Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Per PFF, Oluokun among hottest LBers

33 posts in this topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/05/pff-falcons-rookie-foye-oluokun-grading-among-top-5-lbs-since-week-7/amp/ 

I think the emergence of him is scratching that 3rd LB off our needs list. Fits Quinn's defense like a glove. Of course he would struggle to start the season. He is an Ivy League Rookie who hasn't played LB for very long. He is learning the speed of the NFL, and I think now he knows the scheme and is just executing and running wild. He, DeBo, and Campbell are our 3 stud LBs of the future. His emergence reminds me of Malcolm Smith under Quinn on the SB run. Dude balled out and even outplayed Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright in that playoff run. Duke has showed  improvements, and will be a solid reserve LB for the future. I think this year could be a blessing in disguise. With all the leaders we lost on defense, of course we would look like dookie for a while(no pun intended). Now our young guys and reserves are getting valuable experience that they would not get otherwise. This year is strengthening our depth. We are hitting on all cylinders at the right time, and will make for not only and exciting conclusion to 2018, but add to the hype surrounding a healthy 2019 squad. 

This might be most impressive... Based on his whole 2018, he is the 40th ranked LB overall. That's very impressive for a rookie from Yale. That means he's averaging to be the 2nd best LB on most teams in the NFL. This season is starting to show its bright side, and showing the true fight of this team and coaching staff. I'm starting to feel something special about this season. And of course we get DeBo back in 2 weeks, hopefully on a 4 game win streak and could add JUST the juice we needed to take this defense to even ANOTHER level of improvement than we have shown the past 2 games. 

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Thank Dan Quinn the guy has done it from the jump let's his rookies take there lumps in the long run it's better for the team.

Coach Ulbrich is a good one aswell just about everyone he's had here at LBer has shown improvement.Hes a good coach that guy.

I'm happy we have Brich, but its a shame he hasn't gotten DC looks from another team. It's probably just a matter of time though. For the sake of the team, I hope he gets those looks after Manuel gets HC looks, that way we can just promote him if we ever lose Manuel. 

And to tour point of Quinn letting the rookies learn, it truly shows the confidence Quinn has in his philosophy of developing players. Like how he started Oliver this week, and has been increasing his PT week by week. He truly is arguably the best eye and developer for talent in the NFL. SUCH A NICE CHANGE OF PACE FROM COACH SMITH. Dude would pull a rookie for weeks after one mistake, that's even if the Rookie got a chance to see the field in the first place, which the latter was usually the situation in the first place. 

19 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Oluokun played very well and so did Duke but I was really impressed with Bruce Carter. there was a play where Smith hit a WR and not only did Carter have good coverage, he ran stride for stride with him. 

I agree. Carter was a good find. And Foye spent as much time in the Skins backfield as their running backs did. He probably had more yards on contact behind the LOS than AP had rushing. Bahahaha

29 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I'll wait and see on this but Quinn made the decision not to make a move at the trade deadline was he right well I think we are slowly finding out.

agreed. plus I love the fact that they made quick adjustments this game. when it seemed like Vernon Davis was about to go off, they put Bredi Wreh on him and took him way from Smith

kiwifalcon and mtldirtybird like this

5 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

Oluokun played very well and so did Duke but I was really impressed with Bruce Carter. there was a play where Smith hit a WR and not only did Carter have good coverage, he ran stride for stride with him. 

Carter was fast coming out of college, and he isnt all that old just yet(says the guy who is 4 years older than him)

raysnill1 and red falcon like this

Kudos to the coaching staff. There decision to use different linebackers based on the packages has really helped bring along the young guys. It puts less on their plate and allows them to play faster. It will be interesting to see what they do when Deion is back. Who gets the weakside snaps when Deion is back? I imagine they will rotate Duke and Foye based on packages.

red falcon likes this

48 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Are we back to liking PFF today? 

Haha. It can be useful, but you can't take everything they say as the truth. I think everyone can agree that our linebacker play has been better recently.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

meh to pff. but the eyeball test says he's cool with me

agree totally, not sold on his coverage ability but he is a good tackler and he follows his eyes and the d line very well to get to rbs

ya_boi_j likes this

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Thank Dan Quinn the guy has done it from the jump let's his rookies take there lumps in the long run it's better for the team.

Coach Ulbrich is a good one aswell just about everyone he's had here at LBer has shown improvement.Hes a good coach that guy.

We never had a good LB until Quinn arrived on the scene - Long Live the Mighty Quinn!

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Are we back to liking PFF today? 

only when it confirms what we want.   PFF has been very kind to the Falcons of late - going back to this year's NFL draft.  Looks like they were right about our draft analysis.

Drew4719 likes this

4 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

agree totally, not sold on his coverage ability but he is a good tackler and he follows his eyes and the d line very well to get to rbs

Which is great for the birds defense.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We never had a good LB until Quinn arrived on the scene - Long Live the Mighty Quinn!

we shut down reed pretty well but I was having flashback to our 12 season where our lbs let old as dirt dallas clarke run wild on us

Drew4719 and g-dawg like this

10 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/05/pff-falcons-rookie-foye-oluokun-grading-among-top-5-lbs-since-week-7/amp/ 

I think the emergence of him is scratching that 3rd LB off our needs list. Fits Quinn's defense like a glove. Of course he would struggle to start the season. He is an Ivy League Rookie who hasn't played LB for very long. He is learning the speed of the NFL, and I think now he knows the scheme and is just executing and running wild. He, DeBo, and Campbell are our 3 stud LBs of the future. His emergence reminds me of Malcolm Smith under Quinn on the SB run. Dude balled out and even outplayed Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright in that playoff run. Duke has showed  improvements, and will be a solid reserve LB for the future. I think this year could be a blessing in disguise. With all the leaders we lost on defense, of course we would look like dookie for a while(no pun intended). Now our young guys and reserves are getting valuable experience that they would not get otherwise. This year is strengthening our depth. We are hitting on all cylinders at the right time, and will make for not only and exciting conclusion to 2018, but add to the hype surrounding a healthy 2019 squad. 

LOL at this quote in the article linked above:

"Oluokun is proving to be a steal for a sixth-round pick and Thomas Dimitroff deserves a tip of the hat."

TD's crew definitely knows what Quinn is looking for and gives him probably 20-30 guys to look at - but DQ is the one picking the defenders.