Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Falcon Jedi Knight

NFL.COM DEBRIEF -- Can Falcons Defense Sustain It?

36 posts in this topic

If the Falcons' defensive improvement is sustainable.

The Falcons' defense doesn't need to be great. It just needs to be passable, to allow the team's top-five offense do the rest. It's possible that Atlanta coach Dan Quinn self-scouted well during the team's bye week and came up with some solutions to mitigate the defensive damage, which translated to just 14 points allowed in Washington. It's also possible Atlanta simply ran into an anemic Redskins offense at precisely the right time, when the group was short three starters on the offensive line.

Now 4-4 with middle linebacker Deion Jones eligible to return later in the season, the Falcons are back to being realistic playoff contenders in the NFC. Fielding a "good enough" defense with an explosive offense is basically the recipe for success powering the top teams the NFL this year, so why can't a team with Grady Jarrett, Desmond Trufant and Takk McKinley follow that model?

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

16 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

The Falcons' defense doesn't need to be great. It just needs to be passable, to allow the team's top-five offense do the rest. It's possible that Atlanta coach Dan Quinn self-scouted well during the team's bye week and came up with some solutions to mitigate the defensive damage, which translated to just 14 points allowed in Washington. It's also possible Atlanta simply ran into an anemic Redskins offense at precisely the right time, when the group was short three starters on the offensive line.

Now 4-4 with middle linebacker Deion Jones eligible to return later in the season, the Falcons are back to being realistic playoff contenders in the NFC. Fielding a "good enough" defense with an explosive offense is basically the recipe for success powering the top teams the NFL this year, so why can't a team with Grady Jarrett, Damontae Kazee and Takk McKinley follow that model?

FIXED

Edited by FalconBlood

11 minutes ago, run_vick_run said:

Deion later in the season means he plays vs the cowboys?

If he’s ready to go for that game then yes, That’s the first game he can come back. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold him out of that game or he only gets limited snaps. I’m sure he’ll be back in full for the saints game.

PokerSteve and RING OF HONOR like this

12 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Now 4-4 with middle linebacker Deion Jones eligible to return later in the season, the Falcons are back to being realistic playoff contenders in the NFC. Fielding a "good enough" defense with an explosive offense is basically the recipe for success powering the top teams the NFL this year, so why can't a team with Grady Jarrett, Desmond Trufant and Takk McKinley follow that model?

Trufant?  This guy obviously doesn't watch any Falcons games.  Trufant doesn't tackle, he can't catch and he's iffy on coverage.  An overpaid buster.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

You obviously don’t watch any games. 

You obviously don't watch any games--or just have a Trufant agenda.  It's apparent anyone who is defending Trufant at this point is a Trufant lover. That would be YOU! 

3 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

You obviously don't watch any games--or just have a Trufant agenda.  It's apparent anyone who is defending Trufant at this point is a Trufant lover. That would be YOU! 

LOL, then Show me where I’m “defending” him then. 

I’ve been critical of trufant’s play this year, but he blanketed skins receivers last game. Fact remains he’s been our best coverage corner..which admittedly isn’t saying much, but still ....you keep being you...

26 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL, then Show me where I’m ‘defending him then. 

I’ve been critical of trufant’s play this year, but he blanketed skins receivers last game. Fact remains he’s been our best coverage corner..which admittedly isn’t saying much, but still ....you keep being you...

You just did.  He's our best cover corner and that's not saying much of anything. Lets you know how bad the corners are overall.  Ima keep being me buddy...always.

3 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

You just did.  He's our best cover corner and that's not saying much of anything. Lets you know how bad the corners are overall.  Ima keep being me buddy...always.

Didn’t I just say that pretty much verbatim? So now with nothing to add, you’ve gone into parrot mode, LOL. 

Yes sir, you just keep being you....and watch the games before posting crapola next time. 

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

13 minutes ago, Jesus said:

NFL stats are weird. The Falcons are 30th in Defensive DVOA but the Bills? are #2. 

Just keep winning.

I think I can explain this.

The Bills just lost a game 41-9 in which their defense gave up 190 total yards and 11 first downs. The Bears scored two defensive TDs and started 6 other drives on the right side of the 50 yard line.

The Bills QBs have combined for 16 INTs and 33 sacks, but only 3 TDs.

That pretty much covers it.

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Didn’t I lost say that pretty much verbatim? So now with nothing to add, you’ve gone into parrot mode, LOL. 

Yes sir, you just keep being you....and watch the games before posting crapola next time. 

My point is why did you even take the time to reply if you thought Trufant's play is bad?  Wishy-Washy!  Hold to your guns.  Trufant ain't blanketing anyone.

19 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think I can explain this.

The Bills just lost a game 41-9 in which their defense gave up 190 total yards and 11 first downs. The Bears scored two defensive TDs and started 6 other drives on the right side of the 50 yard line.

The Bills QBs have combined for 16 INTs and 33 sacks, but only 3 TDs.

That pretty much covers it.

Yea, if they had say Kaepernick, they might be in the wildcard hunt. Tyrod did that for them.

Nathan Peterman is enough to win the case for Kaep. 

2 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

My point is why did you even take the time to reply if you thought Trufant's play is bad?  Wishy-Washy!  Hold to your guns.  Trufant ain't blanketing anyone.

Huh? Are you drunk or what? I clearly took exception to what you said on his coverage, even highlighted it for you. He’s been decent in coverage, with one of his better games against skins. 

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Are you drunk or what? I took exception to what you said, even highlighted it for you. He’s been decent in coverage, with one of his better games against skins. 

The Redskins have a really awful and injured Wide Receiver group.  He did perform his coverage tasks well enough.  It was other elements of his game that were very off putting to people who like to see players play hard.

PokerSteve likes this

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Redskins have a really awful and injured Wide Receiver group.  He did perform is coverage tasks well enough.  It was other elements of his game that were very off putting to people who like to see players play hard.

Which is what I clearly said. His overall coverage has been okay, his tacking has been atrocious. 

More than anything, Folks in here are frustrated that he can’t catch a cold. But that doesn’t translate to his coverage skills. 

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Which is what I clearly said. His overall coverage has been okay, his tacking has been atrocious. 

More than anything, Folks in here are frustrated that he can’t catch a cold. But that doesn’t translate to his coverage skills. 

The dropped INT didn't bother me, that wasn't an effort play.  I am sure he wanted to catch that ball.  I am sure he wasn't scared of it like he was of Adrian Peterson lol.

PokerSteve and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The dropped INT didn't bother me, that wasn't an effort play.  I am sure he wanted to catch that ball.  I am sure he wasn't scared of it like he was of Adrian Peterson lol.

You ever watch Deion try to tackle someone?

It may not have bothered you Peyton, but dropping catchable Int’s is the #1 reason we are having daily Trufant threads in here. 

11 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You ever watch Deion try to tackle someone?

It may not have bothered you Peyton, but dropping catchable Int’s is the #1 reason we are having daily Trufant threads in here. 

Trufant isn't good enough to pretend he's Deion Sanders though, but I hear ya.

PokerSteve likes this