Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falcons Fan MVP

How well do we match up with the Browns?

57 posts in this topic

How well do you guys expect us to play against the Browns? I expect our offense to score more than 30 points in this game. I think the Falcons will probably win 31-17 or so. I don't think the Browns defense can stop our offense as long as our o line does a decent job. I think our D will do fine against an inexperienced QB. What do you guys think?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your question is more applicable if worded how do the Browns match up with us. The answer you seek is simple at that point. They don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta take advantage of that banged up secondary. This will be a good test for the offensive line. Matthews will definitely earn his game check facing Garrett. 

Their offensive line is *** cheeks without Thomas and Mack. They don’t use their playmakers much at all. They still have to find their place on offense. Gotta take advantage of that. 

With the falcons luck this would be Mayfields big game. He’s an interception machine though, although some aren’t his fault at all, so hopefully the secondary eats. 

TheFatboi, Vandy and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Gotta take advantage of that banged up secondary. This will be a good test for the offensive line. Matthews will definitely earn his game check facing Garrett. 

Their offensive line is *** cheeks without Thomas and Mack. They don’t use their playmakers much at all. They still have to find their place on offense. Gotta take advantage of that. 

With the falcons luck this would be Mayfields big game. He’s an interception machine though, although some aren’t his fault at all, so hopefully the secondary eats. 

But we got Tru.... who can't catch a candy

robertap and Krosis like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Gotta take advantage of that banged up secondary. This will be a good test for the offensive line. Matthews will definitely earn his game check facing Garrett. 

Their offensive line is *** cheeks without Thomas and Mack. They don’t use their playmakers much at all. They still have to find their place on offense. Gotta take advantage of that. 

With the falcons luck this would be Mayfields big game. He’s an interception machine though, although some aren’t his fault at all, so hopefully the secondary eats. 

Sounds like we SHOULD blow them out. Key word being should.

CaliFalcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their d-line and front 7 in general can and likely will cause problems. There's a lot of good talent up front from them, headline by Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi, and Jaime Collins, Schobert, and Kirksey are all solid at LB. Fortunately for us, the LBs are pretty dang hurt. Their CBs aren't great, and their safeties aren't much better. If Matt has time, he should be able to carve them up. Defensively, our defense should be fine if they continue playing how they've been the past 2 weeks, as the Browns offense isn't very good, and they have no run game to help Mayfield. A lot of young receivers, but the only real threats are Jarvis Landry, David Njoku to a lesser extent, and Duke Johnson out of the backfield. Should be a comfortable win, but you never know, especially with this team. Definitely not taking this game lightly. 

ratesforless likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns are a hurtin' team. I'm not sure if their best CB is out too. I saw he got injured this weekend and didn't return. I doubt They fare any better than the Redskins. Should be a blowout, and these are the types of teams we should have no problem doing whatever we want. 500+ yards coming this weekend. Just hope the snow continues to hold off until we are out of town.

Falcon Blitz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically very good match up for us. Historically horrible match up for us. 

This is a mega trap game for us coming off a huge dominant statement win in Washington, and we are 3-11 all time against the Browns.

We have also lost 8 of our last 9 AFC games and we have been horrible against the spread against AFC teams in the Dan Quinn era, and it even goes far back to 2013 when we still had Mike Smith. 

The Browns may be struggling now, but they've given teams close games. They almost won in New Orleans with Tyrod Taylor starting and they tied the Steelers to open the year. 

I think the biggest and most important stat of this game is the Browns being one of the league leaders in turnover ratio this year. If the Falcons do NOT turn the ball over and we get ours, then we have this game period. 

Emmitt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Realistically very good match up for us. Historically horrible match up for us. 

This is a mega trap game for us coming off a huge dominant statement win in Washington, and we are 3-11 all time against the Browns.

We have also lost 8 of our last 9 AFC games and we have been horrible against the spread against AFC teams in the Dan Quinn era, and it even goes far back to 2013 when we still had Mike Smith. 

The Browns may be struggling now, but they've given teams close games. They almost won in New Orleans with Tyrod Taylor starting and they tied the Steelers to open the year. 

I think the biggest and most important stat of this game is the Browns being one of the league leaders in turnover ratio this year. If the Falcons do NOT turn the ball over and we get ours, then we have this game period. 

An all time record is meaningless.  How many of those games came with players and coaches who are still on the rosters?

last time we played them was four years ago.  Mike smith was our coach.   We have at a quick scan a total of nine players in common with that team.   assuredly less than that in 2010.  Those previous games have no meaning to this coming one.

 

and we aren’t playing “afc teams” we are playing the 2018 Browns.

BirdFan33 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chifalc said:

An all time record is meaningless.  How many of those games came with players and coaches who are still on the rosters?

 

last time we played them was four years ago.  Mike smith was our coach.   We have at a quick scan a total of nine players in common with that team.   assuredly less than that in 2010.  Those previous games have no meaning to this coming one.

Even without our all time 3-11 record against the Browns, Dan Quinn his whole tenure and the Falcons for the past 6 seasons have struggled against AFC teams. We're better against the AFC on the road, but covering the spread and since the Chargers in 2016, we've been horrible against the AFC. This game against the Browns next week is like our Dolphins/Bills or Chargers of this year. I have to see us on the field to believe we'll finally overcome this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqg96 said:

Even without our all time 3-11 record against the Browns, Dan Quinn his whole tenure and the Falcons for the past 6 seasons have struggled against AFC teams. We're better against the AFC on the road, but covering the spread and since the Chargers in 2016, we've been horrible against the AFC. This game against the Browns next week is like our Dolphins/Bills or Chargers or this year. I have to see us on the field to believe we'll finally overcome this issue. 

We aren’t playing ‘afc teams’ which is meaningless as a generic category.  We are playing the 2018 Cleveland Browns.  No one else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chifalc said:

We aren’t playing ‘afc teams’ which is meaningless as a generic category.  We are playing the 2018 Cleveland Browns.  No one else.

and we were supposed to dominate the Bills and Dolphins last year after our 3-0 start right? 

get outta here, I'm playing it safe and taking it one week at a time with this year's Falcons team

I'm not gonna let our dominant win over the Redskins fool me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

and we were supposed to dominate the Bills and Dolphins last year after our 3-0 start right? 

get outta here, I'm playing it safe and taking it one week at a time with this year's Falcons team

I'm not gonna let our dominant win over the Redskins fool me. 

Seriously, how many players and coaches do the 2018 Browns have in common with the 2017 Bills and Dolphins?  If you want to try to talk about matchup issues with the Browns, fair game, but all of these other things you mention really are irrelevant in context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

How well do you guys expect us to play against the Browns? I expect our offense to score more than 30 points in this game. I think the Falcons will probably win 31-17 or so. I don't think the Browns defense can stop our offense as long as our o line does a decent job. I think our D will do fine against an inexperienced QB. What do you guys think?

If the Falcons offense avoids mistakes, the Browns won't stop the Falcons.  I was watching the extended highlights of the Chiefs game and the Browns couldn't stop screens at all, and on the pass plays down the field pretty much every receiver was open on every play.  They aren't a good unit right now at all.

Emmitt and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Sounds like we SHOULD blow them out. Key word being should.

Nobody should blow out anyone in the NFL. This isn't college football. 

What it always comes down to is how well each team executes their game plan and how well each team is able to make adjustments. Yes, we have great skill players that will keep DCs up late a night devising schemes to slow them down. Doesn't mean jack if the line doesn't block well. Our defense was decimated, but they've been getting better because the execution has been better.

Anyway, the Browns defense has not looked good lately. Granted, stopping the Steelers and Chief's offenses in consecutive weeks is a tall order for any defense. Mayfield is good enough to make things interesting so the defense has got to get pressure on him.

ya_boi_j and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Falcons offense will roll but the Browns offense might too.  The defense was great against the run at Washington but the Redskins still had guys open all over the field in the passing game.  Either the pressure flushed Smith or the threw off target or in several cases the receivers just dropped the ball.

The most work the Falcons have to still do is in tightening up pass coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be one of the better defensive fronts the Falcons have faced. I wouldn't be surprised if the O-line struggles and Ryan is sacked 4+ times this game, which causes the offense to struggle (think Steelers game). Could be a close one if that happens. If the O-line can protect though the Falcons should win by double digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

This will be one of the better defensive fronts the Falcons have faced. I wouldn't be surprised if the O-line struggles and Ryan is sacked 4+ times this game, which causes the offense to struggle (think Steelers game). Could be a close one if that happens. If the O-line can protect though the Falcons should win by double digits.

Kerrigan, Payne, Allen and the dude I refuse to try and spell his name is a pretty solid front as well. Garrett will need to be chipped and constantly given attention but outside of him their interior D-Line is very weak. Redskins front scared me more than the Browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons offense will roll but the Browns offense might too.  The defense was great against the run at Washington but the Redskins still had guys open all over the field in the passing game.  Either the pressure flushed Smith or the threw off target or in several cases the receivers just dropped the ball.

The most work the Falcons have to still do is in tightening up pass coverage.

Middle of the field still wide open for receivers against.

Either the CBs are playing too far off or if the scheme falls for that the LBs aren't dropping deep enough in coverage because they are worried about the checkdown.

Down the sideline the Redskins WRs made multiple tough catches whereour DBs were there with a hand on the ball or in the WR face.

Gotta get the middle of the field shored up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Kerrigan, Payne, Allen and the dude I refuse to try and spell his name is a pretty solid front as well. Garrett will need to be chipped and constantly given attention but outside of him their interior D-Line is very weak. Redskins front scared me more than the Browns.

I agree, garret is a terror on passing downs, but he hasn’t been a good run defender. We can run the ball on this team if we keep blocking like last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they use Duke Johnson like they did last week, he will light us up a bit. It will be similar to Kamara, Gio, Barber, etc. As Washington had no pass catching back, they turned to Harris in C. Thompson's route tree and he had one of the better days of anyone on that team.

Duke Johnson is the type of receiving back we have failed against all season. This will be a great chance to see if the LBs and Safeties are really getting better, or if there have just been a couple of opponents that got behind early and let game script get away from them (Giants and Washington). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all comes down to o-line play again. If they play like they did against Carolina and Washington we will destroy them. If they play like they have the other six games, it will be a close one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites