Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ket222

Will our running game remain dominant? Key to offense

15 posts in this topic

We seemed to have lacked our dominance in the running game most of the season until the most recent game (against a very good defense).  Why do you think we've suddenly looked so good, esp. with our injuries on the Oline?  Are we throwing more to our running backs (such as that great screen pass to Coleman)? 

What was our problem before (it seemed only our pass game has been great all season), and will we likely remain as awesome running throughout the season?  This seemed to be the reason our offense was impossible to stop in 2016.  can we consistently do this against the elite teams? for instance, if we had to play the eagles again in the playoffs.

I've always loved coleman--I suppose there's no way we can keep him next year? 

The Redskins were seriously concerned about the run in my opinion. However, I will say, completing 10/10 3rd downs deflates a team. It ruins their moral. It makes them over pursue. And when they over pursue.. you hit them with traps and counters and they cannot stop it. They got outcoached so bad they got left literally laying in their jock strap. 

Peyton likes this

I'm not sure what we did differently scheme wise but we threw on first down a lot more and made them rush the passer on early downs. I assume their uncertainty on second and third downs played a factor. 

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

We should have no issue running on the Browns they're dead last in rush Defense. They have allowed the most rush yards and rush TDs.

Cowboys, Saints and Ravens in 3 straight games will be the tough task of running. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

8 hours ago, ket222 said:

We seemed to have lacked our dominance in the running game most of the season until the most recent game (against a very good defense).  Why do you think we've suddenly looked so good, esp. with our injuries on the Oline?  Are we throwing more to our running backs (such as that great screen pass to Coleman)? 

What was our problem before (it seemed only our pass game has been great all season), and will we likely remain as awesome running throughout the season?  This seemed to be the reason our offense was impossible to stop in 2016.  can we consistently do this against the elite teams? for instance, if we had to play the eagles again in the playoffs.

I've always loved coleman--I suppose there's no way we can keep him next year? 

Running ball on 2nd and long against redskins nickle was a brilliant adjustment by Sark. Even I could have run through those gapping holes on those plays. 

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

if we lose coleman next year but keep ito and freeman, will we be much worse off or can ito fill in and do what coleman does, esp. with screens and quick passes down the field?

8 hours ago, tywreezy33 said:

The Redskins were seriously concerned about the run in my opinion. However, I will say, completing 10/10 3rd downs deflates a team. It ruins their moral. It makes them over pursue. And when they over pursue.. you hit them with traps and counters and they cannot stop it. They got outcoached so bad they got left literally laying in their jock strap. 

Yeah I don't think people realize how much Ryan cutting those guys up in the pass game helped the run game.  Quinn recognized it though, talked about it in the presser. 

Dave Archer said they left the decision to run or pass to Matt Ryan  especially in Nickel and on second downs. The Redskins LB were sold on stopping play action passing game, that helped the running game. Sark did great job in mixing plays with same formations. The Redskins didn’t know what was coming. 

Spreading defenses out and continue throwing to the RBs out of the backfield is what will continue to stress defenses.  Falcons finally threw first to run the ball.  Sark is seeing the light using all the weapons on this offense.  

I think the success this past Sunday was touched on by the annoucers saying that Ryan and the offense were often giving the Redskins defense the same look on both passing and running plays, and that may have kept the Skins D guessing. Plus the Falcons OL was getting to the second level a lot, and that helped tremendously. Long drives also wore the Skins D down too. I think it was a number of things that led to the running success. Also, the Falcons just wanted it more than the Skins did.

Vandy likes this

21 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah I don't think people realize how much Ryan cutting those guys up in the pass game helped the run game.  Quinn recognized it though, talked about it in the presser. 

I was just going to say. If not for Ryan having a great year, our running game with this current o-line would be worse.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We should have no issue running on the Browns they're dead last in rush Defense. They have allowed the most rush yards and rush TDs.

Cowboys, Saints and Ravens in 3 straight games will be the tough task of running. 

One of the things I like about the KS/SS Falcon offenses is that we can thrive without racking up a lot of rushing yards. I remember hearing somewhere that for our team, the more important number is attempts. Even on Sunday, the commentators made note of the fact that because of play design and how our runs and passes look exactly the same, if the Falcons stay committed to the run regardless of results, the play action passing game is still very effective. This makes me less concerned about facing stout run defenses (although having both Ito Smith and Tevin Coleman on my fantasy team does mitigate that some).