Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

UGA Basketball 2018-19

138 posts in this topic

one and done..  although Crean has really ticked off players and their parents today.  I mean i am seeing crump's mom and other parents furious online over what he said.. he threw the kids under the bus and ran them over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

one and done..  although Crean has really ticked off players and their parents today.  I mean i am seeing crump's mom and other parents furious online over what he said.. he threw the kids under the bus and ran them over.  

There were periods in today’s game where I seriously wondered how these kids got scholarships.. 

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

one and done..  although Crean has really ticked off players and their parents today.  I mean i am seeing crump's mom and other parents furious online over what he said.. he threw the kids under the bus and ran them over.  

Yeah I'm a little worried that Crean mouthing off caused him to lose his shot at Edwards, and if so, I'm going to be irritated and honestly probably done with college basketball outside of the tournament for a year or so. He might think that, but it was really dumb to say that before Monday.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Yeah I'm a little worried that Crean mouthing off caused him to lose his shot at Edwards, and if so, I'm going to be irritated and honestly probably done with college basketball outside of the tournament for a year or so. He might think that, but it was really dumb to say that before Monday.

That doesn't worry me regarding Edwards.  I am sure Crean hasn't been quiet that he needs to upgrade the talent and the players on this team with Edwards and his family.  I am sure opposing coaches will try and use that and I am sure Crean will backtrack some tomorrow, but the reality is what Crean said is correct even if it ticked off the parents and players.  Crean should have dropped some dead weight and brought in graduate transfers, but he did the right thing and the players are not putting forth the effort needed.  What we are seeing are guys are being lazy and not putting forth the effort that is being asked by Crean and it's ticking him off.  I am sure they aren't putting forth the effort either preparing themselves for games.  Crean needs to sit those players who won't buy in or kick them off the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

That doesn't worry me regarding Edwards.  I am sure Crean hasn't been quiet that he needs to upgrade the talent and the players on this team with Edwards and his family.  I am sure opposing coaches will try and use that and I am sure Crean will backtrack some tomorrow, but the reality is what Crean said is correct even if it ticked off the parents and players.  Crean should have dropped some dead weight and brought in graduate transfers, but he did the right thing and the players are not putting forth the effort needed.  What we are seeing are guys are being lazy and not putting forth the effort that is being asked by Crean and it's ticking him off.  I am sure they aren't putting forth the effort either preparing themselves for games.  Crean needs to sit those players who won't buy in or kick them off the team.

I've hinted that the seniors were pretty much lost causes because of the deal outside of Ogbeide...which is unfortunate for multiple reasons. Outside of that, other than interestingly, Hammonds, I don't think there's a problem with buy in at all. There's a rumor that Hammonds wanted to quit and transfer after a horrible loss (that I don't want to mention), but then a HS coach of his said "Son, do you think you're doing all that you can?"

Edited by VoiceofReason95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I've hinted that the seniors were pretty much lost causes because of the deal outside of Ogbeide...which is unfortunate for multiple reasons. Outside of that, other than interestingly, Hammonds, I don't think there's a problem with buy in at all. There's a rumor that Hammonds wanted to quit and transfer after a horrible loss, but then a HS coach of his said "Son, do you think you're doing all that you can?"

mike edwards and turtle both stink.  we already knew that coming in, but i don't see a lack of hustle or effort from turtle.. edwards is barely seeing the court because he is just that bad (we both know he is angry and isn't being quiet about it).  we do have a buy in problem from multiple players and it's not just effort on the court, coach crean knows what they are doing before games to prepare as well and that is a big part of his frustration and a reason why guys are not improving at all.  the lack of effort on defense is pathetic and rebounding as well.  ask yourself how many times have you seen us win on hustle plays?  We don't win many of them at all.  crump is a problem.  his lackluster effort on defense is a big reason he saw just 3 minutes in the 1st half.  there are others as well who frankly need to step up the effort or crean should kick them to the curb.  coach crean isn't running a charity and if guys won't buy in and work on their game then it would be better if they were no longer on the team.  hammonds btw is one of the most lazy players i have seen.. he has sooo much talent and could take over games, but he basically is a waste of space at times in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

mike edwards and turtle both stink.  we already knew that coming in, but i don't see a lack of hustle or effort from turtle.. edwards is barely seeing the court because he is just that bad (we both know he is angry and isn't being quiet about it).  we do have a buy in problem from multiple players and it's not just effort on the court, coach crean knows what they are doing before games to prepare as well and that is a big part of his frustration and a reason why guys are not improving at all.  the lack of effort on defense is pathetic and rebounding as well.  ask yourself how many times have you seen us win on hustle plays?  We don't win many of them at all.  crump is a problem.  his lackluster effort on defense is a big reason he saw just 3 minutes in the 1st half.  there are others as well who frankly need to step up the effort or crean should kick them to the curb.  coach crean isn't running a charity and if guys won't buy in and work on their game then it would be better if they were no longer on the team.  hammonds btw is one of the most lazy players i have seen.. he has sooo much talent and could take over games, but he basically is a waste of space at times in the game. 

Amen. Crean had TOO MANY problem players inherited. Realistically he had two choices...  run off a boat load of guys and tank the year or try to get them to grow up and change. He "hoped" enough would do the latter that it might work but now knows it was doomed and is frustrated by it. I'd be fine with him kicking several players off the team and just finishing the season as best they can without the weenies around. I wish him well in his efforts at UGA to turn it around; its hard these days to find players with talent that also are willing to truly work. Get too many of the lazy ones on a team and it is dayum near impossible to deal with. I bet he hates practices worse than he does the games with this group.

95Dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

mike edwards and turtle both stink.  we already knew that coming in, but i don't see a lack of hustle or effort from turtle.. edwards is barely seeing the court because he is just that bad (we both know he is angry and isn't being quiet about it).  we do have a buy in problem from multiple players and it's not just effort on the court, coach crean knows what they are doing before games to prepare as well and that is a big part of his frustration and a reason why guys are not improving at all.  the lack of effort on defense is pathetic and rebounding as well.  ask yourself how many times have you seen us win on hustle plays?  We don't win many of them at all.  crump is a problem.  his lackluster effort on defense is a big reason he saw just 3 minutes in the 1st half.  there are others as well who frankly need to step up the effort or crean should kick them to the curb.  coach crean isn't running a charity and if guys won't buy in and work on their game then it would be better if they were no longer on the team.  hammonds btw is one of the most lazy players i have seen.. he has sooo much talent and could take over games, but he basically is a waste of space at times in the game. 

You are 100% correct.  We play the worst defense I’ve ever seen on a D1 team and defense is effort and hustle.  Some of these kids have no desire to be out there and it shows.  I hope he cuts 2-3 of these non-seniors and just goes with what we have got..  play the walk-ons more.  I seriously doubt we win another game this season .   Time to root out the dead wood and malcontents 

95Dawg and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

one and done..  although Crean has really ticked off players and their parents today.  I mean i am seeing crump's mom and other parents furious online over what he said.. he threw the kids under the bus and ran them over.  

this team is full of soft kids, getting ran out of the gym most games, I am glad crean said this and crumps mom can cry me a river its 2019 softy

95Dawg and Carter like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

mike edwards and turtle both stink.  we already knew that coming in, but i don't see a lack of hustle or effort from turtle.. edwards is barely seeing the court because he is just that bad (we both know he is angry and isn't being quiet about it).  we do have a buy in problem from multiple players and it's not just effort on the court, coach crean knows what they are doing before games to prepare as well and that is a big part of his frustration and a reason why guys are not improving at all.  the lack of effort on defense is pathetic and rebounding as well.  ask yourself how many times have you seen us win on hustle plays?  We don't win many of them at all.  crump is a problem.  his lackluster effort on defense is a big reason he saw just 3 minutes in the 1st half.  there are others as well who frankly need to step up the effort or crean should kick them to the curb.  coach crean isn't running a charity and if guys won't buy in and work on their game then it would be better if they were no longer on the team.  hammonds btw is one of the most lazy players i have seen.. he has sooo much talent and could take over games, but he basically is a waste of space at times in the game. 

How can UGA have two programs with such completely different cultures.  Football is a culture of hard work, discipline & excellence.  The in-state kids dream of wearing the red & black.  Basketball is pretty much the polar opposite

So is it 50-50 with Edwards?  He’d certainly fill up the stat sheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

How can UGA have two programs with such completely different cultures.  Football is a culture of hard work, discipline & excellence.  The in-state kids dream of wearing the red & black.  Basketball is pretty much the polar opposite

So is it 50-50 with Edwards?  He’d certainly fill up the stat sheet

We will find out tomorrow but pretty much everyone is expecting he will be a Dawg. Crean will probably clean house for next year and we will see a pretty different team. Some of these guys need to step up their game in a big way if they want to be a part of it.

The culture is the biggest obstacle in the way for UGA basketball. You can see it in the fan base too. Most folks will tell you they are diehard UGA football fans but in basketball they like some other team. I’ve seen it my whole life. 

Zone#7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nation's No. 1 prospect Edwards to announce on CBS Sports HQ

ByEVAN DANIELS 23 hours ago

 

Anthony Edwards, the No. 1 2019 prospect in the Top247, will make his college announcement on Monday, Feb. 11, with 247Sports live on CBS Sports HQ.

The announcement will come from Atlanta (Ga.) Holy Spirit Academy’s gymnasium at 9:00 a.m. ET. The finalists for Edwards, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound shooting guard, are Florida State, Georgia and Kentucky.

After reclassifying from the 2020 to the 2019 class in November, Edwards became the hottest topic in high school hoops. He now ranks No. 2 in the 247Sports Composite Rankings and No. 1 in the 247Sports Top247.  

During his senior season, Edwards is averaging 26.7 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.1 steals a game. He’s also shooting 38-percent from three.

IN THE MIX ...

FLORIDA STATE

When Edwards opted to reclassify to the 2019 recruiting class, most assumed that he was dead set on attending Florida State. The Seminoles had long been the assumed favorite. Edwards has former teammates playing there (MJ Walker) and a long-standing relationship with assistant coach Charlton Young. Edwards took an unofficial visit to their campus early in his high school career and was slated to take an official visit over the weekend, but he canceled the official visit.

GEORGIA

Georgia was the first school to land an official visit from Edwards. In fact, it came quickly after his reclassification decision. That decision came on Nov. 20, and the Bulldogs hosted him for an official visit on Dec. 1. They’ve also had him on campus at least one other time for an unofficial visit. There’s an obvious draw here to stay close to home, as Athens is about an hour and a half from his house. Tom Crean has coached and help developed Dwyane Wade and Victor Oladipo and that’s been part of his pitch to Edwards.

KENTUCKY

Kentucky has been the dark horse in the Edwards recruitment. The truth is, not much has been said about them throughout the process, but they are one of two schools to get an official visit. Edwards took an official visit to Kentucky the weekend of Jan. 21. Kentucky’s track record with five-stars is staggering and I’m sure that’s been their pitch throughout. While they aren’t consider the frontrunner coming down the stretch, you can’t ever count them completely out.

THE PREDICTION

This has been an interesting recruitment to follow. Edwards had originally planned to visit Kansas, North Carolina and Florida State, but he ended up canceling official visits to all three schools. For the past month or so I thought Georgia was making a strong push in this recruitment and I considered them the favorite. He took an unofficial visit to their campus recently, has a strong bond with multiple players on campus and the coaching staff at Georgia. Staying close to home and near his family and former coaches is also a factor, in my opinion. I made a Crystal Ball pick for Georgia on Tuesday and I’m sticking with that prediction leading into the announcement.  

159COMMENTS

THE EVALUATION

Anthony Edwards has all the tools you look for in a two-guard prospect. He has the size (6-5), length, a strong, chiseled frame, plus tremendous athletic ability. To go with the obvious physical tools, Edwards is a dynamic, three-level scorer. He finishes well at the rim and through contact, he does a good job of creating space for shot opportunities off the dribble and continues to improve as a long-range shooter, which is evident by his 38 percent clip from three during his senior season. While we list him as a shooting guard, Edwards is at best when he has the ball in his hands. He has a similar playing style as James Harden and is very effective using ball screens, and creating off the bounce for himself and others. Edwards is tracking as a one-and-done prospect and will be in the conversation to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

 

 

Almost that time....

 

Come on and be a DAWG Edwards...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the optimism... I'll take an SEC championship and/or a Tournament appearance. If dude delivers a natty in basketball I say we give him a trophy and rename the basketball arena... :lol: 

95Dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0