Carter

2018 SEC Championship - #1 Alabama vs #4 Georgia

1,474 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, sirlot said:

Well, officially time for UGA to turn their attention to the SECCG. I'm pumped. I feel like UGA is starting to peak. I'm not scared of Bama. I have no facts to back this up, but I think Kirby has had this game circled all season.

For sure. We know what Bama and this game is all about. We won the conference and then lost to Bama for the national title, so it kinda took some of the luster off that championship we won. Tons of respect for Bama but you know the Dawgs have revenge on their mind.

Kinda like Bama players talking last year about how they watched Clemson celebrate after beating them for their title and they were motivated all year to hand it to them. Kirby has the same mentality and has brought that culture to this team. 

Obviously it takes more than wanting revenge to win a game, but I’ve never thought once since Bama and UGA wrapped up the divisions that UGA would show up with anything less than 100% in the game. The Dawgs might lose but it won’t be for lack of effort imo. Really looking forward to the game.

sdogg and fibonaccisquared like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Carter said:

For sure. We know what Bama and this game is all about. We won the conference and then lost to Bama for the national title, so it kinda took some of the luster off that championship we won. Tons of respect for Bama but you know the Dawgs have revenge on their mind.

Kinda like Bama players talking last year about how they watched Clemson celebrate after beating them for their title and they were motivated all year to hand it to them. Kirby has the same mentality and has brought that culture to this team. 

Obviously it takes more than wanting revenge to win a game, but I’ve never thought once since Bama and UGA wrapped up the divisions that UGA would show up with anything less than 100% in the game. The Dawgs might lose but it won’t be for lack of effort imo. Really looking forward to the game.

I like the matchup of Dawgs offense against Bama defense but hate the matchup of our young defense vs Bama offense.  Dawgs gonna have to put up a 40-spot to win this game.

mike teevee and sdogg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on recent trends our best shot is if we can get the lead going to halftime, then somehow have the game forced to be called at halftime. Bama seems to dominate the second half,so let’s just avoid that.

 

Carter and jeffro2000 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how OSU gets in unless Oklahoma loses since they will have avenged their only loss to a ranked team in the big 12 championship game. It will be interesting to see how they rank 4-6 this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Alabama has a big lead going into the half, it's over. Georgia needs to jump out to an early lead and hold on for dear life. Let's say Texas and Northwestern win their respective conferences (over OU and Ohio State) then it's going to be a head ache. Who goes in? Not OU, Not Ohio State, Not any Pac 12 team. Maybe UCF? Even then, that's a stretch. 

If that scenario happens.... Alabama and Georgia will be playing again in Dallas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgia is gonna beat Bama in the SEC championship game.  Play their game and don't blink when Bama starts its 3rd quarter push.  Mississippi state and LSU blinked when Bama pushed back at them. I don't believe the dawgs will do that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mike teevee said:

In that situation it would be between UGA, UCF, and Texas. I’d guess UCF would get the #4. Unless we had another nailbiter to the end

 

Memphis 'should' take care of the University of Cinderella Floridians.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tl;dr said:

If Alabama has a big lead going into the half, it's over. Georgia needs to jump out to an early lead and hold on for dear life. Let's say Texas and Northwestern win their respective conferences (over OU and Ohio State) then it's going to be a head ache. Who goes in? Not OU, Not Ohio State, Not any Pac 12 team. Maybe UCF? Even then, that's a stretch. 

If that scenario happens.... Alabama and Georgia will be playing again in Dallas. 

I'm thinking...  and hoping at this point, that Texas beats OU, Northwestern keeps Ohio State close and Georgia either beats or at least plays Bama very close >> thus we end up with CFP of:  Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Georgia.

I know a lot of SEC Haters would be mad, but the REALITY is that Georgia is a BETTER TEAM than either OU or OSU. The other side is Georgia would have the 2 losses if they lose to Bama while OU if they beat Texas and OSU could both be 1-loss, which is hilarious in itself because both were flirting with multiple losses, AND the Big10 and Big12 are so VASTLY OVER RATED as competition that it ticks me off >> to wit, the Michigan defense was #1 going into the weekend... why?  *Because the only decent toffenses they had played were Penn State and Notre Dame.

I'm not going to cry about it if Georgia loses to Bama and doesn't get into the CFP due to the OU/OSU "1-loss" bias/arguement but I sure would like to get a crack at playing either of them or Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

I'm thinking...  and hoping at this point, that Texas beats OU, Northwestern keeps Ohio State close and Georgia either beats or at least plays Bama very close >> thus we end up with CFP of:  Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Georgia.

I know a lot of SEC Haters would be mad, but the REALITY is that Georgia is a BETTER TEAM than either OU or OSU. The other side is Georgia would have the 2 losses if they lose to Bama while OU if they beat Texas and OSU could both be 1-loss, which is hilarious in itself because both were flirting with multiple losses, AND the Big10 and Big12 are so VASTLY OVER RATED as competition that it ticks me off >> to wit, the Michigan defense was #1 going into the weekend... why?  *Because the only decent toffenses they had played were Penn State and Notre Dame.

I'm not going to cry about it if Georgia loses to Bama and doesn't get into the CFP due to the OU/OSU "1-loss" bias/arguement but I sure would like to get a crack at playing either of them or Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

The committee has been pretty consistent with not allowing 2 loss teams in the playoffs, so I don't think even a close loss for Georgia gets them in unless both Ohio State and Oklahoma lose. Then you are debating between 3 2 loss teams. I think it's safe to say that Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are all in at this point. The seeding may change, but even 12-1 Alabama/Clemson is getting in over 12-1 Ohio State/Oklahoma

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

The committee has been pretty consistent with not allowing 2 loss teams in the playoffs, so I don't think even a close loss for Georgia gets them in unless both Ohio State and Oklahoma lose. Then you are debating between 3 2 loss teams. I think it's safe to say that Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are all in at this point. The seeding may change, but even 12-1 Alabama/Clemson is getting in over 12-1 Ohio State/Oklahoma

I agree.  This has always looked like the most non-controversial playoffs since we had this system.  Bama, Clemson, ND are in no matter what.   Georgia, OSU, OK are candidates for the last spot depending on what happens in championship week. If all three lose then you have a little bit of chaos for the last spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

I agree.  This has always looked like the most non-controversial playoffs since we had this system.  Bama, Clemson, ND are in no matter what.   Georgia, OSU, OK are candidates for the last spot depending on what happens in championship week. If all three lose then you have a little bit of chaos for the last spot.  

If all 3 lose, UGA should be in unless they get just murdered (by 30+). LSU would have been the 4th team in that scenario had they not lost yesterday, but here we are. If UGA gets murdered, I think UCF may back door their way in. And if they lose...? Flip a coin lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Georgia is gonna beat Bama in the SEC championship game.  Play their game and don't blink when Bama starts its 3rd quarter push.  Mississippi state and LSU blinked when Bama pushed back at them. I don't believe the dawgs will do that...

How do you stop the Bama passing game with ZERO pass rush?

How do you stop Bama running with Natrez Patrick and Juwan Taylor who see time and cannot tackle?

Dawgs should be able to score 25+ points on Bama defense but how do we hold Bama offense under 40 points?

Love the optimism but your post above doesn’t really explain how UGA gets it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

How do you stop the Bama passing game with ZERO pass rush?

How do you stop Bama running with Natrez Patrick and Juwan Taylor who see time and cannot tackle?

Dawgs should be able to score 25+ points on Bama defense but how do we hold Bama offense under 40 points?

Love the optimism but your post above doesn’t really explain how UGA gets it done.

Kirby is a great coach he will have a plan and answer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

How do you stop the Bama passing game with ZERO pass rush?

How do you stop Bama running with Natrez Patrick and Juwan Taylor who see time and cannot tackle?

Dawgs should be able to score 25+ points on Bama defense but how do we hold Bama offense under 40 points?

Love the optimism but your post above doesn’t really explain how UGA gets it done.

There are 129 teams in FBS Division 1.  Georgia is ranked 13th in overall defense... They will get it done...

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

Michigan had the #1 defense before yesterday too. I think we’ll keep it close, but I’m not sure our defense can hang with Bama the whole game. 

I’d love to be wrong though :D

really like to also know how bama will stop the run and the pass, we are the most talented team by far they have played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The run I’m not sure about, but they have some dudes on the d-line that lead the SEC in sacks. I think our run game should do well and our pass game will do well enough, but I don’t think we’ll score enough to keep up. 

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

Michigan had the #1 defense before yesterday too. I think we’ll keep it close, but I’m not sure our defense can hang with Bama the whole game. 

I’d love to be wrong though :D

Georgia is the most COMPLETE team Bama will face this year.  Name another team that they have faced that has everything Georgia has...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now