SoCalFalconFan

Falcons Sign Former Raiders DE Bruce Irvin

594 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, shock said:

He just followed the Falcons, Takk McKinley, and one of our new head media guys on twitter... He’s coming home. 

He trying to at least

Drew4719 likes this

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Common sense also tells you that he doesn't need to replace anyone to be more than just "depth". You make it sound like he wouldn't get a significant number of snaps. There's no reason to think he wouldn't see as many as Beasley considering how much they rotate.

What even makes you think he wants to be a backup? I’ve seen the games. There really isn’t much of a rotation at defensive end as you would think. There is a 4 man rotation. That’s it. Behind takk and Beasley, reed has 40% of total defensive snaps. That isn’t as significant as you think. So taking that into consideration, there is a reason to think he won’t see as many as Beasley. If you don’t believe me you’re more than free to average to numbers yourself

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, shock said:

He just followed the Falcons, Takk McKinley, and one of our new head media guys on twitter... He’s coming home. 

If he does, I just hope he’s used a ton, even if it means taking snaps from Beasley. I couldn’t see him not wanting to be a starter though. Guess I’m wrong if he signs

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

What even makes you think he wants to be a backup? I’ve seen the games. There really isn’t much of a rotation at defensive end as you would think. There is a 4 man rotation. That’s it. Behind takk and Beasley, reed has 40% of total defensive snaps. That isn’t as significant as you think. So taking that into consideration, there is a reason to think he won’t see as many as Beasley. If you don’t believe me you’re more than free to average to numbers yourself

idk what he wants to be but if he comes here then he clearly is ok with what he's been told.

We can't pretend to think there's really anyone outside of 98 and 44 who is a pass rusher. He can steal snaps away from other guys and get more than enough snaps to make a difference. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

If he does, I just hope he’s used a ton, even if it means taking snaps from Beasley. I couldn’t see him not wanting to be a starter though. Guess I’m wrong if he signs

I agree he will prefer to start, but I think more than anything he will want a spot to showcase his skills to get a nice deal to start next season. In November players generally don’t get to be overly picky.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

At this point he is rotational player at best. Teams could have claimed off waivers but he has been terrible this year. One of the worst edge rushers in NFL.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

I agree he will prefer to start, but I think more than anything he will want a spot to showcase his skills to get a nice deal to start next season. In November players generally don’t get to be overly picky.

Any team could have claimed off waivers for pretty cheap. He is on decline, nothing more than a rotational piece. 

Just now, Malachore said:

idk what he wants to be bit if he comes here then he clearly is ok with what he's been told.

We can't pretend to think there's really anyone outside of 98 and 44 who is a pass rusher. He can steal snaps away from other guys and get more than enough snaps to make a difference. 

Takk and Grady are the best pass rushers on the team. Vic is the almost king like Kroy was back in the days. Irvin fights and finishes the play and uses more than a spin move. 

Part of the problem in this thread is that for whatever reason y’all think I said he won’t help or he wasn’t needed. I never said that at all

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

At this point he is rotational player at best. Teams could have claimed off waivers but he has been terrible this year. One of the worst edge rushers in NFL.

No one wanted to pick up his salary...

I also dont think you can judge him solely on his stint with the Raiders...Im giving everyone who comes out of there a pass

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I also dont think you can judge him solely on his stint with the Raiders...Im giving everyone who comes out of there a pass

Lol thats totally fair

shock and RING OF HONOR like this

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t know if his play this year is a sign of decline or just like the rest of that team not wanting to give his all for gruden. He’s never been a primary de until this season and he’s also never been a top notch pass rusher if we’re being honest but he plays with an extreme high motor.

which again is why I asked earlier in this thread and it got overlooked, why do people want him now vs over a month ago people were saying **** no. 

RING OF HONOR likes this

4 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I agree. 

RING OF HONOR likes this

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Any team could have claimed off waivers for pretty cheap. He is on decline, nothing more than a rotational piece. 

When you take a player on waivers ..you take over his contract...thats why if he clears...he becomes a free agent

falcons007 likes this

5 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don’t know if his play this year is a sign of decline or just like the rest of that team not wanting to give his all for gruden. He’s never been a primary de until this season and he’s also never been a top notch pass rusher if we’re being honest but he plays with an extreme high motor.

which again is why I asked earlier in this thread and it got overlooked, why do people want him now vs over a month ago people were saying **** no. 

The coaches and GM probably know that part. I  agree. If he is on decline, he probably will be another. Brooks Reid level player.

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

When you take a player on waivers ..you take over his contract...thats why if he clears...he becomes a free agent

Which was 3 M and can cut him. That’s nothing for a starting level DE. I am all for bringing in him as one of the pieces.

RING OF HONOR likes this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

The coaches and GM probably know that part. I  agree. If he is on decline, he probably will be another. Brooks Reid level player.

Who needs more snaps as well. If the falcons sign him they gotta be creative and not waste time 

falcons007 likes this

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Who needs more snaps as well. If the falcons sign him they gotta be creative and not waste time 

And he can be good depth just in case. You can’t have enough pass rushers. DQ knows him better, let’s see if he has a plan. 

Drew4719, Vandy, ya_boi_j and 1 other like this

Just now, falcons007 said:

And he can be good depth just in case. You can’t have enough pass rushers. DQ knows him better, let’s see if he has a plan. 

I found it interesting looking at the snap percentage. Shelby and means barely got in the game so I can’t even count them. Realistically it’s only a 3 man rotation at de. DT is where the real rotation is. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Can Foye rush the passer?

Passing downs slide Takk inside or just add Irvin to the rotation.

The Falcons need all the help they can get.

I have an issue with the notion of moving a successful pass rusher from his natural position to accommodate an unnecessary FA addition. 

No way Quinn would do this,  and if he did, he'd be an idiot.