SoCalFalconFan

Falcons Sign Former Raiders DE Bruce Irvin

594 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Yeah but clearly they are not the same type of player. Peppers is a freak of nature brooks reed is brooks reed.

Peppers isn't the player he used to be. Most time, I forget he's still playing.

Just now, Statick said:

Peppers isn't the player he used to be. Most time, I forget he's still playing.

Indeed but his ceiling has always been higher than reeed's. Brooks hasnt done ANYTHING this year.

21 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Noooooo he is terrible there.  People complain about his pass rush I dont know how you cant see hes even worse standing up moving backwards. 

Actually no,he’s not terrible there red. That move played a big role in D’s 2nd half resurgence last year. 

I love this signing, it gives Quinn more chess moves defensively. 

falconidae and jrydun like this

27 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Your fear is Vic having a good stretch during our p/o push, when the SB is in our house?

You're worried about next year and money?

:doh:

Welcome home Bruce!

What I am saying is NOT that I want Vic to have a bad second half, but that our front office would make a stupid move of then basing his resigning by just looking at 8 games of play.

I think very few would right now want to resign Beasley to a multi-year deal based on his first half of 2018, but how good of a second half of 2018 would he have to play to warrant it?  If he gets 8 sacks in the final 8 games, would you consider him to still be at the level he was in 2016?  Would you attribute this to Bruce's mentoring and that it would continue?

I love the Irvin signing and glad will be getting his services relatively cheap since he cleared waivers.  If the next year and the cap impact were of no concern, we should have traded for him or even him and Khali Mack to start the season?

1 hour ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Thinking Vic may go back to some snaps at LB.  We’ll see... 

Doubt that. Campbell isn’t coming off the field. You just get creative where you maybe slide takk inside and out Beasley or Irvin next to him and Grady in the middle. That’s a wicked pass rush. Too much speed. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Doubt that. Campbell isn’t coming off the field. You just get creative where you maybe slide takk inside and out Beasley or Irvin next to him and Grady in the middle. That’s a wicked pass rush. Too much speed. 

Yeah, who are you going to double?

2 minutes ago, FZero said:

If anybody is wondering deion Jones was and is the only every down player in our front 7. Stop acting like everyone plays every snap lol y all sound like moms arguing playing time 

Wrong...Grady, Campbell, and Takk are all 3 down players.

9 minutes ago, FZero said:

Wrong. They get subbed all the time watch the film. It's called scheme and rest. Do not sit here and say they play every down every game lmao it's called rotation genius 

Never said they didn't sub out. I thought you were referring to them being 3 down players.

Edited by Kung Fu Kenny

17 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Obviously you’re talking about me so I will respond. I never said he wouldn’t help, just that he would be depth. Which in reality means he contributes at the least. Irvin isn’t a player you sign for depth. You sign him and you play him to his max potential. 

He played strong side linebacker and de in Seattle with Quinn. Can he do the same in Atlanta, sure. Problem is Quinn has too much belief in the guys on the roster to allow it, which is a good thing and bad thing. Irvin is an every down player and I’m sure he wants to put himself in a position to do that. That’s JMO on it though. I just honestly do not see him being a falcon even though I would love to have him but I want him to be a heavy contributor. I want Quinn to show some balls and give him some of Beasley’s snaps. That won’t happen though. 

I think Irvin will play the role Vic was supposed to mature into last year. first 2 downs as an OLB, 3rd down as an end type rusher. Problem with Vic is that his game isn't complete enough to shine with that many responsibilities, hence why he switched back to "full time DE" this year. Vic will remain "full time DE" (on third down only), and Irvin will take the true LEO role. At least that's my understanding, someone please correct me if i'm wrong 

vitaman and ya_boi_j like this

1 minute ago, The_Realist said:

I think Irvin will play the role Vic was supposed to mature into last year. first 2 downs as an OLB, 3rd down as an end type rusher. Problem with Vic is that his game isn't complete enough to shine with that many responsibilities, hence why he switched back to "full time DE" this year. Vic will remain "full time DE" (on third down only), and Irvin will take the true LEO role. At least that's my understanding, someone please correct me if i'm wrong 

I've seen Vic in coverage a lot this year.

ya_boi_j likes this

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

My only fear is that Beasley might suddenly have a great second half this year, get the dumb Falcons front office to sign him to a long-term deal, but then return to his first half 2018 form in 2019 since he will have his money.

So... you're worried that a good young player, who's already led the league in sacks once, continues to get better?

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

2 minutes ago, The_Realist said:

Doubt that because now you’d be taking Campbell off the field. And that wouldn’t be good. Beasley only played SLB because duke got hurt and Campbell had to move back to WLB. Campbell ain’t coming off the field at SLB. I feel like they will get creative with him and slide takk inside sometimes to get all 3 off them on the field along with Grady. 

falconidae likes this

Just now, FZero said:

Who in the blue h_ll have you seen sub in for debo lol that's like saying somebody subs in for Luke keuchly lmao 

I edited my original response because I thought you were saying Debo was our only 3 down player in the front 7.

17 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Good deal

That's crazy from the Raiders POV. They have over 8 mil in dead money and he was the only one providing pass rush. Even with only 3 sacks, he was leading the team in sacks. 

My guess is he stood up to Gruden in the locker room and said what everybody else was thinking- "This sucks" & "You're an idiot"

Irvin is going to think he died and went to heaven, playing for DQ and alongside Takk, Grady, Senat, Beasely & Crawford.

Falcons will get first crack at resigning him next off season.  Wouldn't be surprised if he signs a big deal elsewhere and the falcons get a comp pick, if they can't re-sign him.

Don't see a downside to this at all. Great mid season move.

citsalp likes this

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

That's crazy from the Raiders POV. They have over 8 mil in dead money and he was the only one providing pass rush. Even with only 3 sacks, he was leading the team in sacks. 

My guess is he stood up to Gruden in the locker room and said what everybody else was thinking- "This sucks" & "You're an idiot"

Irvin is going to think he died and went to heaven, playing for DQ and alongside Takk, Grady, Senat, Beasely & Crawford.

Falcons will get first crack at resigning him next off season.  Wouldn't be surprised if he signs a big deal elsewhere and the falcons get a comp pick, if they can't re-sign him.

Don't see a downside to this at all. Great mid season move.

Plus, he’s played a total of 33 snaps in a month, so he still basically fresh.

3 hours ago, jdawg4876 said:

Lol no a rook my take his spot but you're not building your team around a 31 year old defensive end/ linebacker.

Overall I do wish you would have signed him on a two-year deal but he'll be on another team next year he's coming here to play for us hopefully maybe win a Superbowl and Ball out and show the Patriots and Steelers and maybe even the Seahawks that he can still get you you know six or seven sacks a year and get a 2-year deal somewhere else to end his career

Bruce Irvin is all out hustle & plays with fire especially playing for his home town and giving up soo much money.

Beasley cant come close to his production or work ethics. 

Dan Quinn obviously knows that and thats why they got him.

vitaman likes this

3 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

So... you're worried that a good young player, who's already led the league in sacks once, continues to get better?

When that one good year is being shown to have been a fluke, why not?

5 minutes ago, The_Realist said:

we're going to see him used a few different ways. you're in the vacinity

PokerSteve and The_Realist like this

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

When that one good year is being shown to have been a fluke, why not?

we're going to see him used a few different ways. you're in the vacinity

I think Beasley will benefit from Irvin being on the field at the same time as him.

He may not make it to the QB, but Beasley can definitely get them off their spot.