Cole World

Dan Quinn was asked about the play of Trufant and Alford

68 posts in this topic

Even though both outside guys are struggling I got a better idea instead of throwing them on the trash heap,how bout waiting until Neal Allen and Debo are back and see what the defense looks like before jumping the gun.

Right now I'm seeing a bunch of reactionary posts and threads.

Its almost as though the gutting of the middle of our defense has been well and truely forgotten.

Combinations are the key the mentioned guys struggling and the injured played 2 seasons together and were pretty darn good.Unlike alot on here I'll wait and see what it looks like when the others get back.

JDaveG, Flying Falcon and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, shc said:

CB is kazee's natural position too. I'd rather move him back to corner and keep Allen at FS

Agree w this as Kazee is much more of a playmaker, Allen has value for his smarts at FS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 1:36 PM, Peyton said:

Quinn does his talking with snaps, we'll see if these guys lose any.

Even if they do outside of maybe oliver who do we have to give them too?? Our top three corners right now are playing at a career low.Gonna have to do some serious soul searching this offseason about our cb corp.its crazy how a major strength turns into such a liability 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Even though both outside guys are struggling I got a better idea instead of throwing them on the trash heap,how bout waiting until Neal Allen and Debo are back and see what the defense looks like before jumping the gun.

Right now I'm seeing a bunch of reactionary posts and threads.

Its almost as though the gutting of the middle of our defense has been well and truely forgotten.

Combinations are the key the mentioned guys struggling and the injured played 2 seasons together and were pretty darn good.Unlike alot on here I'll wait and see what it looks like when the others get back.

Why is it that you're giving Alford and Trufant a complete pass for their performance instead of holding them accountable for their own actions? I don't understand this line of thinking. How in the world is not having DeBo, Neal, and Allen the reason that Alford and Trufant all of a sudden can't do their jobs? How does that make a lick of sense? Man-to-man coverage, the very few times we run it, and both get roasted. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the other players on the field.

Dirty South Bird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Even though both outside guys are struggling I got a better idea instead of throwing them on the trash heap,how bout waiting until Neal Allen and Debo are back and see what the defense looks like before jumping the gun.

Right now I'm seeing a bunch of reactionary posts and threads.

Its almost as though the gutting of the middle of our defense has been well and truely forgotten.

Combinations are the key the mentioned guys struggling and the injured played 2 seasons together and were pretty darn good.Unlike alot on here I'll wait and see what it looks like when the others get back.

Bro, I can normally get with this type of thinking but I can’t defend Trufant and Alford here. They’re both seasoned vets and should not need Allen, Debo or anybody else guide them on field. They were both quality players before Allen was the brains of that group and befor Debo was drafted. They’ve been bad. Maybe Alford is injured, I don’t know. Certainly makes it more palatable if he is playing hurt and not playing up to snuff but there is ZERO excuse for how bad Desmond Trufant has been most of this year. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Falcon Ben said:

This is the kind of comment that makes this place so un****ing bearable. 

These are grown *** men, who take pride in their work. They're livelihoods also depend on it. 

Neither has played well, but saying they aren't trying is just nonsense. 

Trufant is not trying.  When you do not attempt to make a tackle, that is the very definition of not trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why is it that you're giving Alford and Trufant a complete pass for their performance instead of holding them accountable for their own actions? I don't understand this line of thinking. How in the world is not having DeBo, Neal, and Allen the reason that Alford and Trufant all of a sudden can't do their jobs? How does that make a lick of sense? Man-to-man coverage, the very few times we run it, and both get roasted. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the other players on the field.

Comfort in playing with these guys effects performance.

You have a look at the inconsistencies of oline play.

I go back to 2016 with Chester Mack and Levitre the oline play was consistent and Schraeder became a pro bowl type player.You have a look what happens with injuries and new combinations there comes the inconsistency.

Take Alford and Tru takeaway Debo Allen and Neal look what you have Much the same as above.

Tru and Alford haven't help themselves individually I'll concede to that but pretending these guys are scrubs without those others present is a bit short sighted in my eyes.

Here in lies why I hope both guys are kept next year we get the gang back together and then re-evaluate our position.If they don't improve or we see much the same then we act.I for one am not giving up on them just yet.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Comfort in playing with these guys effects performance.

You have a look at the inconsistencies of oline play.

I go back to 2016 with Chester Mack and Levitre the oline play was consistent and Schraeder became a pro bowl type player.You have a look what happens with injuries and new combinations there comes the inconsistency.

Take Alford and Tru takeaway Debo Allen and Neal look what you have Much the same as above.

Tru and Alford haven't help themselves individually I'll concede to that but pretending these guys are scrubs without those others present is a bit short sighted in my eyes.

Here in lies why I hope both guys are kept next year we get the gang back together and then re-evaluate our position.If they don't improve or we see much the same then we act.I for one am not giving up on them just yet.

What about the proof from 2016 and 2017?? Pass defense wasn't good either year.

  • 2016 = 267 YPG (28th)
  • 2017 = 214 YPG (T-9th)

Yards per game was much better in 2017 but QB's still completed 65.5 percent of their passes (28th) against the Falcons and only threw 8 interceptions (T-29th). Pass defense in 2016 and 2017 leaves a lot to desire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What about the proof from 2016 and 2017?? Pass defense wasn't good either year.

  • 2016 = 267 YPG (28th)
  • 2017 = 214 YPG (T-9th)

Yards per game was much better in 2017 but QB's still completed 65.5 percent of their passes (28th) against the Falcons and only threw 8 interceptions (T-29th). Pass defense in 2016 and 2017 leaves a lot to desire.

2016 Tru was injured was out for a big part of the season wasn't he.2017 back from injury.

2016 vs 2017 basically backs up what I been saying when the combination gained time and experience playing together you saw the improvement.

You take away those guys add in new guys and there you see the inconsistency of what we have this year.

Those numbers are screwed anyways because each year circumstances are different.

The kicker which the numbers don't telll you were are onfield results 2016 we should have been the champs and 2017 we were one game shy.

Read it how you will.:shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

Trufant is not trying.  When you do not attempt to make a tackle, that is the very definition of not trying.

He's playing like a guy that knows he can't be cut or traded this year or next. Said it in 2016 when the defense improved without him, we should have traded him. Pussing out on tackling makes.him a liability, which was evident against the bears n 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

2016 Tru was injured was out for a big part of the season wasn't he.2017 back from injury.

2016 vs 2017 basically backs up what I been saying when the combination gained time and experience playing together you saw the improvement.

You take away those guys add in new guys and there you see the inconsistency of what we have this year.

Those numbers are screwed anyways because each year circumstances are different.

The kicker which the numbers don't telll you were are onfield results 2016 we should have been the champs and 2017 we were one game shy.

Read it how you will.:shrug:

The 2017 pass defense was not good or did you not read my entire post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 1:47 PM, Falcon Ben said:

This is the kind of comment that makes this place so un****ing bearable. 

These are grown *** men, who take pride in their work. They're livelihoods also depend on it. 

Neither has played well, but saying they aren't trying is just nonsense. 

Assuming that all NFL players -- h*ll, any professional athlete -- is definitely "trying" is nonsense, too.

If effort level wasn't one of the most coveted attributes in all of football you might convince me otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now