Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arkridge

Trufant, Alford, and Poole All Posting Career Low PFF Numbers

24 posts in this topic

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Falcons/status/1062712629024751616

#Falcons CB Season Grades:

Isaiah Oliver - 65.7

Desmond Trufant - 60.8 (career low)

Brian Poole - 60.4 (career low)

Robert Alford - 48.5 (career low)

.... And just like that, CB became a need for us. I'd be lying if I said I saw this coming. CB has been a position of strength for us for a few years now. Wouldn’t be surprised if our first rounder is a CB come draft time instead of DT or DE.

Osiruz likes this

1 minute ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Draft one high that fits next to Oliver and put Allen at NB when he’s healthy. 

I'd be down for either Allen or Kazee in at Nickel. Whatever it takes to keep both on the field. Both are excellent. Hate to see Rico injured but it's awesome to see Kazee develop so nicely in his absence.

As far as drafting a CB high, I'm on board. I like the small samples we've seen of Isaiah Oliver. I think he can succeed with more time in the system. 

Alford is playing on a bad ankle and it is showing. Need to give Oliver a chance and let Alford get healthy.

I have no excuse for why Trufant is playing so bad. It just seems like he doesn't have any desire to be a lock down corner anymore. I have zero faith in him turning it around at this point.

With Poole playing in the slot, I think guys like Neal and Deion really helped him out by covering the middle of the field. With so many new guys in the lineup, teams are really abusing us out of the slot.

It is ugly all around right now, but we have to get Oliver and Wreh-Wilson in the lineup. 

ATL Fan in the DMV and Osiruz like this

The crappy part about all of this is that from the FO on down failed to put a truly ELITE front seven on the field during Tru and Alford’s earlier years. We asked them to cover 2-8 seconds most passing downs because we never had a good pass rush from the outside and inside of the lines. 

Now they are older with the same front seven issues. 

13 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

The crappy part about all of this is that from the FO on down failed to put a truly ELITE front seven on the field during Tru and Alford’s earlier years. We asked them to cover 2-8 seconds most passing downs because we never had a good pass rush from the outside and inside of the lines. 

Now they are older with the same front seven issues. 

We still don't have a good pass rush. The Falcons have been weak on defense for a very long time.

4 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

We still don't have a good pass rush. The Falcons have been weak on defense for a very long time.

Our pass rush was good in 2016 and 2017, but it's obviously taken a huge step back this year. 

Nobody mentioning the weak performance from our LB's.... That's the heart of our defense, without them, your line and secondary will struggle as well.

Between this and the injuries to our Safeties we may need to replace or at least get more depth at EVERY position in our secondary. Then we need more weight on the DL.

It is sad and ridiculous Quinn's defense looks like it needs another rebuild effort 4 years into his coaching reign.

He was supposed to come here to fix our defense yet here we are with our worst and most in consistent defense in a decade.

43 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Between this and the injuries to our Safeties we may need to replace or at least get more depth at EVERY position in our secondary. Then we need more weight on the DL.

It is sad and ridiculous Quinn's defense looks like it needs another rebuild effort 4 years into his coaching reign.

He was supposed to come here to fix our defense yet here we are with our worst and most in consistent defense in a decade.

a decade? you have terrible memory

see: 2013 and 2014

CB is a position that is more “dime a dozen” than people realize. Besides top10 elite players like Denzel Ward, I wouldn’t draft a CB in the first. You can get similar quality in the 2nd-3rd round. Right now Trufant and Alford are playing worse than undrafted corners. It needs to be addressed. 

Sun Tzu 7 and mqg96 like this

2 minutes ago, The Daywalker said:

Yeah not having a pass rush at all is the problem!! 

I honestly think there are issues at all three levels of the defense. No pass rush from the edges OR the inside, inconsistent LB play from everyone except Debo, and our high paid corners are playing like undrafted rookies.

Just now, Falcanuck said:

CB is a position that is more “dime a dozen” than people realize. Besides top10 elite players like Denzel Ward, I wouldn’t draft a CB in the first. You can get similar quality in the 2nd-3rd round. Right now Trufant and Alford are playing worse than undrafted corners. It needs to be addressed. 

I can get behind either method. If they like a guy in the first that falls to us, go for it. Especially if there's a run on DT/DE early. And I think that'll be exactly the case with the lack of QBs in the upcoming class. We could see all the DT/DE talent go in the first 15 picks.

1 hour ago, Emmitt said:

I’d like to get a young corner in free agency. We need a DLineman with a high draft pick.

Exactly.

I think we've seen the results of investing more in the DBs than the DL.

A good DL can cover for an average secondary.

A great secondary might be able to help a below average DL.

Place the investment up front where it's needed most.  

Emmitt likes this

Yeah, they've been miserable.

Problem is, we need 2 penetrating DL, and two interior OL.  I'd be tempted to go DT/DE/OG with the first 3 in some order. 

When Ryan has time, he'll chop you up.  When our DL makes the other QB not have time, we do well.  Let's focus on those as simplistic as it sounds.

GhostofGritz likes this

26 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, they've been miserable.

Problem is, we need 2 penetrating DL, and two interior OL.  I'd be tempted to go DT/DE/OG with the first 3 in some order. 

When Ryan has time, he'll chop you up.  When our DL makes the other QB not have time, we do well.  Let's focus on those as simplistic as it sounds.

Exactly. Tom Brady and Brees have been as good as they are because they are the most protected QBs in the NFL. By protecting Ryan and pressuring opposing QBs without blitzes, the Falcon have a championship roster. 

6 hours ago, Arkridge said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Falcons/status/1062712629024751616

#Falcons CB Season Grades:

Isaiah Oliver - 65.7

Desmond Trufant - 60.8 (career low)

Brian Poole - 60.4 (career low)

Robert Alford - 48.5 (career low)

The stats make total since once you take two pro bowlers out of the middle of the defense. 

6 hours ago, Arkridge said:

.... And just like that, CB became a need for us. I'd be lying if I said I saw this coming. CB has been a position of strength for us for a few years now. Wouldn’t be surprised if our first rounder is a CB come draft time instead of DT or DE.

I don't agree with your conclusion. You could be right, but I see it different.

Foundation is important. The foundation of the defense is MLB, SS, and DTs. If the foundation is weak, the rest of the building can't stand. People start trying to do to much, and get caught leaning the wrong way. Instead of "do your job" our coaching staff preaches "set it off." We need more discipline on the defensive side of the ball. Guys need to do their job and quit trying to cover up for less experienced, less talented players. 

Yes, I'm fully aware they are losing 1 on 1 battles. That doesn't change my opinion. They lack sufficient faith in the foundation of that defense. As a result, they are looking over their shoulder to help out instead of making 100% sure THEY are not he weak link on any given snap.

When the foundation is solid, Tru and Alford will be just fine. They have a long track record. We know 100% who they are. They did not forget how to play football over night. Take it to the bank. I suspect their grades will go up about as quickly as Jones returns to the middle. They will trust him to babysit the rest of the D so they can do their jobs. Knowing the team is in the right call and knowing that guys know their assignment is big.