2018 Falcons Offense Deadlier Than 2016 Version?

stingbee

After a difficult start in 2018, the Falcons Offense is trending to be the most efficient in it’s history. I really do thing this version is even more deadlier than the 2016 version. 

I really do think Matt Ryan is operating at the peak of his career- This Matt Ryan looks like a Professor or a General on the field commanding his troops with efficiency and potency. Matt Ryan has this deadly look on his eyes and looking like quiet assassin shredding the defenses. 

This verion has a mature Austin Hooper who is developing to be a very efficient weapon for Matt Ryan. Ito Smith looks like another great addition to the RB core and he is becoming a major force for the Falcons. Then, there is Calvin Ridley which really magnified this version by opening the field for Matty Ice- a much better of version of Turbo Taylor. Calvin will be a force to come in the years to come. Then, you have the old amigos of Julio Jones and Sanu-these two great receivers have professionalism and leadership for the offense. Sanu has been a great teammate defying some posters about dropping him. Sanu has swagger and toughness that you want from your receivers. Julio is the ultimate teammate who I love and respect- his cool and a great guy to be around. 

Tevin Coleman has speed and athleticism that adds a different dimension to the offense. Finally, you have Matty Ice and Sark- these two are gelling and you could see how they are on the same page. Actually, I think Sark is even a better version of Kyle because he seems more humble and practical. 

Matt Ryan is playing on another level. The 3rd down efficiecy and Red Zone efficiency are very important metrics- this shows the Falcons have the best chances of converting 3rd down than any other team and one of the Top 5 in Red Zone. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this number going into top 3 and PTs average rising between 30-33. In other words, a Top 3 Offense. Matt Ryan will have more 5000 yards and probably 40 touchdowns or so which be a career best. 

We haven’t seen the best of the offense which makes this team even more scarier- the OL is stablizing in blocking and run plays. One number that has a lot room to go higher is the running game. The Falcons running numbers could start averaging around 120-130 during the 2nd half of the season. The total offense could improve to #3 due to running game improvement. 

In Summary, this team is started to look Like the 2016 version, but even much better. This team seems more tougher and even more battle tested. The offense looks mesmerizing and a thing of beauty. Don’t fight the trends and facts. #FalconsRising

Edited by stingbee

I dont think so. Two things always stood out to me about that offense. 

1. We picked up such big chunks on 1st and 2nd down that we rarely reached 3rd downs. Multiple long drives with no 3rd downs.

2. No defense could slow us down. Top defense? Didnt matter. We were dropping 30 on them.

This offense is very good though.

1 hour ago, falconfreek123 said:

I have a seemingly unharmful question.

Do the Falcons still run WCO?(the style of play seems like we are running a personal made-up offense) If so, what have been the major differences between Sark and Shanahan? And to put it frankly who seems better?

Yes.

I don't know (and this isn't directed specifically at you) how this idea that Sark is running a different system than Shanahan did got to be so widespread, but it's a lie. The whole reason Sark was hired was because Quinn thought he could run Shanahan's offense, of course with his own tweaks and verbiage, but fundamentally it's the same offense Shanahan installed.

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If we can run the ball like we did vs Carolina and Washington then we are every bit the equal of 2016.  Time will tell.  But as of right now, we are still too 1-dimensional. You see what happens when we rush for 125 ypg....we become an unstoppable tour de force

That's exactly the key Nevermind the highlight footage of the passing game,the key for the Falcons is getting that balance right.Those 2-3 yarder s that may not look like much are actually key for PA which is our QBs strength.

I think Sark and Ryan know it.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

That's exactly the key Nevermind the highlight footage of the passing game,the key for the Falcons is getting that balance right.Those 2-3 yarder s that may not look like much are actually key for PA which is our QBs strength.

I think Sark and Ryan know it.

Ryan just alluded to this on his presser.  He said the running game has been the catalyst for our offense the last few weeks.  

3 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

I have a seemingly unharmful question.

Do the Falcons still run WCO?(the style of play seems like we are running a personal made-up offense) If so, what have been the major differences between Sark and Shanahan? And to put it frankly who seems better?

Yes, it’s the same offense. It’s the big reason Sark was hired, because Quinn believes in the WCO. 

To answer the OP, our passing offense is better, but we’re not overall as good because we don’t run the ball near as well as we did in 2016.

That inability to run the ball has cost us several games already this year. 

9 minutes ago, fuego said:

Nice to see Coleman being used some in the passing game now. We need more of that. 

Yes but I was more encouraged that they didn't go away from the run and they seem the last 2 weeks are trying to focus on running inside.

Coleman wen they off of RG to seal it against the Giants.

Smith went off of LG/LT inside shoulder to score this week.

Very good signs and hope to see more of it.

Like someone already said, 2016 had the better run game while 2018 has the better pass game, however, when it comes to Super Bowl teams historically you must have both and the running game is more vital. I can hardly remember the last time a Super Bowl team not named the Patriots did NOT have an 1000 yard rusher on the team. When you get in the playoffs and face good defenses (or rushing defenses) you must be balanced with a good running game, and the Falcons don't have the best run game right now.

Another thing I must point out, the NFL is a lot more offense friendly in 2018 than it was in 2016 with all the new tackling rules and the way you must take down a QB now. There's been more high scoring games this year and even in the preseason than it has ever been. The 2016 Falcons offense adapted to the old rules, and we don't know if the 2018 Falcons offense would have been this good with the old rules. So I'll still take the 2016 offense any day, and an offense that had an 100% healthy Freeman and Coleman together. 

The point is that the Running game is going to look better as we enter the 2nd half- we will see more consistency and the emergence of Ito Smith is a good thing for the offense. We still have 8 games left and this offense will become even more balanced and deadlier. 

Edited by stingbee

20 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Ryan just alluded to this on his presser.  He said the running game has been the catalyst for our offense the last few weeks.  

Bingo. In the six games we failed to rush for 100 yards, we averaged 26.5 ppg and went 2-4.

In the two games we rushed for 100+ yards, we averaged a very 2016 like 34.5 ppg and went 2-0.

The reason I’m bullish is because the running game has room to improve and Ito Smith is looking good. We are averaging over 80+ yards per game and I see this number reaching close 100 yards average by the end of the season- this means in the 2nd half we will average close to 120 Yards/Game. If we get this going, I don’t see who will be able to stop the Falcons in the NFC.