Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BamaBirdLady

It is just painful being a Falcon's fan

56 posts in this topic

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is painful being a Falcons fan.  Things like this happen to every team every now and again. We are hurt bad though and the browns aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. Their potential is high they have some high calibre players over there.

 

The worst thing about being a falcons fan is most of the fanbase is toxic. I keep reading these boards over the years but It just makes me feel worse because there is so many ignorant and toxic people on these boards.

Falcons32 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only been around the Falcons for 4-5 years or something. Just picked them because i though it was an interesting team. Never visited Atlanta and never watched a game live, but that's a future dream that i hope come true some day soon! As you probably can guess, i'm from Denmark and i have been watching soccer for many years. My local team has never won anything and they will never win a championship just because they don't have the money to compete. 

I wanted to try something new, and i started by watching NFL. And now i'm football all the time. I have been watching all the Atlanta Falcons games ever since. I watched SB with a lot of Patriots fans back in 2017. And guess what, that was real painful. I threw my cellphone so hard to the ground when we didn't score in the last seconds against Eagles in the play off. Did the same thing in our first game this season. But guess what, i'm still believing in this team, but the most painful thing about being a supporter of this team is all the Falcons fans who are not believing in this team at all. Stays negative all the time. I think the only thing that can cheer them up is a SB victory. Hope we get one in the next couple of years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame the miserable fans for posting negative stuff on the board as long as it's the truth. 

Sometimes the truth hurts. 

Having said that...there are some certifiably insane posters around here, too.  To them, instead of getting angry, I just laugh because they're usually pretty amusing. 

Far as being painful...yep, fan since 1973 myself, there isn't much Falcon pain I haven't lived through.  Since LI* though, when things go awful like they did Sunday in Cleveland, it doesn't bother me as much anymore.  It just makes me shake my head and wonder how they could screw up things over, and over, and over...and over again.  It really is odd. 

*The only 'good' thing about LI was that nothing in the sports world will ever be so terrible again, to me anyway.  Even if they lost the next five Super Bowls in a row, nothing can come close to the devastation of 28-3. 

Wardog357, E. T., Tandy and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Disco said:

I have only been around the Falcons for 4-5 years or something. Just picked them because i though it was an interesting team. Never visited Atlanta and never watched a game live, but that's a future dream that i hope come true some day soon! As you probably can guess, i'm from Denmark and i have been watching soccer for many years. My local team has never won anything and they will never win a championship just because they don't have the money to compete. 

I wanted to try something new, and i started by watching NFL. And now i'm football all the time. I have been watching all the Atlanta Falcons games ever since. I watched SB with a lot of Patriots fans back in 2017. And guess what, that was real painful. I threw my cellphone so hard to the ground when we didn't score in the last seconds against Eagles in the play off. Did the same thing in our first game this season. But guess what, i'm still believing in this team, but the most painful thing about being a supporter of this team is all the Falcons fans who are not believing in this team at all. Stays negative all the time. I think the only thing that can cheer them up is a SB victory. Hope we get one in the next couple of years. 

Brother you just don't know what you've got yourself involved in....but you're fresh to scene, you still have time to make your escape....lol

No seriously, welcome to the most heart pounding, gut wrenching, soul crushing soap opera show in the NFL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saying people, the majority of franchises who are not dynasties like the Patriots or the Cowboys & 49ers of back then don't get back to the Super Bowl with over half of their same roster from the previous Super Bowl team who LOST. It rarely happens. If we end up being like the Eagles, then more than likely we aren't getting back to the Super Bowl until the 2028 season when there is new group of players and coaching staff, and that 2028 season would come out of no where when no one saw it coming.

 

A lot of franchises who win their first Super Bowl had a losing record the year before. Both of the Falcons teams who went to the Super Bowl were .500 or worse the year before. We came into 2018 thinking we were the best team in the NFL when we really weren't, it doesn't work that way. Historically the Falcons best years come when no one believed coming in. This defense won't be fixed in one year even with the healthy players back, and our offense probably won't be the same after this year because of our salary cap and free agency. Alex Mack and Julio Jones won't last forever either.

 

What dumbfounds me is that I keep hearing how the stadium in Atlanta is never full before kickoff or not noisy throughout the game, like are road teams ever intimidated coming into the Dome or Benz? Maybe this is why we keep losing at home to AFC teams. Why is it that with the Saints whether they are good or bad it's always an intimidating place to play? We know Philadelphia is always a loud rowdy place for road teams, long before their Super Bowl drought ended. Do Super Bowl rings come to franchises in a city where the fans actually care 100% 24/7 and the WHOLE crowd stands up and yells to the top of their lungs when the defense is on the field on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down? Cause I don't see that in Atlanta. 

 

It's almost like I have a feeling that the only way this city is getting a Super Bowl is if there is a new player one day who comes into Atlanta, surprises the city and the league, and that dynamic player whether he's our next QB, next premiere running back, or a controversial defensive end or corner with fire (like Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis) draws a lot more fans and season tickets. He's not only a player who's one of the best of all time at his position, but he's a controversial player who speaks whatever he wants to and he may call out the team or the fans without being ashamed. He brings this unbelievable energy to the locker room like most Super Bowl teams have. 

 

The Falcons are still missing that guy unfortunately. Takk is the closest guy we have but he's still very young. Matt Ryan is statistically better than Michael Vick and will always be better than Michael Vick in most aspects, but Michael Vick made the Falcons fanbase grow in large numbers when he was in his prime because he had that swagger that sparked the city. Matt Ryan is great, but he does not have that swagger, but that doesn't matter to me unlike many other people or casual fans lets say. Unfortunately, I can't control what other people around the Atlanta or metro area do. I wish they had a football IQ high enough to always stand on your feet and yell when the defense is on the field every down like LSU fans in Death Valley  or Seattle fans at CenturyLink Field. 

Tandy and tywreezy33 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

I been a Falcons fan since the early 90's and I remember the Falcons always being a team that if they made the playoffs we were happy. 1998 gave us hope but felt more like a fluke tbh. When Mike Vick got here we could never get past Philly or NE. (Same as today but I think we are capable of beating Philly or NE now). I never really saw us as a true Championship contender until 2012 and 2016 until Matt Ryan retires.  

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Unfortunately, I can't control what other people around the Atlanta or metro area do. I wish they had a football IQ high enough to always stand on your feet and yell when the defense is on the field every down like LSU fans in Death Valley  or Seattle fans at CenturyLink Field. 

Atlanta fans are the smartest fans in the world, you didn't know this?

We show up and cheer when the team is performing, We show up and cheer when church is over, We show up and cheer once we've gotten filled with BBQ and beer from tailgating.

We don't care to see the opposing QB sit in the pocket making a batch of brownies while picking our defense apart, We don't care to see our corners get burnt worse than those over cooked brownies either....

We are the smartest fans ever! We're like the stock market of the NFL...we're results based!

11=team and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

I Know its Horrible! This team is cursed. It has driven me to insanity since 1978

PokerSteve and BamaBirdLady like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been a falcons fan since the early 90’s, when I was in middle school, and I have resigned myself to this truth - 

 

If this franchise can’t win a Super Bowl up 28-3 late in the 3rd quarter, then it just ain’t happening. 

 

 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, octoslash said:

I don't blame the miserable fans for posting negative stuff on the board as long as it's the truth. 

Sometimes the truth hurts. 

Having said that...there are some certifiably insane posters around here, too.  To them, instead of getting angry, I just laugh because they're usually pretty amusing. 

Far as being painful...yep, fan since 1973 myself, there isn't much Falcon pain I haven't lived through.  Since LI* though, when things go awful like they did Sunday in Cleveland, it doesn't bother me as much anymore.  It just makes me shake my head and wonder how they could screw up things over, and over, and over...and over again.  It really is odd. 

*The only 'good' thing about LI was that nothing in the sports world will ever be so terrible again, to me anyway.  Even if they lost the next five Super Bowls in a row, nothing can come close to the devastation of 28-3. 

^^^^^^This is my perspective almost to a "T"

octoslash likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Disco said:

I have only been around the Falcons for 4-5 years or something. Just picked them because i though it was an interesting team. Never visited Atlanta and never watched a game live, but that's a future dream that i hope come true some day soon! As you probably can guess, i'm from Denmark and i have been watching soccer for many years. My local team has never won anything and they will never win a championship just because they don't have the money to compete. 

I wanted to try something new, and i started by watching NFL. And now i'm football all the time. I have been watching all the Atlanta Falcons games ever since. I watched SB with a lot of Patriots fans back in 2017. And guess what, that was real painful. I threw my cellphone so hard to the ground when we didn't score in the last seconds against Eagles in the play off. Did the same thing in our first game this season. But guess what, i'm still believing in this team, but the most painful thing about being a supporter of this team is all the Falcons fans who are not believing in this team at all. Stays negative all the time. I think the only thing that can cheer them up is a SB victory. Hope we get one in the next couple of years. 

Yeah, a lot of us have been watching this team for years. They get so close and then fall back into the pit of misery. But we always come back for more. Years ago, when we were horrible every year, the challenge was seeing who could get the highest draft pick. Things have changed, but we will always vent and be negative when we lose. We hate the losing part.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I grew up here and I am probably older than a lot of you and I am just tried of being let down year after year by the Falcons. From the 1970s when my Dad would take me down to Fulton County Stadium and then my first dose of let down in the playoffs with the Cowboys, to the kick against the Viking, we go to the Super Bowl only to have our CB arrested the night before and we lose in the Super Bowl, to the hype of Mike Vick and the win at Green Bay, then he goes jail, to the drafting of Julio and another trip to Super Bowl and I don't need to say anything more.

Sunday was the first time in over 30 years that I have been watching a game and walked away from the televsion. It was so painful to watch my guys play they way that they did! Then I hear a player say that they overlooked the Browns! What!!

I just don't know, I am not a fair weathered fan, I have seen all the good and bad and keep coming back for more and will more than likely watch the next games, but it is just painful and such a let down!

Make no mistake about it, the CLE game was awful, but I can think of at least 66 Falcon games that were worse. The first one that comes to mind is the last game of 1989 which was my first year as a STH, after 20 challenging years as a fan and 24 as an observer. It was our last game of the season. Deion's rookie year. The temp was in the 30s-40s with rain comin in sideways. A rookie named Barry Sanders ran over us and closed out our season at 3-13. In front of 7,000 faithful. Hanifan was the  interim HC after the Swamp Fox's second stint as our HC, following an 11-33 run. True story. I was there. Sunday wasn't that bad. Trust me. Comin up on 50 years as a fan now. I was over the CLE loss before 60 Minutes ended at 8pm Sunday night. Yall boys better hunker down if you're gonna be a Falcon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0