Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

Is Drew Brees the NFL's best QB right now? Speak For Yourself

56 posts in this topic

He was a pro bowler in SD and only hit FA due to a shoulder injury in his throwing arm. Had he not had that injury, SD had a very tough decision on their hands with Rivers waiting for his shot.

he is a package deal just like Brady and Bellichick in NE. We can debate for ever if it is the coach or the player, but hard to say either wouldn’t be great regardless of where they played.

Brees and Ryan?  They're both hall of fame talent but Brees has a ring. 

That doesn't make him a better quarterback...but it guarantees him first ballot induction. 

Vandy likes this

Rodgers is really good until he gets hit in the mouth. Then he’s more Joey Harrington.

I will say Ryan handles getting crushed in the pocket better than any one that I can think of currently.

this Maholms (sp) is a one year wonder. Wait until they get a good book on him and he’ll come down to earth. Everyone was all over the Cowboy’s QB a few years ago, now? Nope

Brees has been a great statistical QB over the years but as we know a lot of that is 'empty calories'. How much of his stats is garbage tie when they were behind and losing and still lost? Seen that a ton from Brees. The stats haven't translated into a lot of winning when all the years are taken together. 

PokerSteve and raysnill1 like this

12 hours ago, The best NFC South team said:

Best in the division? Since their passing stats are nearly the same, I’ll just let the win-loss record decide that..

LOL. Well played, since our W-L record is a direct result of major injuries on defense and has absolutely nothing to do with Ryan. The difference between Ryan and Brees is minimal. You're just too brainwashed and full of **** to realize it.

I don't see why these arguments are necessary.  Matt Ryan is playing like a boss but Brees and his offense are just doing having an absurd year on offense.  ABSURD.

The Saints have scored on 58% of their offensive possessions.  They have 32 TDs and 17 FG attempts (16 made) in 84 possessions this year. 

The Saints have punted 19 times in half of an NFL season. Absurd!!!!!

Sorry, I have to give credit where credit is due.  I appreciate that Matt is bossing but he's not having a better year than Brees at this point.

Osiruz and saints4life25 like this

8 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Rodgers is really good until he gets hit in the mouth. Then he’s more Joey Harrington.

I will say Ryan handles getting crushed in the pocket better than any one that I can think of currently.

this Maholms (sp) is a one year wonder. Wait until they get a good book on him and he’ll come down to earth. Everyone was all over the Cowboy’s QB a few years ago, now? Nope

On the flip side many said Goff was a 1 year wonder after last year too.

i wonder how many times someone has had as good a season as Maholmes is and then flopped? I think of Derek Anderson w CLE but he wasn’t nearly as good as Maholmes has been this season.

Emmitt likes this

30 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

On the flip side many said Goff was a 1 year wonder after last year too.

i wonder how many times someone has had as good a season as Maholmes is and then flopped? I think of Derek Anderson w CLE but he wasn’t nearly as good as Maholmes has been this season.

Well there are more than a few that start fast and come back down to earth in the same season. They never make it to one year wonder status. 

I remember Winston’s first few games had a lot of people talking.

The most recent one year wonder was Dak Prescott, but you could throuse these guys in that class too: Rick Meier, Derek Anderson, Scott Mitchell, Jay Fiedler. 

PokerSteve and Godzilla1985 like this

6 hours ago, Peyton said:

I don't see why these arguments are necessary.  Matt Ryan is playing like a boss but Brees and his offense are just doing having an absurd year on offense.  ABSURD.

The Saints have scored on 58% of their offensive possessions.  They have 32 TDs and 17 FG attempts (16 made) in 84 possessions this year. 

The Saints have punted 19 times in half of an NFL season. Absurd!!!!!

Sorry, I have to give credit where credit is due.  I appreciate that Matt is bossing but he's not having a better year than Brees at this point.

Brees also has only been sacked 9 times all year. lol I wonder what the pressure rate per pass play is on him? Kamara is almost on a route every play. lol

Saints offense having a better year; mostly a function of our Eagles game missing 2 or 3 scores while we haven't had a D on the field in several games basically and a worse OL? Matt is easily right there with Brees while being asked to do more under more pressure with less of a D.

fuego and PokerSteve like this

Drew Brees is a 1st Ballot HOF QB. But we got to stop this mutha ****** 2 times every season. We gotta do it next game in New Orleans. Some how, Some Way we got to Stop Him and that Offense

54 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Brees is the lamest QB in the NFL imo. Chases records in garbage time and throws to his RBs more than his WRs. I've never thought he was nearly as 'elite' as everyone else has.

For people wondering why he’s never been touted as much as manning/Brady/Rodgers, that’s part of the reason why. Guys know that Brees is a stat hoarder who racks up garbage time numbers.

PokerSteve and fuego like this

The reason why he's so good is continuity !! Ryan is being bonced back and forth with different O# schemes.. Not good.. We seem to be doing a little better the last few weeks.. But we need to stick to one system..To help our team win a Championship. We Must find continuity !!

13 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Well then he'll be the best one-year wonder ever. Only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have thrown for 26 TDs through 8 games (when both went for 50+).

Emmitt likes this

7 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Brees is the lamest QB in the NFL imo. Chases records in garbage time and throws to his RBs more than his WRs. I've never thought he was nearly as 'elite' as everyone else has.

I think you've had a bit too much of the haterade lol.

When Brees retires in a couple of seasons, he is going to be the NFL's all time leader in completions, yards, TD passes, yards per game, and completion percentage.

His offense this season is scoring on a higher percentage of drives than any team in NFL history, and that is with 2 players accounting for about 60% of his targets.

He has hit Michael Thomas, his number 1 receiver, on 70 of 79 targets this season. That's why he is on pace to break his own completion percentage record by 4%.

I mean, there just isn't enough garbage time in the world to account for all this greatness.

Brees is the most overrated QB in history. He avg. over 180 pass attempts per year then everyone else in the NFL, 180 pass attempts breaks down to about 4 extra games a year. If everyone threw the ball as much as Brees does, 19 of the 32 starting QB's (59%) would throw for over 5000 yards per year. If Ryan threw the balll as much as Brees, he would already own half of the NFL passing records.The Saints had 2 Heisman winning RB since Brees has been QB and never had a 1000 yards rusher until last year when Brees stats dropped below his yearly PA avgs. Brees has more pass attempts then any QB in history and is like 3rd for most INT thrown. Brees has Peyton to thank for his success although Drew has to put in the work he's not the best in the league never was. Thats why he never won MVP the league knows what's up. 

nomak likes this

23 hours ago, octoslash said:

Brees and Ryan?  They're both hall of fame talent but Brees has a ring. 

That doesn't make him a better quarterback...but it guarantees him first ballot induction. 

Matt should have two already.

Answer to OP’s question is yes, Brees is best QB/league MVP over 1st half of season. But there is a 2nd half, and more importantly the playoffs still to come. A lot could change in an instant. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

8 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Well then he'll be the best one-year wonder ever. Only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have thrown for 26 TDs through 8 games (when both went for 50+).

I have no dislike for the kid, I just don't have enough games to work with to form an opinion. He has a lot of weapons. We will see how it turns out.

Edited by Emmitt
Godzilla1985 and Vandy like this

25 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

I have no dislike for the kid, I just don't have enough games to work with to form an opinion. He has a lot of weapons. We will see how it turns out.

I agree with you.  Once teams start taking away the Chiefs screen game, and that happens later in the season, we'll see how Mahomes adjust to it.

Emmitt likes this

On 11/6/2018 at 0:23 AM, Dem Birds said:

Who would you take in a completely random offense? Brees wasn't anything special before he got Sean Payton. Matt Ryan has thrived under 4 different coordinators now. Matt Ryan isn't dinking and dunking and just throwing to receivers running drag routes all day. Matt Ryan isn't behind, probably, the best offensive line in football. Matt Ryan has had a running game in basically two games this year. Matt Ryan leads the NFL in yards per game. The only reason Mahomes is ahead of him is the bye week. If you put Ryan with Payton, I think he's better. I really do. 

Drew Brees is 7th in the NFL in yards/attempt. He broke the passing record on a 62 yard TD. So how the **** is that "dinking and dunking"?

On 11/7/2018 at 5:16 AM, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Brees is the most overrated QB in history. He avg. over 180 pass attempts per year then everyone else in the NFL, 180 pass attempts breaks down to about 4 extra games a year. If everyone threw the ball as much as Brees does, 19 of the 32 starting QB's (59%) would throw for over 5000 yards per year. If Ryan threw the balll as much as Brees, he would already own half of the NFL passing records.The Saints had 2 Heisman winning RB since Brees has been QB and never had a 1000 yards rusher until last year when Brees stats dropped below his yearly PA avgs. Brees has more pass attempts then any QB in history and is like 3rd for most INT thrown. Brees has Peyton to thank for his success although Drew has to put in the work he's not the best in the league never was. Thats why he never won MVP the league knows what's up. 

Even if he is throwing the ball more (he isn't), he's also the league leader in completion %. So that nullifies your stupid *** argument when you COMPLETE that amount of your passes.

Edited by Saintdogg
FalconsIn2020 likes this

10 minutes ago, Saintdogg said:

Drew Brees is 7th in the NFL in yards/attempt. He broke the passing record on a 62 yard TD. So how the **** is that "dinking and dunking"?

One play doesn’t change the facts.

Brees is king of the garbage time stats. 

3 minutes ago, fuego said:

One play doesn’t change the facts.

Brees is king of the garbage time stats. 

Did you not read the part about 7th in yards/attempt? Brain cells missing or not working or what?

On 11/5/2018 at 10:56 PM, The best NFC South team said:

Best in the division? Since their passing stats are nearly the same, I’ll just let the win-loss record decide that..

Contrary to popular belief wins and losses are a team stat.