Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

UGA Basketball 2018-19

280 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I love the optimism... I'll take an SEC championship and/or a Tournament appearance. If dude delivers a natty in basketball I say we give him a trophy and rename the basketball arena... :lol: 

we gonna do it man.. do what florida did.. title in football and basketball..  lolol.. Let's do it!

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

we gonna do it man.. do what florida did.. title in football and basketball..  lolol.. Let's do it!

brain fart above. trophy = statue... :lol: 

Need to pick up a PG... Juco or Transfer maybe?

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

brain fart above. trophy = statue... :lol: 

Need to pick up a PG... Juco or Transfer maybe?

yep juco or transfer..  i can see a few kids being encouraged to go elsewhere and we might add another 2 players.. 

17 hours ago, Carter said:

We will find out tomorrow but pretty much everyone is expecting he will be a Dawg. Crean will probably clean house for next year and we will see a pretty different team. Some of these guys need to step up their game in a big way if they want to be a part of it.

The culture is the biggest obstacle in the way for UGA basketball. You can see it in the fan base too. Most folks will tell you they are diehard UGA football fans but in basketball they like some other team. I’ve seen it my whole life. 

You and me both was going to go to a home game before the season ended, but with how the play has been you'd think tickets would be a lot cheaper lol. I pray and hope that UGA BB gets back on track though.

8 minutes ago, MayorWest13 said:

thoughts on this? 

I don’t really follow basketball recruiting much but my assumption looking at the two is we’d have a better shot with Quinones. Can’t imagine we would be able to pull a 5 star from NYC, let alone pull him away from UConn. But I really have no knowledge of those guys so idk.

Outside of Claxton and Hammonds (and he needs to be not as lazy) there's a good chance that the other 3 starters, including Edwards are new, outside of maybe Fagan as a possible 3/D type PG that is a secondary ballhandler (I'm not calling Edwards a PG, but I think he could be like a more athletic Harden/bigger Mitchell and those guys pass well enough to be main ballhandlers).

Starting lineup:

PG: ??? (My feeling is either Tye Fagan, a JUCO guy, or a grad transfer)
SG: Anthony Edwards
SF: Jaykwon Walton (incoming 4 star)
PF: Rayshaun Hammonds
F/C: Nic Claxton

6th man: Tyree Crump
Jordan Harris (also possible he starts at SF instead of Walton)
Toumani Camara
Amanze Ngumezi

That looks like top 20 caliber talent in the top 9 and it also, even if a guy like Harris does end up starting, relieves pressure on the other guys.

The comment that Crean made when he took over the program about wishing he had just got rid of the WHOLE lot of players that Fox left him to work with.  He apologized later but I AGREE with what he said...:lol:  Crean is a TOP coach and every time I see a Georgia game I'm left with the feeling that I hope he doesn't bounce on that program before he turns it around which I KNOW he can do.  The current players SUCK big time.  There is nothing wrong with what he said...

“I’m the one who decided to keep these guys… When there’s a takeover, when you have guys who haven’t done it at any point really in their career, a lot of those guys move on. And I didn’t do that.”

mqg96 and m2Falcons like this

8 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

The comment that Crean made when he took over the program about wishing he had just got rid of the WHOLE lot of players that Fox left him to work with.  He apologized later but I AGREE with what he said...:lol:  Crean is a TOP coach and every time I see a Georgia game I'm left with the feeling that I hope he doesn't bounce on that program before he turns it around which I KNOW he can do.  The current players SUCK big time.  There is nothing wrong with what he said...

“I’m the one who decided to keep these guys… When there’s a takeover, when you have guys who haven’t done it at any point really in their career, a lot of those guys move on. And I didn’t do that.”

good points and now has a big time class

What a bizarre way for the game to end last night. Kinda lame because you need to let the players determine it on the court

what kind of moron throws a toy onto the court during a game?  i wonder if it was a tech fan wearing UGA clothing (yes they do exist).  idiotic way to lose a game. 

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

what kind of moron throws a toy onto the court during a game?  i wonder if it was a tech fan wearing UGA clothing (yes they do exist).  idiotic way to lose a game. 

I didn’t watch game but read about it.   Wasn’t the opposing player getting two shots anyway? So he got three instead of two?  Was it the third shot?

59 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I didn’t watch game but read about it.   Wasn’t the opposing player getting two shots anyway? So he got three instead of two?  Was it the third shot?

I didn't watch either, but yeah I think he was getting 2 shots anyway.  Made the 2nd and intentionally missed the 3rd.  Should have been a warning to the crowd and not a technical.    

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, 007dawg said:

I didn't watch either, but yeah I think he was getting 2 shots anyway.  Made the 2nd and intentionally missed the 3rd.  Should have been a warning to the crowd and not a technical.    

it is a big difference in shooting 2 and 1 free throw that's why that technical was so big.. he missed the 1st one and now he knew he had 2 more shots and thus was able to relax a bit more on the 2nd free throw.. if he has just 1 more shot the pressure grows bigtime.  i agree it should have been a warning, but they decided not to do that.. i think it was a pathetic call..  

I'm not exaggerating when I say this. I'm being serious. Anthony Edwards could be the guy who saves basketball in the state of Georgia, not only for the DAWGS, but for the HAWKS too. He could be the next Dominique Wilkins. 6'5, 215 lbs from Atlanta, GA. #2 overall prospect in the 2019 class, and he's the highest rated ever recruit in UGA basketball history. Tom Crean is in year 1, and year 1 is ALWAYS rough for coaches, even the majority of dynasty coaches had their worst seasons in year 1. Mark Fox put UGA into a hellhole. Yante Maten was the SEC player of the year and it's rare for an SEC player of the year to miss the tournament, that hadn't happened in years before UGA last season, because of how awful UGA's talent is. Anthony Edwards could change our program forever in year 2 for Tom Crean. Now if Anthony Edwards can help us get some more quality recruits around him coming into 2019-2020, because he can't do it all alone. 

13 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I'm not exaggerating when I say this. I'm being serious. Anthony Edwards could be the guy who saves basketball in the state of Georgia, not only for the DAWGS, but for the HAWKS too. He could be the next Dominique Wilkins. 6'5, 215 lbs from Atlanta, GA. #2 overall prospect in the 2019 class, and he's the highest rated ever recruit in UGA basketball history. Tom Crean is in year 1, and year 1 is ALWAYS rough for coaches, even the majority of dynasty coaches had their worst seasons in year 1. Mark Fox put UGA into a hellhole. Yante Maten was the SEC player of the year and it's rare for an SEC player of the year to miss the tournament, that hadn't happened in years before UGA last season, because of how awful UGA's talent is. Anthony Edwards could change our program forever in year 2 for Tom Crean. Now if Anthony Edwards can help us get some more quality recruits around him coming into 2019-2020, because he can't do it all alone. 

If that proposed rule changes goes into effect which allows players to skip college ball, Georgia most likely will not even have one and dones.  Duke and Kentucky either.   Eventually this is gonna go over into college football...

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2019/2/21/18235361/2019-nba-ncaa-warriors-demarcus-cousins-zion-williamson

Boogie Cousins RIPPED the NCAA:

“Knowing what I know now? College is ********,” Cousins proclaimed. “College basketball - the NCAA - is ********. My advice to him is do what’s best for you and your family. Obviously college, it does nothing for you at this point. You’ve proven you’re the number one pick coming out. You’ve proven your talent. Get ready for the next level, because it’s happening. That’s my opinion, knowing what I know now. Obviously when I was at that age - you enjoy the moment, you enjoy the experience and all that - but there’s so many risks involved to get to the ultimate goal, which is this level. So just do what’s best for him and his family.”

Cousins’ comments come after speculation that Williamson may shut it down for the rest of the season, and not risk further injury before entering the league. Boogie, who played one year at Kentucky before being drafted fifth overall in 2010, noted that college was a wonderful time for him, but his perspective has changed.

“I loved my experience in college,” Cousins remarked. “That was some of the best years of my life, playing basketball. But with that being said, just how crooked the whole NCAA business is.”

Cousins then mentioned the absurd ticket prices, rhetorically asking, “Who does it go to?” and “How does it benefit any player on that team?”

The NBPA is fighting to end the one-and-done rule that forces prospects like Williamson to play for a year after high school before entering the draft. Unfortunately, it looks like 2022 is the earliest that we may see a rule change.

Thought this was good from 247 poster

4 minutes ago

Boy, you think we want a winner and were ready for a change? And you bet Crean can promote:

The Bulldogs are averaging 9,038 fans over 14 home games this season, their highest average since a school-record mark of 9,857 during the 2002-03 campaign. If it holds, that would be the third-highest average in school history.

Tom Crean’s inaugural season with the Bulldogs’ has carried historic ramifications for Georgia Basketball from an attendance standpoint, including:

• Georgia announced sellouts of the Florida and Kentucky games on Oct. 24, the earliest date for a game to sell out in program history.

• The Texas game became a third sellout two days later on Oct. 26. Before this season, the Bulldogs never had more than one sellout prior to beginning the regular season.

• In December, all available tickets for the LSU, South Carolina and Ole Miss games were sold. The six sellouts before the calendar rolled over represented the most in program history.

• Georgia drew 9,018 fans for the season opener against Savannah State, UGA’s biggest crowd for a home opener in 37 seasons...since Dominique Wilkins’ sophomore year in Athens in 1981-82.

• The UMass game on Dec. 30 also sold out, giving Georgia a minimum of seven sellouts this season. That represents the Bulldogs’ most sellouts since having a school-record nine in 2002-03. (Remember '02-'03 was Harrick's last year when that team was a legit Final Four contender.)

Georgia needs just 5,888 more fans to set the school’s all-time attendance make (most butts ever in the seats)

Monkdawg1

2 hours ago

No new news about potential recruits that I've heard, but a friend of mine emailed me that Camara, one of our signees, is now 6'8" (up from 6'6") and has put on maybe 15 lbs over this season in prep school. He predicts Camara to be the big surprise of this signing class. I know his offensive stats have really come around this year. I have heard Crean predicted him as a potential NBAer down the road. He's coached a few.

m2Falcons and fibonaccisquared like this