. I wish they had a football IQ high enough to always stand on your feet and yell when the defense is on the field every down like LSU fans in Death Valley  or Seattle fans at CenturyLink Field. 

Interesting points. You're right about it coming "out of the blue". When you expect to go to the Super Bowl, you almost never do. '79 came out of the blue. In '80 we expected it and blew it. '98 came out of nowhere. I expected to go back in '99 and even 2000, but nope. 2016 came out of nowhere. But I knew we had NO CHANCE last year. It was too soon. This year, I expected it. And we have the injuries.

Vick WAS that guy you were talking about to energize the fan base. Or he had the potential to be. But he chose to party not study. You can't get by in the NFL on talent alone. I also think if we had kept Reeves, he could've mentored Vick through it. Mora/Knapp was the absolute WORST coach and system for Vick. Lesson learned on his part AND ours.

As for the fan base. It's been beaten to death, but in short:

1) The South is COLLEGE football territory. It doesn't have the long term NFL history of Green Bay, Chicago, etc.. UGA is king in Georgia. Not the Falcons until they win about 3 Super Bowls.
2) Atlanta is a TRANSIENT town. Most people who live here did NOT grow up here and were already fans of other teams.
3) The organization totally underestimated #1 and #2 when they set that ridiculous PSL plan in effect. As a 50 year STH, it's infuriating to me.
4) The organization completely overestimated our ability to promptly get to and WIN a Super Bowl based on our talent on paper. Still, had the last 8:35 of SB51 gone differently, our crowds would look more like they do for the soccer games, not the morgue-like environment it currently is.

mqg96 likes this

7 hours ago, octoslash said:

Yep. 

And by blocking a punt for a TD with virtually no time left...you cannot make this stuff up. All we had to do was get the punt off...this team, man I'll tell ya. 

PokerSteve likes this

56 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

And by blocking a punt for a TD with virtually no time left...you cannot make this stuff up. All we had to do was get the punt off...this team, man I'll tell ya. 

Astonishingly bizarre. Best-suited for fans who like dark comedy with a kinky football twist. :lol:

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Not only that...but the Colts came back from double-digit defecits TWICE in that game.   Ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Not only that...but the Colts came back from double-digit defecits TWICE in that game.   Ridiculous. 

We just got Falconized in that game...it's happen probably a 100 times since then. :D

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Great post my friend.

Funny thing is that the Falcons before this last 10 years have been pretty much a doormat for most of the franchise's life.Outside of a few rays of sunshine we've never ever known what good consistent football looks like outside of the last decade.

I'm with we'll get there.

Someday we will likely be viewing these years as the good years. 1 superbowl appearance and 2 other years where we were almost there............. Not much more you could ask for from the football gods. 

22 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Cant take you seriously if the first part of your name coincides with your college team.

True, I can understand that.

But I was raised in Atlanta going to Falcons games for as long as I can remember.  Family is all Dawgs. I chose Bama because I was the youngest of 5 and always swam upstream. 

Please know I went to Bama in the late 80's when we were not winning. The last 11 years is new to me.

Hey I'm 68 yrs old will be 69 soon. I have been a Falcon fan from the beginning. What I have learned over the years is this is the way the Falcons are. Sometimes up many times down. So I have learned to enjoy the wins and overlook the loses. If you try to watch them any other way you will have hurt feelings a lot. I don't imagine I will live long enough to see them win a SB. So I will just enjoy the wins and move on when they loose. 

1 hour ago, revrndzombie said:

Someday we will likely be viewing these years as the good years. 1 superbowl appearance and 2 other years where we were almost there............. Not much more you could ask for from the football gods. 

I mean..... 

This feels kind of depressing. 

I'm telling you it's the culture in Atlanta that just messes it up for all of us we all have this mediocre way of thinking and it affects the coaches and players

2 hours ago, revrndzombie said:

Don't get me wrong I want more too.

Its just the dismissive nature of a few that right off and pretend the Falcons are the same old Falcons of the past.