Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

How well do we match up with the Browns?

57 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, falcndave said:

If they use Duke Johnson like they did last week, he will light us up a bit. It will be similar to Kamara, Gio, Barber, etc. As Washington had no pass catching back, they turned to Harris in C. Thompson's route tree and he had one of the better days of anyone on that team.

Duke Johnson is the type of receiving back we have failed against all season. This will be a great chance to see if the LBs and Safeties are really getting better, or if there have just been a couple of opponents that got behind early and let game script get away from them (Giants and Washington). 

Huge if. They have ignorantly barely used him all season long. They have truly wasted his talents

Drew4719 likes this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

Duke Johnson will be the X factor. If they use him correctly, they will move the ball. 

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

If they use Duke Johnson like they did last week, he will light us up a bit. It will be similar to Kamara, Gio, Barber, etc. As Washington had no pass catching back, they turned to Harris in C. Thompson's route tree and he had one of the better days of anyone on that team.

Duke Johnson is the type of receiving back we have failed against all season. This will be a great chance to see if the LBs and Safeties are really getting better, or if there have just been a couple of opponents that got behind early and let game script get away from them (Giants and Washington). 

Unfortunately for us, the coaching staff seems to be very willing to actually throw to Duke after Jackson and Haley were fired.

That said, I still don't think Chubb and Duke alone will be enough for them to consistently move the ball and score points.  As long as the defense plays like they have the past couple of games, I have confidence the offense can get it done on the road.

I think the game could be closer than some people think given just how good the Browns defense is, but I'm expecting a win ... maybe something like Atlanta 30, Cleveland 20.

falcndave likes this

43 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Unfortunately for us, the coaching staff seems to be very willing to actually throw to Duke after Jackson and Haley were fired.

That said, I still don't think Chubb and Duke alone will be enough for them to consistently move the ball and score points.  As long as the defense plays like they have the past couple of games, I have confidence the offense can get it done on the road.

I think the game could be closer than some people think given just how good the Browns defense is, but I'm expecting a win ... maybe something like Atlanta 30, Cleveland 20.

The Cleveland defense started the season strong, and it's true some of their numbers are warped because of the number of possessions some of their games have had. But the truth is that in the last 6 games, the defense just isn't playing well.

31.33 PPG allowed

27 first downs per game allowed

467 yards average allowed

313 yards passing average allowed

154 yards rushing average allowed

I mean, they just aren't playing well.

Looked at the footage of the KC game and Mahones had 3 guys wide open on just about every play.  That defense is a mess right now, regardless of how much talent they have.

I can't see the Falcons facing much resistance from this defense, not if they are focused, and I think they will be.

36 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Cleveland defense started the season strong, and it's true some of their numbers are warped because of the number of possessions some of their games have had. But the truth is that in the last 6 games, the defense just isn't playing well.

31.33 PPG allowed

27 first downs per game allowed

467 yards average allowed

313 yards passing average allowed

154 yards rushing average allowed

I mean, they just aren't playing well.

Looked at the footage of the KC game and Mahones had 3 guys wide open on just about every play.  That defense is a mess right now, regardless of how much talent they have.

I can't see the Falcons facing much resistance from this defense, not if they are focused, and I think they will be.

Yea but the stats from our defense isnt good either

15 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Yea but the stats from our defense isnt good either

It's true.  The Falcons defense is trending in the right direction though.  41>29>20>14.

I think the Falcons secondary is still a bit of a mess, but the D line is playing great and the LBs are coming around for sure.  Mayfield will find some plays for sure but I don't think he will keep up with Ryan at all.

19 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That would doom the Falcons defense. I dare anyone to say otherwise with a straight face

It could be a saving grace that we are talking about the Cleveland Browns offense executing those plays though.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It could be a saving grace that we are talking about the Cleveland Browns offense executing those plays though.

Any given week is all I’ll say. 

6 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Huge if. They have ignorantly barely used him all season long. They have truly wasted his talents

Agreed. I'm a DFS guy and he may well fall into the camp of "bad chalk" based on the most recent data point. The shake up in the staff could mean a process change, in which old trends would be useless information. Will be fun to find out. 

ya_boi_j and Vandy like this

4 hours ago, virginiafalcon said:

Grady Jarrett is playing like a legit "eliete" DT in my book. He is approaching "dominance in any match-up" territory. 

*their secondary isn't very good. but, their Dline is good at affecting the QB.

*Mayfield is good enough at this point to keep the chains moving on our defense but, the question is, will the coaches let him or will they play it conservative.

This game is going to be a different animal than the skins game all together. Our guys need to show up ready to get punched in the face, because they will be. This game will be a big challenge.

5 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

*their secondary isn't very good. but, their Dline is good at affecting the QB.

*Mayfield is good enough at this point to keep the chains moving on our defense but, the question is, will the coaches let him or will they play it conservative.

This game is going to be a different animal than the skins game all together. Our guys need to show up ready to get punched in the face, because they will be. This game will be a big challenge.

Top 3 in interceptions. Their secondary is good along with the rest of the defense. Their problem is that’s where all of there injuries are hitting 

The O.D.B likes this

Any updates on Ward? He’s looked like the real deal so far this season. I wanna see him against Julio. Definitely has the speed to keep up with him but I doubt he’s strong enough. 

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Top 3 in interceptions. Their secondary is good along with the rest of the defense. Their problem is that’s where all of there injuries are hitting 

I'm not familiar with their injuries thought, I've been keeping an eye on them (because I believe Baker is the real deal) and they may not beat many teams this year but they are a threat to all but those playing consistently at a high level,

Now that they have a real QB, They are a few pieces and a good coach away from being a good team, one that can challenge Bmore and Pitt.

13 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Nobody should blow out anyone in the NFL. This isn't college football. 

What it always comes down to is how well each team executes their game plan and how well each team is able to make adjustments. Yes, we have great skill players that will keep DCs up late a night devising schemes to slow them down. Doesn't mean jack if the line doesn't block well. Our defense was decimated, but they've been getting better because the execution has been better.

Anyway, the Browns defense has not looked good lately. Granted, stopping the Steelers and Chief's offenses in consecutive weeks is a tall order for any defense. Mayfield is good enough to make things interesting so the defense has got to get pressure on him.

The Browns get blown out all the time.

2 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

I'm not familiar with their injuries thought, I've been keeping an eye on them (because I believe Baker is the real deal) and they may not beat many teams this year but they are a threat to all but those playing consistently at a high level,

Now that they have a real QB, They are a few pieces and a good coach away from being a good team, one that can challenge Bmore and Pitt.

The smart fans could probably run the organization better than they are run now. With that said they've always had our number. But I think we win this one.

I think we need to build off of what we did this week where running the ball becomes a priority for this game and every game moving foward.

If we do the above no doubt we'll carve them up.

Defensively we look a lot sharper aswell that starts against the run also.

Vandy likes this

5 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

Their secondary is hurting as bad as the falcons secondary. Ward got hurt last week. It’s like one of there secondary guys gets hurt every week. 

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don’t trust AFC North teams worth a dam. Baker Mayfield either. With that said, there are three reasons we should win this game. Mo Men Tum. I expect an ugly win.

That's about where I'm at. It all depends on their secondary health though, if they're still banged up, the offense should eat. If they are all healthy now it should be a close one. Not a blowout everyone expects. Remember a few years ago when Gordon made his return and everyone was expecting a blowout and look what happen

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

On 11/6/2018 at 0:27 AM, Atlantafan21 said:

Their d-line and front 7 in general can and likely will cause problems. There's a lot of good talent up front from them, headline by Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi, and Jaime Collins, Schobert, and Kirksey are all solid at LB. Fortunately for us, the LBs are pretty dang hurt. Their CBs aren't great, and their safeties aren't much better. If Matt has time, he should be able to carve them up. Defensively, our defense should be fine if they continue playing how they've been the past 2 weeks, as the Browns offense isn't very good, and they have no run game to help Mayfield. A lot of young receivers, but the only real threats are Jarvis Landry, David Njoku to a lesser extent, and Duke Johnson out of the backfield. Should be a comfortable win, but you never know, especially with this team. Definitely not taking this game lightly. 

Fair analysis.

Browns have better run game than we do, and Chubb is just starting to find his way.

Callaway is immature, but potentially one of the better young WRers I’ve seen. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 0:27 AM, Atlantafan21 said:

Their d-line and front 7 in general can and likely will cause problems. There's a lot of good talent up front from them, headline by Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi, and Jaime Collins, Schobert, and Kirksey are all solid at LB. Fortunately for us, the LBs are pretty dang hurt. Their CBs aren't great, and their safeties aren't much better. If Matt has time, he should be able to carve them up. Defensively, our defense should be fine if they continue playing how they've been the past 2 weeks, as the Browns offense isn't very good, and they have no run game to help Mayfield. A lot of young receivers, but the only real threats are Jarvis Landry, David Njoku to a lesser extent, and Duke Johnson out of the backfield. Should be a comfortable win, but you never know, especially with this team. Definitely not taking this game lightly. 

Disagree that their offense isn't very good. They have ALOT of talent on that offense but they aren't being used properly. For example, you say Duke out of the backfield, they've barely used him this year. Last week was the first time their running backs crossed 20 carries as a unit if my memory is right. If not, I know they have barely used their running backs. Their biggest problem has been trying to force Mayfield to pass wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. They have to figure out what they want their offensive identity to be. Once they figure it out, that offense has huge potential to be successful.

They don’t but Cleveland’s game plan throw it to Trufant’s side either the WR catches it or Tru drops it safe play either way.