Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter

2018 SEC Championship - #1 Alabama vs #4 Georgia

1,474 posts in this topic

Ha... Reading stuff like "everybody knows" Georgia is a top four team is what makes this board worthwhile.   Especially when it's essentially based on Georgia suffering a "good loss."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall record loses meaning when the disparity between conferences is so huge. The Big 12 has 4 teams better than 6-6 on the season and 2 of them played today. Ohio State and Clemson are playing teams in their conference championship that are barely bowl eligible and lost to non power 5 schools.

I’m gonna leave it alone though because we will just have to see what the committee does. I won’t even be mad if they don’t put us in, I completely understand it either way. We should have won this game today. 

I’m hoping though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I was in favor of Bama making it last year as well.   I am not really in favor of UGA making it, just saying if committee really follows their parameters,  UGA can get in.

I hope UGA makes it. I think Alabama Clemson UGA and Oklahoma are the best teams again this year. I'll never believe in Notre Dame but they did what they had to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty clear Georgia is one of the 4 best teams. Will they get in? Who knows. Should they? Absolutely. 

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. Georgia
Cotton Bowl: Alabama vs. Notre Dame

I think OU is better than ND, but going undefeated playing lots of P5 teams should mean something. 

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Proud of the players and coaches in the first half.  Proud of the players and **** the coaches in the 2nd half.

With that said...I still love Kirby.  He is learning tough lessons.  But look how far he is in just year 3 of being an HC. Saban was still at Michigan State in year 3.  So we have lots to look forward to.  Players did their part tonight.

Yeah, coaches did a great job preparing kids for this game and players did a mostly great job executing but couldn’t close them out.   The mistake on the fake punt was just really bad and shouldn’t have been made.  I love Kirby and if he keeps getting us to the end every year, we will win our share - but we have missed two golden opportunities in back to back years.

glad we have Kirby though.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Overall record loses meaning when the disparity between conferences is so huge. The Big 12 has 4 teams better than 6-6 on the season and 2 of them played today. Ohio State and Clemson are playing teams in their conference championship that are barely bowl eligible and lost to non power 5 schools.

I’m gonna leave it alone though because we will just have to see what the committee does. I won’t even be mad if they don’t put us in, I completely understand it either way. We should have won this game today. 

I’m hoping though. 

Agreed...and I’ll say I don’t love our chances playing Bama in the semifinal.  Would so love the opportunity though.  Perhaps we would continue feeding Swift who was snatching Bama’s soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I bet every Bama defender saw Justin Fields in there on that play.  That play had almost no chance

I was thinking the same thing. You see a QB lined up where there typically is not a QB. Heck I figured it out and was like....tell me no please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I was thinking the same thing. You see a QB lined up where there typically is not a QB. Heck I figured it out and was like....tell me no please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember thinking 

3:47 left

punting from midfield

pin Bama deep with a QB not known for passing

two timeouts

 

I like my chances.

...and then it all went to sheit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think UGA gets in and I completely understand why and actually support it. They needed to win today.

However if the committee felt that UGA was the 4th best team in college football entering today, what happened today that makes you think they aren't tomorrow?

They took it to the #1 team in the country and outplayed them for the most part, but then "it" happened. Whatever "it" is that always happens to Ga teams 

g-dawg and Wardog357 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jeffro2000 said:

I don't think UGA gets in and I completely understand why and actually support it. They needed to win today.

However if the committee felt that UGA was the 4th best team in college football entering today, what happened today that makes you think they aren't tomorrow?

They took it to the #1 team in the country and outplayed them for the most part, but then "it" happened. Whatever "that" is that always happens to Ga teams 

You are right......the 4th best was close to beating an undefeated #1 team. so how could they actually fall lower than #4, you could say they should have climbed going purely by rankings. LSU has 3 losses and still #10, got completed killed by Bama. But I doubt we get in having said all that.

jeffro2000 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked Carter this, but I would love some replies..  I haven't seen the game yet, but we are up 28 to 14.. How the heck did we not score more and how did we lose this game?  I love Kirby a ton and hope he wins the title for UGA, but how in the heck did we lose another 2 td lead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I think it's pretty clear Georgia is one of the 4 best teams. Will they get in? Who knows. Should they? Absolutely. 

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. Georgia
Cotton Bowl: Alabama vs. Notre Dame

I think OU is better than ND, but going undefeated playing lots of P5 teams should mean something. 

I’m higher on Notre Dame than most seem to be, but yeah I’m not sure they are better than Oklahoma. They played a lot of bad teams close. 

Would not mind seeing them be told to join a conference. They should join the Big Ten. Let the B10 drop Rutgers, move Purdue or Illinois to the B10 East and put Notre Dame in B10 West so there’s a chance Ohio State might play a good team for the conference title. Or join the ACC Coastal division since they already align with the ACC.

Herbstreit said he’d put UGA at 3 and drop ND to 4 fwiw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think UGA will get in, but they definitely deserve to be in the playoff. I don’t think the committee will put them at the 4 and have them rematch with Bama, and I also don’t think they’ll bump them up to 3 and punish ND by dropping them to 4. 

In the end, I’m impressed with how well the team played and competed. Especially, for a team in a “down year”. That fake punt though was the worst playcall ever though. Got to make better decisions going forward in clutch situations.

95Dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SacFalcFan said:

I asked Carter this, but I would love some replies..  I haven't seen the game yet, but we are up 28 to 14.. How the heck did we not score more and how did we lose this game?  I love Kirby a ton and hope he wins the title for UGA, but how in the heck did we lose another 2 td lead? 

Just stop converting 3rd downs on offense.

On defense, started missing on some tackles.  Richard LeCounte missed two tackles that ended up being explosive plays against the defense.

Hot Rod missed 30yd FG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

I asked Carter this, but I would love some replies..  I haven't seen the game yet, but we are up 28 to 14.. How the heck did we not score more and how did we lose this game?  I love Kirby a ton and hope he wins the title for UGA, but how in the heck did we lose another 2 td lead? 

First off, how have you not seen the game yet.  Second, we got to midfield every possession except one in the 2nd half but stalled.  Swift was ignored.  Chaney called a brilliant first half with his offset formations...unfortunately he proved once again he struggles when forced off script.  We don’t make affective halftime adjustments.  Swift had Bama’s soul..but we ignored him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t appear we got as much pressure in the 4th as we did earlier also. Especially once Hurts was in. 

Also don’t remember the TEs getting anything much after about mid way in the 3rd. We were doing well with them. 

Mecole was never a factor and after the first half Holloman disappeared 

Wardog357 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites