Why Does ....

caponine

Disagree about him not wanting to. I stated this the other day and will say it again, peeps got spoiled by guys like Weems and Hester. Even Hester had his moments where he fair catched a lot of punts. The only time a player should take off is if there is a big enough window to where you can get more than 5 yards. Is it truly worth it to a player to return a ball for minimum yards??

End of the day, the point is to protect the ball and keep respectful field position. Sometimes you let it bounce hoping for that lucky bounce back or into the endzone but sometimes you get that unlucky bounce. That's something you don't control. Put yourself in the position where you have to stand in one spot watching the ball and gunners shooting at you and you have to make a decision to get murdered or just play it safe

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Disagree about him not wanting to. I stated this the other day and will say it again, peeps got spoiled by guys like Weems and Hester. Even Hester had his moments where he fair catched a lot of punts. The only time a player should take off is if there is a big enough window to where you can get more than 5 yards. Is it truly worth it to a player to return a ball for minimum yards??

End of the day, the point is to protect the ball and keep respectful field position. Sometimes you let it bounce hoping for that lucky bounce back or into the endzone but sometimes you get that unlucky bounce. That's something you don't control. Put yourself in the position where you have to stand in one spot watching the ball and gunners shooting at you and you have to make a decision to get murdered or just play it safe

i can agree with that but in important games on crucial drives i’d much rather start at the 35 rather than the 5 or 10.

1 minute ago, caponine said:

there’s gonna be games where field position is crucial. Are you sure you’re fine with that ?

I get your point, but I don't worry about things that might happen. I'm talking about things that are happening.  

And right now this offense is driving 75, 80 and more yards and scoring TDs. 

Just now, caponine said:

i can agree with that but in important games on crucial drives i’d much rather start at the 35 rather than the 5 or 10.

But you have to factor in every single aspect involved, especially hang time. It's fully on the punter to put you in position to return the ball or not. If the ball is in the air to long, Deion Sanders isn't even returning punts. You also have to factor in the speed of these players these days on special teams.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

Whilst I would prefer Hall returning punts.

Tell me which of today's punts would have been better off not fair catching.

There was one where he had some room but the punt had actually been really high. It's hard for a punt returner to guage how well the gunners have been blocked while tracking the ball.  Couldn't blame him.

Hardy is just doing what he has been instructed to do, protect the ball.  That seems obvious.

2 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I get your point, but I don't worry about things that might happen. I'm talking about things that are happening.  

And right now this offense is driving 75, 80 and more yards and scoring TDs. 

i can see your point , i just wanna see some electric punt returns honestly thats an area we have definitely been lacking in

7 minutes ago, Peyton said:

There was one where he had some room but the punt had actually been really high. It's hard for a punt returner to guage how well the gunners have been blocked while tracking the ball.  Couldn't blame him.

Hardy is just doing what he has been instructed to do, protect the ball.  That seems obvious.

Yeah I agree. It’s one thing if a guy has more than a second to be able to actually make a realistic move. But when you know you aren’t going to have time, what’s the point?

2 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

I’m just glad he has sure hands. I dont care too much for the punting game anymore.

I do love the first punt though hardy in the shade ball lands no where near him. im a hardy fan as a possession wr in the redzone but as far as a pr he is just ok

3 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

I’m just glad he has sure hands. I dont care too much for the punting game anymore.

That’s the most important thing. Remember when harry ignored instructions, caught a bouncer, took off and turned the ball over. You don’t want that. 

Even hester himself called fair catch and had moments where he was obsolete in the return game. 

Here are stills of each punt paused at the point of catch or in the case of the first punt when the ball hit the ground and on the right you can see the down and what the outcome was.

#1 Ok this was weird, went right over his head into the middle of the field and bounced deeper

ufrG5dU.jpg

#2 Ran it out but only got 4 yards, Hall might have been able to get a bit more

TkxYU5R.jpg

#3 Player in his face as he fair catches

ZeiMiDq.jpg

#4 Definitely could have tried to make a play here instead of taking the fair catch

MLadvOR.jpg

#5 Player in his face as he fair catches

0zsWWZY.jpg

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

Here are stills of each punt paused at the point of catch or in the case of the first punt when the ball hit the ground and on the right you can see the down and what the outcome was.

#1 Ok this was weird, went right over his head into the middle of the field and bounced deeper

ufrG5dU.jpg

#2 Ran it out but only got 4 yards, Hall might have been able to get a bit more

TkxYU5R.jpg

#3 Player in his face as he fair catches

ZeiMiDq.jpg

#4 Definitely could have tried to make a play here instead of taking the fair catch

MLadvOR.jpg

#5 Player in his face as he fair catches

0zsWWZY.jpg

#4, was the one i was talking about. Thats the one and I didnt know what went on with #1. 

31 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

But you have to factor in every single aspect involved, especially hang time. It's fully on the punter to put you in position to return the ball or not. If the ball is in the air to long, Deion Sanders isn't even returning punts. You also have to factor in the speed of these players these days on special teams.

While i agree, most punt returners are shifty and can make something happen. I can understand if a guy is in your face but if he’s not then lets give it a try but i agree with your point

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

While i agree, most punt returners are shifty and can make something happen. I can understand if a guy is in your face but if he’s not then lets give it a try but i agree with your point

Most punt returners who are fielding punts are also track stars lol. If you have the time, only to kinda put the theory to test yourself, go and watch some of the best returners of todays NFL and compare the amount of time they have to make moves, amount of hang time, etc.... One thing to keep in mind that every situation's gonna be different.