Steve Sarkisian Breaks Down Film of Calvin Ridley

JayOzOne

People considering him for a HC position need to ask themselves a question, what would Sark be without Ryan?  Matt Ryan makes OC's into HC candidates.  Sark has been great, but just how great would he be without one of the best QB's in the league under center? 

All of Matt's previous OC's went on to be HC's.  Mularkey was a failure at HC.  The book is still out on Koetter and Shanahan, but things aren't looking too great for them right now.  If I'm a GM, there's no way that I am even considering Sark until he has done something to prove that he's not just riding Ryan's coattails.

And if I was Sark, I wouldn't entertain a HC job for at least two more years.  Right now, he's having success, and he's relatively out of the spotlight.  When you take that HC job, the focus is entirely on you, and the odds of him having instant success are slim.  I don't think that it would be wise for a recovering alcoholic to put that kind of stress on himself at this point.

25 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I heard him mentioned as a potential HC a couple days ago. They said that the only thing that people would be concerned about is his problem with substance abuse at USC. It's a long ways from last year.

Sark is way past that. We all smoke crack and drink too much on Sundays. Sark has overcome that

11 minutes ago, robertap said:

People considering him for a HC position need to ask themselves a question, what would Sark be without Ryan?  Matt Ryan makes OC's into HC candidates.  Sark has been great, but just how great would he be without one of the best QB's in the league under center? 

All of Matt's previous OC's went on to be HC's.  Mularkey was a failure at HC.  The book is still out on Koetter and Shanahan, but things aren't looking too great for them right now.  If I'm a GM, there's no way that I am even considering Sark until he has done something to prove that he's not just riding Ryan's coattails.

And if I was Sark, I wouldn't entertain a HC job for at least two more years.  Right now, he's having success, and he's relatively out of the spotlight.  When you take that HC job, the focus is entirely on you, and the odds of him having instant success are slim.  I don't think that it would be wise for a recovering alcoholic to put that kind of stress on himself at this point.

Meh, Sark’s a 2-3 years away from being a HC again. Too much personal baggage for teams to take that chance this soon. Good for us, and good for him.

38 minutes ago, robertap said:

That's pretty much true for every OC.  QBs are the engine of any offense and you need a good one and a supporting cast to realize any success.  Kyle's genius was only realized in places where he had competence under center.

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

That's pretty much true for every OC.  QBs are the engine of any offense and you need a good one and a supporting cast to realize any success.  Kyle's genius was only realized in places where he had competence under center.

Shanahan's playbook and the Falcons' offensive players was the perfect storm. Everything meshed. Can you imagine the 2016 offense playing with the 2017 defense?

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Meh, Sark’s a 2-3 years away from being a HC again. Too much personal baggage for teams to take that chance this soon. Good for us, and good for him.

Yep. Other teams are going to want to see another couple of years due to the 'baggage' and last year. 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

Yep. Other teams are going to want to see another couple of years due to the 'baggage' and last year. 

They're also going to want to see his schemes and designs and know how they differ from Shanny's. I wonder if Sark is now a part of Shanahan's tree, even though they never worked together.

22 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

They're also going to want to see his schemes and designs and know how they differ from Shanny's. I wonder if Sark is now a part of Shanahan's tree, even though they never worked together.

I still don't see the strategy behind his calls Shanny had though. But the team is definitely executing his calls better. 

8 hours ago, HMFIC said:

That woman's voice is so nasal it's difficult to understand her.  Sark did a good job of diagramming the plays featuring the outstanding ability of Ridley, but what's so difficult about a double move ?  You would think that every receiver would have that move down pat before he gets to the NFL.

Takes thousands of hours of practice. 

See Steve Largent and jerry rice. Ridley I think may have that same insane work ethic they had. 

2 hours ago, HMFIC said:

That woman's voice is so nasal it's difficult to understand her.  Sark did a good job of diagramming the plays featuring the outstanding ability of Ridley, but what's so difficult about a double move ?  You would think that every receiver would have that move down pat before he gets to the NFL.

That's Kelsey Conway. There's a recent video on youtube where the press is interviewing Oliver about stepping up. She's in the frame and looks completely spacey and out of it. Either she didn't want to be near Oliver or she was on some sort of drug. Was awkward to see. 

3 hours ago, HMFIC said:

It's not that a double move is difficult in and of itself.... It's the ability to sell the break, read the corner and break the route as soon as he commits to the out and then to accelerate on the second move all at full speed..... That's what creates that kind of separation.

12 hours ago, fuego said:

I still don't see the strategy behind his calls Shanny had though. But the team is definitely executing his calls better. 

You didn’t see them sell that Julio TD as a run all game, heck, all year long? There’s a reason only 2 redskins players were even in the screen when Julio caught the ball.

34 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

You didn’t see them sell that Julio TD as a run all game, heck, all year long? There’s a reason only 2 redskins players were even in the screen when Julio caught the ball.

It’s not a dis against Sark that he isn’t as skilled at play calling as Shanny. It’s ridiculous to try and defend him as being as skilled as Shanny though. We’re in a good place offensively now.