The Falcon Jedi Knight

Does this team even have a FullBack?

23 posts in this topic

I dont know what Sark and Ryan were doing all last game. All Ryan was doing was throwing to Tight Ends. I dont know if he even targeted a WR.

And those Debacles at the 1 Yard Line were embarassing

Did they spend all night before at a Bar? This wasnt the same Offense we saw the week before.

2 hours ago, E. T. said:

Yeah, Ricky Ortiz is our FB. But you're right, he's been ghost... FB must not be a high priority in this scheme, but it should be. 

Which is hurting our running game. I don't get us running sweeps. Our OL blocks well on screens and sweeps, but the blocking develops too slow.

Ever since Bob Christian, the Falcons fullbacks have been asked to make up the deficits in the Falcons' chronically underdrafted, underscouted, underpaid and undersized lines. When a Christian, Ovie or DeMarco is available, finesse can be allowed to flourish. At least until they meet an opponent like San Francisco in the 2012 NFC championship game.

Edited by Doctor Kildare

The F O have made questionable decisions at FB 2 years in a row. Last year DQ kept the deaf guy, great guy inspirational story but not a great football player. This year DQ keeps Ortiz great story and inspirational to Mexicans but we should have kept 260 lb Fowler. TD is going to have to bring a real bruising fullback in here and then we'll make some of these 3rd and ones

15 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

I dont know what Sark and Ryan were doing all last game. All Ryan was doing was throwing to Tight Ends. I dont know if he even targeted a WR.

And those Debacles at the 1 Yard Line were embarassing

Did they spend all night before at a Bar? This wasnt the same Offense we saw the week before.

WR and Raheem Morris were fighting on the side lines. They mailed in the game.

19 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

I remember we used to have some good FBs in years before. I dont think Ive ever seen a Full Back on any Play this season.

Do we have one? Whats his name?

Ricky Ortiz has played around 15% of the offensive snaps per game he's been healthy. He sat out the game against the Browns.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/atlanta-falcons-snap-counts

At first I was ..OP is kidding, right? He knows we have a FB. And then I started thinking back and trying to remember how much i see him in the backfield. And it aint much.

49 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

At first I was ..OP is kidding, right? He knows we have a FB. And then I started thinking back and trying to remember how much i see him in the backfield. And it aint much.

I have no idea who our FB is. Ive never seen him play

Karst41 and Skeetbird like this

16 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

The F O have made questionable decisions at FB 2 years in a row. Last year DQ kept the deaf guy, great guy inspirational story but not a great football player. This year DQ keeps Ortiz great story and inspirational to Mexicans but we should have kept 260 lb Fowler. TD is going to have to bring a real bruising fullback in here and then we'll make some of these 3rd and ones

Don't be fooled by Fowler's size. His blocking is functional, but he was more of a pass-catching FB & ST player. He has never been a punishing downhill blocker despite his frame.

Then there's the fact he couldn't beat out Ortiz to make the roster here... Nor could he stay on the roster in Seattle, who were extremely desperate for any sort of help with their running game... or in Tennessee, who have now cut him twice.

**DQ was asked about Ortiz being hurt & missing the Cleveland game and said they have other players on the roster they are working with who can fill that role in goal to go situations moving forward. He specifically mentioned it being like how they used Dontari Poe occasionally last year.

Given how little Ortiz has been used even when healthy, and the concept of having another player who's on the roster already cross-trained to handle FB duties occasionally, I think in the near future there is a real possibility we are going to completely phase out having a dedicated FB, like a great deal of the rest of the NFL has already done. That essentially frees up an extra roster spot, which given the amount of injuries & need for depth we've seen this year, really isn't the worst idea.

**on a side note, if they didn't have a player already cross-trained to serve as the emergency FB for the Cleveland game while Ortiz was out, that might explain why they opted to line up in shotgun on 4th & goal. Or maybe they did have someone trained for that role already, but that player is now forced into a starting role due to injuries... like Ben Garland, perhaps... so he wasn't available to use as a FB?

On 11/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, k-train said:

Then there's the fact he couldn't beat out Ortiz to make the roster here... 

It was pretty much pre-ordained that Ortiz was making the team.  Fowler was only brought in during training camp because Ortiz was hurt, but Quinn still talked about how much they liked what Ortiz.  

Fowler would not have whiffed on the block that so costly on goal-line vs the Eagles.  As you said, Fowler is also able to catch the ball out of the backfield and power the ball as a ball carrier.

Keeping Ortiz over Fowler really seemed puzzling to me.  I thought maybe that Ortiz was going to be a Tom Rathman type player, but from what I've seen so far, we would have been better off using that roster spot on another position.

Seemed like we always used to have a good FB kind of a shame the game has lead them the way of the dinosaur. I know he wasn’t a falcon but I used to love mike alstott, I wish the league still had guys like that. Maybe the game will circle its way back to that style one day

Karst41 likes this