Carter

2018 SEC Championship - #1 Alabama vs #4 Georgia

1,474 posts in this topic

SEC officiating is about the worst. Big Ten officiating is pretty bad too. Both leagues protect their front runners. Ohio State is notorious for getting the benefit of bs calls or no calls.

The officiating crew from the national title game last year was a Big Ten crew if I’m not mistaken. I remember reading a Michigan thread about it and they were not surprised which made me even more mad at the time.

It’s borderline corruption. And I imagine if UGA continues its current trajectory, wins a national title and then continues contending... we will start seeing fans complain about how we get the calls. Used to happen with Florida really blatantly, happens now with Bama. Don’t see why it wouldn’t.

I haven’t complained really about the officiating in the game because I think UGA had opportunities to win the game in spite of it and we just failed. It has annoyed me for years though that we don’t have fair or even competent officiating in the SEC. I’ve seen Auburn fans go ballistic about it, but not during their Cam season when Fairley got away with all the crap he did. I always go back to that LSU/UGA game where AJ Green got flagged after scoring the go ahead touchdown at the end of the game because he pointed up. 15 yards assessed on the kickoff, LSU got the ball at midfield and scored like 3 plays later to win the game. Just ridiculous.

sdogg and Billy Ocean like this

Reading all of y'alls posts I completely understand the frustration. 

I remember Fl and particularly the Tebow years when I felt they got every single call. I remember the call against Rolando McClain in SECG we lost to them that was horrible. 

That feeling doesn't go away. The only thing that makes it go away is winning. We have gone on a run, which won't last forever, then it will be someone's else's turn.

I grew up a Bulldog fan, if not Bama, I hope it is GA.

With that being said, I still stand by my statement earlier. Your coaches let your players and fans down because they didn't adjust to Hurts, 4 and 11, and quit giving Swift the ball. 

g-dawg likes this

5 hours ago, Carter said:

Bama had 3 penalties assessed for 10 yards.

UGA had 6 penalties for 50 yards.

So not that far off! 5 times as many

It was a bad decision fake punt w fields as punt safe maybe made it the dumbest move ever , but **** the d should’ve stopped em earlier either way it’s over - if nothing else it showed we r better than I thought we were, will be a lot of pressure next year to imo win it all and we should have a good shot but- CLEMSON and bama will be tough to beat, Laurence looks like the next Peyton but maybe better... 

16 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I’ll be the one to say I would’ve traded Fields for Laurence a million times over 

Last year's recruiting class doesn't happen the way it did with Lawrence. He's a good QB, but did not have any significant pull with other recruits. We gave Lawrence our pitch and he chose Clemson... Then we went full bore with Fields. Glad we've got him, hoping he advances the mental part of the game bigly this offseason. His tendency to tuck if his first or second read isn't there/comfortable is not going to help him see the field, so that's gotta get broken this year IMO.

Carter likes this

16 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

It was a bad decision fake punt w fields as punt safe maybe made it the dumbest move ever , but **** the d should’ve stopped em earlier either way it’s over - if nothing else it showed we r better than I thought we were, will be a lot of pressure next year to imo win it all and we should have a good shot but- CLEMSON and bama will be tough to beat, Laurence looks like the next Peyton but maybe better... 

Other than the fake punt/missed field goal and bad coaching down the stretch, I lay more of the blame on offensive side of the ball.   To go Ofer the last 25 minutes with no scoring is unacceptable.

The defense did enough overall to win that game.  I said before game started that Dawgs would need to score 38 to win - and we should have been able to do that easily.

Wardog357 likes this

the fact that 290 plays have happened between uga and bama the last 2 games and bama has led for just 9 of them and yet we still lost both of them.. that just soo angers me. 

18 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

You and others like you - still have no grasp on what Fields is going to be at this level.   While I cannot prove it, I believe I know a little more because I have watched him for three years.

Fields is gonna be special.  He will play in the NFL - he’s a cross between DeShaun Watson & Cam Newton.   I have seen half the Georgia fan base basically give up on the kid when he really hasn’t even had a legit at-bat other than the UMass game where he showed out.   Fields may not get his opportunity in Athens and, if he has to leave, I won’t like it but will understand it.

The kid is special and he will be a Heisman contender by his 2nd year as starter- wherever he plays.

Maybe he will be, but I was simply saying on a fake but to put in fields as the punt safe guy was a little too suspicious given the magnitude of the play- and he may be great, and may win the heisman but so will Laurence. He’ll win the heisman and at least 1 title while at cu. hope I’m wrong but if u don’t see that your just bias to fields. 

Certainly not giving up on him I would’ve loved to have seen him play most 2nd half’s this year like saban did w tua last year to get him spun up and def against LSU- but just saying my opinion  from what I see from Laurence I’d have taken that trade- 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

As soon as I saw Fields in on that play I knew it was gonna be a fake. We never give that look. It was a dead giveaway.

Yes it was ! And I was frozen for a few seconds. Couldn't believe that bone headed call. Not fair to Fields, the team, the fans....just all around a horrible call.

3 hours ago, Carter said:

As soon as I saw Fields in on that play I knew it was gonna be a fake. We never give that look. It was a dead giveaway.

And when Bama D saw him on field they knew it too!

When we covered receiver, Kirby should have called TO. He had the time, can't expect a freshman who has never been on field in that situation to make the decision. 

Carter likes this

7 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

And when Bama D saw him on field they knew it too!

When we covered receiver, Kirby should have called TO. He had the time, can't expect a freshman who has never been on field in that situation to make the decision. 

I agree with this. I was hoping they would call a timeout. Imagine my disappointment when Kirby explained the play and said Bama's punt safe look is what they wanted, we just took too long to snap the ball and it gave them enough time to cover the receiver.

I don't know that we would have stopped Hurts from driving down the field and leaving even less time on the clock anyway, had we just punted it and maybe downed it inside the 20. After he came in our defensive strategy completely changed. Even with the turnover on downs at midfield I was expecting our missed field goal to come back and haunt us with Bama's kicker making a game winning field goal... because that's something that would happen to UGA. But something even more Georgia happened and we let him run untouched for a 20+ yard touchdown.

4th quarter was so frustrating.

BamaBirdLady likes this

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Looks like UGA cost Tua a Heisman. 

Hate that for him :flush: :troll:

I'll take the SEC Championship and a chance at the National Championship over a Heisman. 

I am sure Tua would too! Roll Tide!

22 minutes ago, Carter said:

Probably a good omen for Tua anyway. Heisman winning QBs usually flame out hard. 

That is very true!

I am pretty sure the last time Bama played against a QB who had just won Heisman was Gino Torretta. We handled him and Miami pretty good!

Bama defensive players already have spoken about Kyler winning over Tua, #Dec 29th

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Looks like UGA cost Tua a Heisman. 

Hate that for him :flush: :troll:

Yep it was great we can get one win from that game.  We dominated him.  It is a shame we couldn't have finished the game.