Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

UGA Basketball 2018-19

208 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, MayorWest13 said:

FSU gets his last OV before he announces. I still think they get him, but man would that be one heck of a get if he picks UGA. One year bandaid on our currently anemic guard play (along with Walton) and opportunity for Crean to prove to the next class that he can get them where they want to go (and will have the playing time to do so).

On 2/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Creans problems are Indiana was defense and turnovers.  Hmmmm

The defense is definitely at least in part on Crean, but our issues really *aren't* defense. It's not a huge focus, and ultimately the game is tilted in the favor of offensive play anyways. I've seen us D up really well and get called for fouls anyways, so I'd rather focus on efficient offensive play and then scramble around on the defensive side of the ball as best we can. Claxton can block some shots... 

Until we fix the guards, the turnovers will continue. Crean's desired style of play isn't going to mask the flaws, so he needs to land 2 quality guards this year and *badly*. Walton already committed is pretty good. If he can couple Edwards, he's got a heck of a start on making the improvements he needs for 2020.

Too many people want to make it seem like Crean's issue that guys are turning the ball over. He's asking them to push the ball up court... there is an inherent amount of turnovers that will happen even with good play as a result, but it also nets easy shots often... if those happen at the exact same rate, they should still ultimately favor your team since +2 points on easy baskets is better than +X (offensive efficiency per possession of your opponents) unless you play absolutely no defense and your opponent is NBA Jam style "on fire". Our issue is our turnover rate is >> our easy buckets. Guys making poor passes, so even when we retain possession, it isn't flowing the way it's supposed to often. And when they're way off the mark or ill advised, enter more turnovers.

I still maintain that it's an improvement over Fox. With Fox, you always felt like you were almost there and yet you knew you weren't, you just couldn't prove it. With Crean, you *know* when they are playing well and when they aren't, and there's no hiding it... I'd much rather this, as it makes it a **** of a lot easier to say after 3-4 seasons... appreciate it but we gotta try someone else coach. Crean hopefully knows what he needs to build the roster and is in the process of getting those pieces. It's an exciting enough brand of basketball that it should at least be attractive, despite UGA not being a traditionally good basketball program.

anthony edwards top 3 player is committing next Monday after an fsu visit..  it's going to be either fsu or uga. 

10 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

The defense is definitely at least in part on Crean, but our issues really *aren't* defense. It's not a huge focus, and ultimately the game is tilted in the favor of offensive play anyways. I've seen us D up really well and get called for fouls anyways, so I'd rather focus on efficient offensive play and then scramble around on the defensive side of the ball as best we can. Claxton can block some shots... 

Until we fix the guards, the turnovers will continue. Crean's desired style of play isn't going to mask the flaws, so he needs to land 2 quality guards this year and *badly*. Walton already committed is pretty good. If he can couple Edwards, he's got a heck of a start on making the improvements he needs for 2020.

Too many people want to make it seem like Crean's issue that guys are turning the ball over. He's asking them to push the ball up court... there is an inherent amount of turnovers that will happen even with good play as a result, but it also nets easy shots often... if those happen at the exact same rate, they should still ultimately favor your team since +2 points on easy baskets is better than +X (offensive efficiency per possession of your opponents) unless you play absolutely no defense and your opponent is NBA Jam style "on fire". Our issue is our turnover rate is >> our easy buckets. Guys making poor passes, so even when we retain possession, it isn't flowing the way it's supposed to often. And when they're way off the mark or ill advised, enter more turnovers.

I still maintain that it's an improvement over Fox. With Fox, you always felt like you were almost there and yet you knew you weren't, you just couldn't prove it. With Crean, you *know* when they are playing well and when they aren't, and there's no hiding it... I'd much rather this, as it makes it a **** of a lot easier to say after 3-4 seasons... appreciate it but we gotta try someone else coach. Crean hopefully knows what he needs to build the roster and is in the process of getting those pieces. It's an exciting enough brand of basketball that it should at least be attractive, despite UGA not being a traditionally good basketball program.

I don't like to discuss Fox anymore.. i couldn't stand him and am happy he is gone.  So comparing coaches doesn't do much for me.  Regarding Crean the facts are his previous teams had issues with defense and with turnovers.  You can't blame him for turnovers with this year's team, but it will be interesting to see if that does improve when he gets more talent.  Regarding defense it is a big problem with this team and defense is so often about effort and I saw a lot of horrible effort and horrible defense against south carolina and plenty of other games this season.  That does fall on the staff to get guys to put forth the effort to play defense, but we have way too many easy layups or short shots because guys aren't moving over to play any help defense or they give up on the play once a guy is beat.  Crean gets a mulligan year 1, but his future team's need to show more effort on the defensive side of the ball.  I know he made a hire of a coach who is very good with coaching defense since that isn't something Crean is good at.  I hope we start amassing more talent with getting guys like edwards next week.. We both know talent can overcome a lot. 

Concerning the first bit of news, sources tell KSR that the Tar Heels (like the Jayhawks) were not one of the schools Edwards seriously prioritized during the home stretch of his recruitment and the superstar guard prospect has been focused on those final three schools for a few weeks now.

Now let’s break down all three finalists.

Following Edwards’ official visit to Kentucky last week, those within the program felt very confident in their position with the elite guard. There’s no doubt the Kentucky coaching staff realizes how talented he is and believes he has a legitimate shot at becoming the No. 1 overall pick in next year’s NBA Draft, and they feel they are the best school to help him accomplish that feat.

Though he’s close to Tyler Herro, his relationship with Ashton Hagans is especially strong, and the current Kentucky point guard is selling him on following in his footsteps: reclassifying, turning down the ‘hometown hero’ offer from Georgia, and developing into one of the top guard prospects in the nation. I’m told Edwards has been receptive of this pitch and strongly values Hagans’ opinion. They likely wouldn’t play together (we’ll get to that in a minute), but it still means something for the elite guard prospect to have someone from his area go through the process already and find success at a high level.

Those outside of Kentucky, however, feel Georgia has taken over the top spot, followed by Florida State and Kentucky, in that order. Staying home and putting on a scoring display in front of friends and family every night, along with continuing his strong relationship with the Georgia coaching staff, is pulling at his heartstrings. He also has a strong relationship with the Seminole coaching staff, so the decision will come down to going with the relationships established at lower-profile schools or going to the blueblood program with glitz, glamour, and branding opportunity before making the jump to the big leagues.

Edwards will be a top-five pick no matter where he goes, but where can he make the biggest name for himself? Under the national spotlight at Kentucky, with a deep run in the tournament possible? Or by putting up absurd numbers at Georgia or FSU, similar to what we saw from Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons?

He’ll be visiting Florida State this weekend, the school many believed to be the leader from the second he reclassified to the class of 2019, so it’ll be interesting to see the kind of push they make. With it being an official visit and his recruitment coming to an end immediately afterward, the Seminole coaching staff will be rolling out the red carpet to make a push back into the lead. Florida State has technically been on him longer than Georgia, so you better believe that they’ll use that as part of their one final pitch to the No. 1 prospect in the nation. Unfortunately for them, I think the relationships are close enough to where Edwards will value proximity to home more when he makes it official on Monday.

Each school feels confident in their spot, but my gut says Georgia on this one

From Jack Pilgrim, KSR recruiting insider

Its TALENT, period.  John Calipari is not known to be a great x and o coach.  He is a good recruiter, and thats even questionable because Kentucky sells itself.  Not to understate the importance of good to great coaching because you HAVE to have that, but you need talent also.  Look at Georgia Tech's program.  Paul Hewitt was a great coach who could take marginal talent to a NCAA championship game.  After a while, good coaching wasn't enough.  I think Georgia's program under Crean is already at that point.  Good coaching is not gonna be enough. The SEC is a good basketball conference now.  You have to have talent to compete at the highest level.

Take this FWIW, but a guy over at DawgNation posted this about Edwards today: 

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/11931/ant-man#latest

I leave the Football insider stuff to the guys who are more in the know than me but when it comes to hoops I'm really plugged in from the NBA down to 10th grade.

I have it on great authority that Anthony Edwards will commit to UGA next week.

This comes from my guys in the state who are heavily involved in the AAU scene and high school coaching. Things are fluid but Dawg fans should be excited about this kid. I saw him play earlier this year and he's unreal.

I'm not a Georgia Basketball fan so I have no skin in this game but Chip's comparison to a Dominique Wilkins type of impact isn't far off.

I'll chime in should things change but Monday will be a good day for Dawg fans.

30 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Take this FWIW, but a guy over at DawgNation posted this about Edwards today: 

thanks man for posting. edwards is a top 3 player in the nation at IMO the most impt position.  

Didn't see it mentioned here but Evan Daniels put in a CB for Edwards to the good guys as well. He's the CBB version of Steve Wiltfong, but with a better track record on picks. Roughly 91% for the 2018 calendar year. 94% all time. He did qualify it with saying it was a gut feeling based on info he's gathered, but a lot of things pointing the right direction... don't blue ball me now...

Georgia doesn't seem too far off, but needs more talent. The right coach is there which is half the battle. 

Down 13 right now, but don't worry, Georgia will get this within 5 before it's all said and done. Seen this Alabama basketball story before. 

36 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Georgia doesn't seem too far off, but needs more talent. The right coach is there which is half the battle. 

Down 13 right now, but don't worry, Georgia will get this within 5 before it's all said and done. Seen this Alabama basketball story before. 

11 lol. We’re not a good team this season. Need more talent, that’s for sure... need the right fits most importantly. We have the basketball version of a spread offense guru taking over a triple option team.

you knew it was done when fsu guys were cbing him to UGA.. lol  yeah cancelling that trip said it all.  You add Edwards to who we are bringing in it's a nice talent influx and a great start to Crean rebuilding.  

I think Kentucky is actually the bigger threat on Edwards right now to Georgia based on what I've read. Maybe I'm too traumatized to believe though. It sounds like Georgia but I'll count the chickens when pen is put to paper.

Talent also does mean something but it's not as meaningful in basketball or else you wouldn't see Tennessee with their 2 and 3 stars ranked #1 or Villanova winning a couple of titles.

17 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I think Kentucky is actually the bigger threat on Edwards right now to Georgia based on what I've read. Maybe I'm too traumatized to believe though. It sounds like Georgia but I'll count the chickens when pen is put to paper.

Talent also does mean something but it's not as meaningful in basketball or else you wouldn't see Tennessee with their 2 and 3 stars ranked #1 or Villanova winning a couple of titles.

not sure what you read, but nothing i have read says that uk is a threat to UGA in this situation.  it's down to 2 teams of course with uk and uga, but  i am on uk boards as well and other boards and everyone is saying it's UGA.  Now will he pick the dawgs for sure?  We won't know 100% until he does, but every recent CB is picking the Dawgs.  Yeah I think you just can't see it happening.  LOL  I know it seems unreal that we have a great shot at getting the #2 overall player in the country.  Crean has done a great job selling Edwards on being the hometown hero and playing his 1 season in front of friends and family.  Let's hope all of the info out there is correct on him picking the dawgs.  When I saw dan macdonald picked UGA for Edwards I had a real belief it was going to happen.  

Talent means a heck of a lot in basketball.  One player can have a huge affect on a team especially in basketball so we will disagree on that. 

13 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

not sure what you read, but nothing i have read says that uk is a threat to UGA in this situation.  it's down to 2 teams of course with uk and uga, but  i am on uk boards as well and other boards and everyone is saying it's UGA.  Now will he pick the dawgs for sure?  We won't know 100% until he does, but every recent CB is picking the Dawgs.  Yeah I think you just can't see it happening.  LOL  I know it seems unreal that we have a great shot at getting the #2 overall player in the country.  Crean has done a great job selling Edwards on being the hometown hero and playing his 1 season in front of friends and family.  Let's hope all of the info out there is correct on him picking the dawgs.  When I saw dan macdonald picked UGA for Edwards I had a real belief it was going to happen.  

Talent means a heck of a lot in basketball.  One player can have a huge affect on a team especially in basketball so we will disagree on that. 

Very possible it's meaningless and that guy was trolling over on said forum (as he's done his best to crap all over Crean...did so about Smart earlier too and had to eat crow, but quite a few did including me) but the main thing I read that was not Kentucky fans going why would a top tier prospect choose Crean over Calipari was I think that Hagans had hosted Edwards on his visit and was telling him how I chose not to be the hometown hero and it worked out for me.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, Carter said:

11 lol. We’re not a good team this season. Need more talent, that’s for sure... need the right fits most importantly. We have the basketball version of a spread offense guru taking over a triple option team.

Definitely lean much more towards this than the talent on the team besides guard play being a problem. Maybe I sh*t talk the triangle too much but I hate that as a system a LOT and it's archaic and so out of date that everyone on the team that isn't new are basically relearning how to play. Combine that with another issue that I'm sure y'all have recognized as well (hint hint: the seniors on the team outside Ogbeide are as good as a lost cause), and Maten leaving from what was already a mediocre team, and this season isn't too surprising. 

Edited by VoiceofReason95

12 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Definitely lean much more towards this than the talent on the team besides guard play being a problem. Maybe I sh*t talk the triangle too much but I hate that as a system a LOT and it's archaic and so out of date that everyone on the team that isn't new are basically relearning how to play. Combine that with another issue that I'm sure y'all have recognized as well (hint hint: the seniors on the team outside Ogbeide are as good as a lost cause), and Maten leaving from what was already a mediocre team, and this season isn't too surprising. 

We are in a transition.  It happened with CKS.  That first year was hard.  Once Crean gets his classes in. We will change.  I am not saying a title but we will make it a lot harder for the SEC teams.    

3 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

We are in a transition.  It happened with CKS.  That first year was hard.  Once Crean gets his classes in. We will change.  I am not saying a title but we will make it a lot harder for the SEC teams.    

The thing is it's not even like that. With CKS it was mostly transitioning to another philosophy, the philosophy of hard work, you have to work to keep your jobs, and a championship game isn't just "another game". The defense is harder to learn, but it was the philosophy that got a bunch of players as I remember, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was even more players that didn't take to it from what was known.

This is different. Carter summed it up correctly based off what I've seen from triangle teams transitioning before. This is like a college football team changing from the triple option to a normal offense. The triangle offense is that out of date. 

1 hour ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

The thing is it's not even like that. With CKS it was mostly transitioning to another philosophy, the philosophy of hard work, you have to work to keep your jobs, and a championship game isn't just "another game". The defense is harder to learn, but it was the philosophy that got a bunch of players as I remember, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was even more players that didn't take to it from what was known.

This is different. Carter summed it up correctly based off what I've seen from triangle teams transitioning before. This is like a college football team changing from the triple option to a normal offense. The triangle offense is that out of date. 

you are right.  but with a talent infusion.  It will change.  I see us in the NIT next year and in the Tournament in 2 years.  Major impact when this crop of freshman turn seniors.