Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

UGA Basketball 2018-19

250 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

we are losing Amir to kennesaw.. it's going to hurt us with wheeler..  if amir had stayed we would have most likely added wheeler.. 

That's a shame, but can't stop someone if they want to be a HC, even tho KSU isn't a very good job.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

Ugh

man he needs one more year

at least he can come back if he needs to

Not if he hired an agent... Hope he's smart about it...

Or maybe I'm wrong... Since the article refutes that. Will look into it. 

Edited by fibonaccisquared

10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I believe we still add wheeler.

I do too.  And with Gresham, we won't have to throw him into the fire as a Freshman.   If Claxton doesn't come back, we will need to use the other 2 available scholarships on the 4 and 5 positions.

95Dawg likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, MayorWest13 said:

Nice. Now we need a center

*hopefully* It's Claxton coming back... https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/georgias-nicolas-claxton-gets-nba-combine-invite-inches-closer-to-lifelong-dream

He's a borderline 1st round talent right now... Most mocks (if he's included at all), however, seem to have him going toward the front of the second round, but not early enough to really think he'd have a good shot at 1st round.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

Tom Crean has recruited Georgia hoops into uncharted territory

ByPALMER THOMBS 2 hours ago

Tom Crean is putting something special together with the basketball program in Athens. With a season under his belt as the Bulldogs' head coach, Crean has hit the road to recruit, and he's hit it hard. Last year the Bulldogs brought in the 37th ranked class, but only two of those four players, Ignas Sargiunas and Tyre Fagan, signed with Crean as the head coach. The other two, Amanze Ngumezi and JoJo Toppin signed while Mark Fox was still at the helm.

Crean noted that he decided to honor the offers made by his predecessor, but last season made his frustrations clear. It was a year of transition across the entire program. The pace of play picked up with the coaching change, and Crean emphasized the importance of recruiting at a high level. He's done just that with the 2019 signing class.

Currently ranked as the nation's No. 7 class with five commits, a five-star prospect and four four-stars, the group is headlined by potential one-and-done Anthony Edwards. Seen as one of the top prospects in the 2020 NBA Draft, Edwards is the highest rated player per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite to sign with Georgia, passing former five-stars Lou Williams and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Williams never played for the red and black, opting to go straight from high school to the NBA after being selected in the second round by the Philadelphia 76ers in 2005. Caldwell-Pope on the other hand came to school and made a name for himself in the SEC. As a sophomore in 2012-13, he was named SEC Player of the Year, averaging 18.5 points and 7.1 rebounds per game. After that season, Caldwell-Pope was selected eighth overall by the Detroit Pistons.

Being in the company of those generational players, the expectations are high for Edwards. He was recruited by all the blue-blood programs and starred against the best competition all week long at the McDonald's All American Game, but the Atlanta native reclassified from 2020 to 2019 and decided upon his home state school. As a combo guard, Edwards will be expected to play both on and off the ball. He can both score and distribute as demonstrated by his 12 points and three assists in the McDonald's All American Game. Crean understands just how important his presence in the backcourt in Athens will be next season.

“Anthony Edwards is a transformative talent, has transformative potential, in the sense of what he can help bring this program," Crean said after receiving the National Letter of Intent from the five-star. "There are so many things that you see with him. When it comes to his talent, when it comes to his explosiveness, when it comes to his desire, his grit, but there's a lot of things that you don't always get to see, and those are the things that we're excited about. There is a tremendous amount of upside in him."

“Put him on the court and let him play," Crean continued about the ways he'll use Edwards. "I think the biggest thing when we will do when he gets here in the summer is really start attacking his skills, his body and where he's got to get stronger. To figure out where he's got to get in better shape. We will do those assessments right off the bat. We will figure out where he's efficient, maybe where it's got to grow ... We'll get a good eight or nine weeks with them this summer, which will be really important. I think the first day they start classes is June 2, I believe, so we'll attack that and then just see what happens."

Edwards may be the star of the class, but the meat of the group comes in the four-star signees. The highest rated among those is Christian Brown who committed to Crean and Georgia about a month after Edwards did so in February. The Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA) small forward chose the Bulldogs over the likes of Clemson, Oklahoma State, and UNLV. In his senior season at Oak Hill, Brown averaged 12.4 points per game with a combined 20 points in two games at the GEICO Nationals.

"I think he is going to be a guy who could do a lot of different things," Crean said about Brown. "He's made a lot of improvements. He's getting bigger, certainly getting taller, and his game is improving ... He's got a lot of untapped talent and fight and aggressiveness that we've just got to help become more fundamentally sound. We've got to help it become more efficient. We've got to help it become clear.”

Edwards and Brown sent in their National Letters of Intent on April 17, but there were others that came before them. Jaykwon Walton and Toumani Camara are pair of small forwards that excite Crean. He had high praise for both of them, making a comparison to a former pupil and current NBA star for Camara.

"Jaykwon Walton was the first one to say ‘yes' from the state of Georgia," Crean said. "He can shoot the ball with range. He's got good length, very good athleticism, very good around the baseline, making plays around the baseline. He wants to win and wants to compete. [He’s] a little quiet, but we'll get that out of him, and he's a winner."

Toumani Camara is the one that that, once we dove in there and had a chance to really get to know him, we got to not only see the upside, but there was a great example of watching somebody play on his AAU team, and then watching him play on film on his high school team, and having a strong, strong belief. It reminded me a lot of how we recruited, or has for me, the way we recruited Victor Oladipo. There were a lot of things that you could see, but once you really dove into what they did in their system and their structured system, then you can really see even more."

The most recent addition to the class is Sahvir Wheeler, a 5-foot-8 point guard out of Houston, Texas. He chose the Bulldogs on Monday over Iowa State and fills a void for Georgia at the point guard position. Last year's team averaged nearly 16 turnovers per game playing without a true point guard. While he will have to compete with Northeastern graduate transfer point guard Donnell Gresham for playing time, his addition is certainly good news for fans of Georgia basketball.

The combined talent on next year's team is something that Georgia has never seen before. All five of the players in the 2019 class are top 100 players compared to none from the 2018 class and just two in the last five signing classes combined. Of the all-time top ten players to sign with the Bulldogs, five will be suiting up this winter at Stegeman Coliseum. That includes signees like Edwards, Brown, and Walton along with upperclassmen Rayshaun Hammonds and Tyree Crump.

The class still has room to grow too as the number of scholarships left open by departures has yet to be filled. Four seniors graduated and three players transferred as Sargiunas, Toppin, and Teshaun Hightower all found new homes. That makes room for seven incomers with an eighth spot potentially open if Nicolas Claxton decides to remain in the NBA Draft. Crean already has the five commits as well as the graduate transfer in Gresham, but look for the head coach to continue to add to the class with more talented options.

fibonaccisquared likes this

Poster on 247

Monkdawg1

10 minutes ago

Spoke to someone yesterday who would know. Nic's had, I believe, 3-4 workouts with various teams, with more to come. He's getting the same feedback that many of us predicted. He needs to work on his shooting and all around offensive game, and he needs to get stronger. Apparently, he was getting pushed around a good bit in those workouts. Therefore, it is thought Nic will be back in Athens next season. If so, we might just save that last scholly for nest year. I know we still have several offers out for posts. Personally, I'd like to fill that scholarship if we can get someone who can play. I don't want a Cannon/Dixon/Florveus type to fill it. Give me a guy with potential.

fibonaccisquared likes this

28 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Poster on 247

Monkdawg1

10 minutes ago

Spoke to someone yesterday who would know. Nic's had, I believe, 3-4 workouts with various teams, with more to come. He's getting the same feedback that many of us predicted. He needs to work on his shooting and all around offensive game, and he needs to get stronger. Apparently, he was getting pushed around a good bit in those workouts. Therefore, it is thought Nic will be back in Athens next season. If so, we might just save that last scholly for nest year. I know we still have several offers out for posts. Personally, I'd like to fill that scholarship if we can get someone who can play. I don't want a Cannon/Dixon/Florveus type to fill it. Give me a guy with potential.

Good share. Definitely what most of us have anticipated in terms of flaws/weaknesses... Seems like a no brainer, since those are all mostly easy things to work on with just time... Put on mass and get stronger, commit to S&C this year. ****.. cross train with some of the football players. Offensive game should have a real chance to shine in year 2 with Crean with improved talent across the board.

95Dawg likes this

Coach Linehan knows DEFENSE!!  Bigtime pickup on the court.  that is something crean needs help with and he got it. 

Coleman is a Wake Forest de-commit. There is something there to work with. I would like to see him be a bit more athletic, but hey, you can't be choosy this late in the game. We need a post something fierce. Apparently, UConn is also after Coleman.

Crean tweeted, "We aren't done yet!" Looks to me like Linehan is pitching in already.