GhostofGritz

If We Could Hear the Worst Thing You've Said...

93 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I didn’t say ANYthing during the 51 meltdown, I basically went comatose.

And then a few weeks ago, after the Bengals game, I seriously just lost it. It was my first time at the Benz and the whole day had been SO much fun and I was so sure we were going to win it (not for any discernible reason really, but I was sure).

Losing it in the final seconds like that, having what felt like a win taken away ...... it was like everything I’d wanted to say after 51 came out at once. (This was the first game I’d attended in person since then.)

I literally walked out of the stadium YELLING “F*** this mother-f’ing team, all they ever do is break your f’ing heart, I’m never f’ing watching this f’ing BS again.” My poor mother who was with me, trying to quiet me down. I was a one woman spectacle. 

And then a week later I dutifully sat down for the Steelers game. And then last week after the Skins game, I decided we were going back to the Super Bowl.

A typical fan, right? :lol:

Sounds like me when i traveled down for the saints game to witness Matt Ryan toss 5 tds and still f’n lose! I was so bitter

My wife threw the remote at the tv screen so hard after the SB meltdown I had to replace the tv. She’s a small woman but very strong. I didn’t even care. I quite honestly have not been as invested since then. I rarely engage in debates anymore and am perfectly ok with the player/coach/front office hate that is spewed, Even if it’s unwarranted because F U chokers. This is a garbage choker franchise. It is. I’m a fan but until they win it all which they won’t that’s their rep and that’s what the Falcons are. Don’t bother trying to debate me because I won’t respond. I care, but not really. Is that bad enough for you? 

I've been a fan since '73, so during all those years I've probably uttered every curse in the English language, some Sicilian, Spanish, German, etc. 

But since about 2007 I've mellowed to the point where not only does it not emotionally scar me anymore to watch them 'Falcon'...I've come to expect it.  I had every expectation of  a loss in Cleveland the other day, just as I posted on this board days before the game,  "If there's one team in the NFL that can screw it up...it's ours".

Sad but true. 

I celebrate when we win but I never expect to.  I guess that's what 45 years of Falconing does to some of us.

GhostofGritz likes this

11 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Super Bowl 51 was by far the hardest, most emotional thing as a SPORTS fan I've ever endured. It made me numb to sports at that point. The very next year I watched my alma mater give up 2nd and 26....and it didn't hurt. It didnt hurt near as bad as watching Brady drive the field again, and again...2 point conversion after 2 point conversion. The Falcons had already broke me. Cause I'd have given almost anything for us to celebrate that parade. For you, for me...for all of us. I'm a mortician in real life, and in 2012 I sat in a room with a fan who was wearing a jersey and hat. He died 1 day before the game. For one hour I sat with someone I've never met, and went over the game. 4th down, inside the 10 with the game on the line, and Navarro Bowman breaking up the pass to Roddy White. I didnt break that day.

Super Bowl 51 broke me. Not Alabama, not Tua Tonguaviola, not 2nd and 26. Super Bowl 51 broke me as a fan. I just hope someone talks to me one day now....as a true born native, I'd have given almost anything for that day.

This is me in a nutshell...I really lost my spirit for all sports after this...didn't even get mad when 2 and 26 happened - just turned off the TV and went to bed cause for some odd reason, it is not for my teams to be at the top in the football world.  To this day, I don't get excited about my teams.  To see both of them fail in 2012 season in the same endzone (I had already made plans and had a ticket to New Orleans) was bad but I still was excited about the super bowl.  It just ripped the life out of me and I actually enjoy football more now that I don't have so much emotion and expectations invested in it.  Don't care, just see how they play each week.  Still have my season tickets and go every week that I can, but it is not a priority like it used to be.

And if for some reason, they do finally win a super bowl, I won't enjoy it as much as I would have after 51.

Worse thing I have said?  I have yelled at the top of my lungs in the dome, "<insert players/coaches name here>, YOU SUCK!!!".  from Joey Harrington, to D Hall to Greg Knapp (first time) to Bobby Patrino, to Jim Mora.   Don't have that level of passion now.  Am I still a fan?  I don't know....

GhostofGritz and theDIRTYcode like this

26 minutes ago, Shelley#37 said:

And if for some reason, they do finally win a super bowl, I won't enjoy it as much as I would have after 51.

Sad, but true. If the Falcons ever make it back to the Super Bowl, I won't be watching.  I just could not go through roller coaster of pain again. If they make it back in my lifetime, I will just DVR it, get drunk on a good bottle of Scotch and watch a movie.

GhostofGritz likes this

18 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

about the Falcons privately, what would it be?

I'll go first: I said it after Sunday's game, and I've said it several times during the 40+ years I've been a fan of this team:

"Why do I even follow this team? They're never going to win it all."

And then I'm watching them again the following week.

Worst thing you've said?

"The worst thing a team can be known for is the ability to comeback on them. Once that happens, you never break another team's will.  Even up by 14, 17 in the fourth, it makes the other team stronger, more resilient, knowing they will always have a chance to win at the end..."

GhostofGritz likes this

After all these years. I don't know that I really say anything. I just get ticked. Go about my business. Because I know when i log in here there will be enough negativity to go around. no sense in doing that to myself.  Honestly i hope for the best but expect the worst when it comes to the Falcons , and remind myself. It's still better than all those 3-13 and 5-11 years I saw in the 70's and 80's.

Not saying I'm ok with losing. I just move on now. It used to screw me up from sunday afternoon til about wednesday. Life;s too short for that crap

GhostofGritz likes this

38 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

After all these years. I don't know that I really say anything. I just get ticked. Go about my business. Because I know when i log in here there will be enough negativity to go around. no sense in doing that to myself.  Honestly i hope for the best but expect the worst when it comes to the Falcons , and remind myself. It's still better than all those 3-13 and 5-11 years I saw in the 70's and 80's.

Not saying I'm ok with losing. I just move on now. It used to screw me up from sunday afternoon til about wednesday. Life;s too short for that crap

This is a good description of me also, Skeet. I didn't sleep the night after the Pats SB loss. I made up my mind then and there I wasn't going to do that to myself ever again. No matter what the Falcons do now I sleep like a baby.

Skeetbird likes this

5 hours ago, Black Francis said:

My wife threw the remote at the tv screen so hard after the SB meltdown I had to replace the tv. She’s a small woman but very strong. I didn’t even care. I quite honestly have not been as invested since then. I rarely engage in debates anymore and am perfectly ok with the player/coach/front office hate that is spewed, Even if it’s unwarranted because F U chokers. This is a garbage choker franchise. It is. I’m a fan but until they win it all which they won’t that’s their rep and that’s what the Falcons are. Don’t bother trying to debate me because I won’t respond. I care, but not really. Is that bad enough for you? 

You care.   The numbness says you care.    I know - I've been through the numbness too.    Numb is better than pain - or at least that's what your mind tells you.

Black Francis likes this

36 minutes ago, Tandy said:

You care.   The numbness says you care.    I know - I've been through the numbness too.    Numb is better than pain - or at least that's what your mind tells you.

You’re right. Of course I care. It kills me. 

Tandy likes this

37 minutes ago, Tandy said:

To be clear though I didn’t care about the TV. Heck I had to console my wife who was in tears. We were both lit up pretty good so I took her to bed. 

Tandy likes this

I was watching the Falcons/Dolphins game with my best friend (who is a die hard “Phinatic”). We’re leading at the half and he says, “Y’all got this.”. I looked at him and said, “It’s the Falcons bro. Nothing is ever that easy.”  

Dolphins came back and won. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

2 hours ago, Black Francis said:

To be clear though I didn’t care about the TV. Heck I had to console my wife who was in tears. We were both lit up pretty good so I took her to bed. 

I understand.   We made the trip to the Super Bowl - and afterwards - they were dropping dollar bills instead of confetti.   People grabbing the money - and I was kicking it away from me - didn't want to touch it (lol) - I was sobbing.

Got myself together enough to climb up the aisle to the concourse so we could leave - and a young guy - late teens, early twenties came up from the aisle next to ours - in full Falcon gear - with the most heartbreaking sobs you've ever heard.    That of course, did me in -  -  -  -   again :(

Black Francis likes this

8 hours ago, Black Francis said:

I got to say Black.....Im very surprised at you....how could you not care about the TV...so sad :(

Tandy and Black Francis like this

9 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I understand.   We made the trip to the Super Bowl - and afterwards - they were dropping dollar bills instead of confetti.   People grabbing the money - and I was kicking it away from me - didn't want to touch it (lol) - I was sobbing.

Got myself together enough to climb up the aisle to the concourse so we could leave - and a young guy - late teens, early twenties came up from the aisle next to ours - in full Falcon gear - with the most heartbreaking sobs you've ever heard.    That of course, did me in -  -  -  -   again :(

That was a tough night for sure. You have to be hard to be a Falcon fan.  : )

Tandy likes this

Just now, Black Francis said:

That was a tough night for sure. You have to be hard to be a Falcon fan.  : )

Yup, and even so - you still break now and again.     That game was a breaker.

Black Francis likes this

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

I got to say Black.....Im very surprised at you....how could you not care about the TV...so sad :(

My woman was crying. Nothing else matters to me when she’s upset. That’s just how I roll. 

RING OF HONOR and Tandy like this