Can we talk about the Julio TD...

ki46dinah

Can we talk about this play design?

I have been VERY critical of Sark....last year was not only a step back from 2016, but was more regression than we (I) was hoping for. The offense was out of sync, play designs were unimaginative, and there was no good concept of play setup.

THIS PLAY THOUGH is beautiful. We see Ito in the single back set, 3 TE bunch right, and Julio on an island far left of the hash.

The play presnap is screaming TOSS RIGHT or OFF RIGHT TACKLE/outside zone or some kind of TE screen/rub route combo.

Julio gets the solo treatment.

The play goes playfake toss right, even Schweitzer and Matthews both fake like they are run blocking or maybe zone blocking going right.

A moment later, in the blink of an eye, they peel off, sprinting left towards Julio, who now is receiving a perfectly timed throw from Ryan.

Wes does an okay enough(not textbook but it worked) job of sealing off the inside of the screen....and Matthews of course cleanly obliterated Norman. Julio then does the rest....any skill player can elevate themselves into greatness when they are one on one with someone.

Freeman routinely breaks ankles in the open field.

Tevin runs like a deer past them.

Hoop stiff arms their soul or attempts to leap them.

Julio does a little bit of everything...and his greatness elevated him above Ha Ha as he walked past him and his angle, then for good measure broke a tackle just to make things interesting as he fell into the endzone. 

Awesome sauce

Let's not get carried away.  You can't look at the outcome of plays and say, "that was really good play calling".  You already know the outcome, and just pointing out where receivers should go is not really helpful and by no means indicates if it was a good call.  Sark has been calling better plays.  This has been most evident by the fact that he is now mixing in some isolation, trap and veer running plays and not just doing toss sweeps every time we need yards on the ground.  He should have done this five games ago, but whatever.  He is still, in my opinion, not putting 60 minutes together.  There was a period in third quarter where I think he forgot he was in the NFL and called eight or nine of the lowest percentage down and distance plays you could possibly call.  You might call one over that span to keep the defense thinking but they were just terrible calls.

The TD to Julio was I believe called on a third and 2.  WR screens are generally predicted against an unknown defense to pick-up between 3 - 7 yards on average.  The Skins were actually in a good defense against that play which would in theory drop the average yards and make it a lower percentage play, but since we needed two yards the chance for to gain a first was probably greater than 50%.  The reason it was a TD was because of the execution.  Ryan is the Boss.  That fake and then to put the ball exactly where it needed to be even with the DE breathing down his throat was beautiful.  Jake, layed wood and there were outstanding blocks at the second level across the board.  The other WR sold their routes hard and JJ is a grown *** man and willed that ball into the end zone.

The play design was a typical WR screen.  For the down and distance it was a good call with a high probability of making about four yards.  The execution across the board was outstanding.  Everyone on the Falcons excelled from the snap to the TD and that is why it went the distance.  Nothing really more.

5 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

He is still, in my opinion, not putting 60 minutes together.  There was a period in third quarter where I think he forgot he was in the NFL and called eight or nine of the lowest percentage down and distance plays you could possibly call.  

I agree about the end of the 3rd quarter...some head scratchers.

Nonetheless, Shanny didn't always get 60min...SB for example.

Sark deserves a lot of credit, because all eyes have been on him. 4-4 because of injuries...not Sark.

8 hours ago, ki46dinah said:

Can we talk about this play design?

I have been VERY critical of Sark....last year was not only a step back from 2016, but was more regression than we (I) was hoping for. The offense was out of sync, play designs were unimaginative, and there was no good concept of play setup.

THIS PLAY THOUGH is beautiful. We see Ito in the single back set, 3 TE bunch right, and Julio on an island far left of the hash.

The play presnap is screaming TOSS RIGHT or OFF RIGHT TACKLE/outside zone or some kind of TE screen/rub route combo.

Julio gets the solo treatment.

The play goes playfake toss right, even Schweitzer and Matthews both fake like they are run blocking or maybe zone blocking going right.

A moment later, in the blink of an eye, they peel off, sprinting left towards Julio, who now is receiving a perfectly timed throw from Ryan.

Wes does an okay enough(not textbook but it worked) job of sealing off the inside of the screen....and Matthews of course cleanly obliterated Norman. Julio then does the rest....any skill player can elevate themselves into greatness when they are one on one with someone.

Freeman routinely breaks ankles in the open field.

Tevin runs like a deer past them.

Hoop stiff arms their soul or attempts to leap them.

Julio does a little bit of everything...and his greatness elevated him above Ha Ha as he walked past him and his angle, then for good measure broke a tackle just to make things interesting as he fell into the endzone. 

Awesome sauce

Shanahan used to run the quick throw screens, and Sarkisian came in last year and added the play action element to the play.  The Falcons just usually didn't get the timing right or missed the blocks last year.  On Sunday we saw what happens when the play is executed.perfectly.