Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

UGA Basketball 2018-19

281 posts in this topic

Crean got my attention with the 110 points in the win over Savannah State.

Watching the game at Temple now... team is looking decent. Think I'll be keeping tabs on these hoops Dawgs.

Go Dawgs!

what a horrible play to come out of a timeout.. coach crean has got to better than that.  we lost, but not a bad game.. we killed ourselves again with 20 turnovers and crump must shoot more than 8 shots. 

Yeah that last play was a pretty poor plan and poorly executed. He had a decent look but too far out and threw up a bad shot. 

Was expecting us to lose a lot worse than we did earlier in the game. It’s a loss with a bunch of turnovers and too many fouls but still I think the future is a lot brighter than it has been.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Yeah that last play was a pretty poor plan and poorly executed. He had a decent look but too far out and threw up a bad shot. 

Was expecting us to lose a lot worse than we did earlier in the game. It’s a loss with a bunch of turnovers and too many fouls but still I think the future is a lot brighter than it has been.

I can't imagine that's exactly the way it was drawn up. If I had to guess, he was supposed to be about 4-5 feet closer in. FWIW I think he had been 3 of 3 on mid range jumpers in the game...

Clean up the turnovers, keep working on passing - both accuracy and selection... And don't commit dumb fouls after you're already beat unless you know you can prevent the score. 

Work in progress, but the product is interesting at least. 

Carter likes this

Next game is Friday 11/16 against Sam Houston State in Stegeman, tipoff at 7 pm Eastern. Looks like coverage will be on SEC Network. So I won't have to watch the game on my laptop lol

2 hours ago, AF89 said:

Is the Georgia State game not on tv? Its wierd that in this day and age I can't even find it on espn3/+

Pretty sure it’s only ona Facebook link.

4 hours ago, AF89 said:

Is the Georgia State game not on tv? Its wierd that in this day and age I can't even find it on espn3/+

The entire invitational is on FB Stadium only. Including finals. Kind of an odd one. 

On the upside, you missed a pretty embarrassing performance. 

we are having lots of turnovers to lazy passing or just horrible ball handling.  Turnovers made being aggressive are not the same as poorly executed basic passes and ballhandling.  There are some other big issues i have seen.  I have seen no evidence to this point that we have learned the basics of team D and  that is not a difficult concept to learn.  I have lost track the number of times a player has been beat and zero players rotated over to protect the basket.  Joe Scott was hired on to help us learn to play defense which is something Crean struggled with teaching while at Indiana.  The other concern is effort.  The clemson game and gsu was a lot about effort.  We were losing every 50/50 ball and it just seemed like the guys were disinterested.  I know we are not going to make the tournament, but we should have competed better in the Georgia State game and we should be have shown a lot more effort in the last two games.  Crean will need some time to get in his guys, but we have enough talent to be competitive. 

16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we have enough talent to be competitive

In watching our guard play, I'm not sure I agree with this. Either Crump/Jackson have to play at 90% or better (to their own ceilings) or we will be very *non-competitive*. A good number of those lazy passes/poor ball handling moments were executed by one of those 2... if the offense is going to run through them, they can't make frequent careless errors.

Agreed on the defensive side of things though. That feels like something that should be able to be cleaned up, regardless the players. Claxton and a few others going to need to learn how to defend smart and not pick up dumb fouls.

Ultimately, if we push the pace offensively and are careless with the ball, we will lose and frequently by a lot. Double edged sword of what Crean wants to do offensively, but I believe that it will 1) tell us what we have on the roster faster, 2) attract more talented athletes, 3) guys should learn through the season rather than clinging to moral victories of playing a team close when they had next to no chance to win still, regardless the score. Hard truths...

great 1st half horrible 2nd half.. what you would expect in year 1.. wildy inconsistent.  that final shot was horrible. 

11 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

great 1st half horrible 2nd half.. what you would expect in year 1.. wildy inconsistent.  that final shot was horrible. 

I say it every game, but WHY is turtle a starter? What does he do? 

And yes.. that last possession.. Claxton, I like your game, but that last possession isn’t your game.. just seeing TC’s face said it all.. wtf 

oh yeah.. and that inbounds pass that led to the lead being given up near the end.. literally waiting for someone to guard the guy before passing it in.. smh

Edited by TheTrue7

11 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

that inbound after a timeout sealed it for them