Carter

2018 SEC Championship - #1 Alabama vs #4 Georgia

1,474 posts in this topic

Talking heads on ESPN saying the committee is praying UGA beats Bama so the selection process is simple and they don’t have to argue about Oklahoma or Ohio State. Then they say UGA would jump to 2 with Bama dropping to 3 and Notre Dame dropping to 4 because the committee doesn’t want Bama/UGA again for the national title. Argument apparently doesn’t extend to Bama and Clemson playing 4 years in a row.

I'll say this is the first year in recent memory that an 8 team playoff has appealed to me. Not sure if I care for the extra game, but I'd defer my opinion to that of the players who arguably earn no reward from the change. The 6-team playoff would also make sense this year.

slamee101 likes this

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

Talking heads on ESPN saying the committee is praying UGA beats Bama so the selection process is simple and they don’t have to argue about Oklahoma or Ohio State. Then they say UGA would jump to 2 with Bama dropping to 3 and Notre Dame dropping to 4 because the committee doesn’t want Bama/UGA again for the national title. Argument apparently doesn’t extend to Bama and Clemson playing 4 years in a row.

that would be an absolutely horrible seeding.  Bama and UGA don't need to play twice in a row.  If Bama loses, they have to at least drop to #4.

1) Clemson

2) Georgia

3) Notre Dame

4) Alabama

You could flip Georgia and Notre Dame but Bama has to be #4 in that scenario.

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

If we beat Bama we should be number 1 and Clemson number 2. Make them play Bama in the first round not Georgia.

Skip Dawg likes this

7 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

I'll say this is the first year in recent memory that an 8 team playoff has appealed to me. Not sure if I care for the extra game, but I'd defer my opinion to that of the players who arguably earn no reward from the change. The 6-team playoff would also make sense this year.

Yeah, 6-team or 8-team are ideal.  The only problem w/ the 6-team playoff is the narrative would quickly become that the top 2 teams have too much of an advantage (bye week) and it would be highly political as to who gets the #2 seed if the #3/4 seed is close in the beauty contest.

As far as "too many games" - it's literally ONE more game for the two teams that make the final (in 8 game scenario).

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

that would be an absolutely horrible seeding.  Bama and UGA don't need to play twice in a row.  If Bama loses, they have to at least drop to #4.

1) Clemson

2) Georgia

3) Notre Dame

4) Alabama

I wouldn’t mind playing Notre Dame 3 years in a row. Had to give them respect after the game last year, they played us tough as nails. 

g-dawg likes this

I think we need to get used to playing some of these teams regularly. The talent disparity between the top 6-8 programs and the rest of CFB is growing and until something changes, Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma and Georgia will be regular playoff matchups. 

I hate the though of having to play Bama in back to back games if we win. Not sure how fair it is considering we most likely won't have that opportunity if we lose a close one despite the fact that nobody has been within 3 TDs of them all year. 

Edited by UAB_DAWG

11 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I think we need to get used to playing some of these teams regularly. The talent disparity between the top 6-8 programs and the rest of CFB is growing and until something changes, Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma and Georgia will be regular playoff matchups. 

I hate the though of having to play Bama in back to back games if we win. Not sure how fair it is considering we most likely won't have that opportunity if we lose a close one despite the fact that nobody has been within 3 TDs of them all year. 

To me, that's the biggest benefit of the 8 team format. Each P5 Champion can have an auto-bid, removing the animosity that has been brewing over the last 15 or so years. My personal conflict comes from wanting to reward the "clear top teams" like we have this year. And also from the question "Who honestly deserves to be considered as the best team?"

Unless Georgia beats Bama, they don't.

Dawggone likes this

12 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

To me, that's the biggest benefit of the 8 team format. Each P5 Champion can have an auto-bid, removing the animosity that has been brewing over the last 15 or so years. My personal conflict comes from wanting to reward the "clear top teams" like we have this year. And also from the question "Who honestly deserves to be considered as the best team?"

Unless Georgia beats Bama, they don't.

The reason I don't see it expanding any time soon is because controversy is a lot more lucritive to the people that decide these things than naming an undisputed champion. 

The main area we still need to catch up with Bama on is along the defensive line. We’re young along the offensive line, but we already have the guys here and enrolled in the program who will put us on par with the type of offensive lines Bama fields year after year. But I think we still need another couple of recruiting classes to get on Bama’s level with respect to the defensive line. I really wish we could’ve signed somebody like Derrick Brown a few years ago. He’d be a big help against Bama.

slamee101 likes this

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

The main area we still need to catch up with Bama on is along the defensive line. We’re young along the offensive line, but we already have the guys here and enrolled who will put us on par with the type of offensive lines Bama fields year after year. But I think we still need another couple of recruiting classes to get on Bama’s level with respect to the defensive line. I really wish we could’ve signed somebody like Derrick Brown a few years ago. He’d be a big help against Bama.

Yup. Some of those late misses like Adams and Brown have added up. We're paying the piper now.

Edited by AutumnEffect

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

1) Clemson

2) Georgia

3) Notre Dame

4) Alabama

If UGA wins, and Alabama is still included in the top 4, this is what I see... Probably ND staying at 2, UGA at 3, and Bama at 4... But this likely only happens with a close win. If UGA wins by more than one possession, you probably see Oklahoma in the 4th spot. (All of this presumes Clemson doesn't lose their cupcake, same for tOSU and OU - Texas not a cupcake).

sdogg likes this

10 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

If UGA wins, and Alabama is still included in the top 4, this is what I see... Probably ND staying at 2, UGA at 3, and Bama at 4... But this likely only happens with a close win. If UGA wins by more than one possession, you probably see Oklahoma in the 4th spot. (All of this presumes Clemson doesn't lose their cupcake, same for tOSU and OU - Texas not a cupcake).

I don't see a scenario where Oklahoma gets in over Bama.   Just as prolific an offense (against better defenses) with a very, very good defense.   Nah, if Dawgs beat Tide by less than three TDs, they would get in over the Dayum Okies.

56 minutes ago, Red Bandana said:

If Georgia had beaten LSU and they were the #2 team I wonder if the loser of the SEC championship game would miss the playoffs 

we will never know but my guess is Bama gets the benefit of the doubt in a way that Georgia would not.

If Georgia beats Bama, I don't care about anything else. That is all I would need.

But I don't think there is much chance of that happening. 10%.

Interesting reading this thread.

Gun to my head...yea I'd go Bama.  Like many others, I think this is the worst team we'll have for 3 years and that's saying a lot.  As good as we are we are young, the pass rush hasn't been there, and Tua is much better than I was giving him credit for coming into the season.

That said, I do wonder about the level of competition Bama has played.  LSU is pretty good (I still feel like we just blew that game) but beyond that...*shrugs

I'd expect Chaney to come with a gameplan that frustrates me.  I also suspect our D is going to be tested in ways they haven't been before.

The most frustrating outcome would be a 2012 type game where everyone picks against us just because it's Bama...we go out there and flex on them but somehow manage to lose a heartbreaker.  

sdogg likes this

Would suck to play bama twice in a row- I will be happy with a competitive game but if we did win I think bama would murder whoever they play next... be a real tough draw

2 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

GA fans, you guys are really good and can win this game.

As a Bama fan, the Dawgs are the absolute LAST team I want play!

I try to put my objectivity hat on and that’s how I see it. I’m expecting an absolute whale of a game and don’t think any lead will be safe. Very hard to see either team going up big imo.

Bama has been consistently top shelf this season and I think that’s where a lot of folks get tripped up. The Dawgs were starting a ton of new guys and have so much contribution from the freshman and sophomore classes. It took some time and an embarrassing flop in Baton Rouge to get to here, but this team has rounded into shape and is pretty clearly playing as well as anyone. Will it be enough to beat Bama? I don’t know. Can’t wait to see the game though!

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I try to put my objectivity hat on and that’s how I see it. I’m expecting an absolute whale of a game and don’t think any lead will be safe. Very hard to see either team going up big imo.

Bama has been consistently top shelf this season and I think that’s where a lot of folks get tripped up. The Dawgs were starting a ton of new guys and have so much contribution from the freshman and sophomore classes. It took some time and an embarrassing flop in Baton Rouge to get to here, but this team has rounded into shape and is pretty clearly playing as well as anyone. Will it be enough to beat Bama? I don’t know. Can’t wait to see the game though!

Well said. I'm excited about the game too. I've missed this game for so long. Feels so right, that UGA is playing for SEC titles again. I love what Kirby and co have done with this program.

sdogg and Carter like this