Jump to content

Julio TD was the Play of the Season Because it Showed True Toughness


DownvoteDon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sure, it might have been a coincidence, but I can’t remember seeing an OL do to a corner what Jake Mathews did to Josh Norman. 

I think the call and execution went back to the horse collar pass interference on Julio by Norman.  It was dangerous and cheap.  (There are other way Norman could have stopped Julio without the horse collar). 

But no one retaliated.  No one was penalized. Joe Hawley didn’t get sent to the showers. 

Nope. 

But they ran a play in which an OL gets a running shot at a corner. 

And that corner happened to be Norman.  

Norman got knocked back five yards and right on his ***.  If you look carefully, you see the last thing he does (before he presumably passes out) is bring his left arm up like “don’t hit me again!” Or else “I just got hit so hard that has GOT to be a penalty for something!”

It was painful. 

It was humiliating. 

It was a touchdown 

It was legal. 

It was TOUGH.  

It reminded me of an enforcer shot in the NHL.  You rough up our star?  You’re going to pay.  

Sure it was great to get Julio a TD. And it was important to stay aggressive and score. And the full team celebration was nice to see.  

But here’s to Jake Mathews for setting things straight with Josh Norman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, that was awesome. I had to rewind it over and over just to see that block. It was a thing of beauty. Seemed to me MR had a lot more time today than some of the other games.

It was a total and complete game today. We showed up for 4 quarters finally on both sides of the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

U were not stopping Julio from getting that td... He wanted it badly... Loved it for him...

Man it was funny how ****-bent they were to stop him from getting a TD. Amazed how Norman turned around expecting Julio to be there and instead it was Jake burying his a$$ into the ground up to his neck. The dude got legit planted. I love how Jake faked the double block and then switched over to Norman in a hurry. Ha-ha was no match for Julio 1 on 1 in a foot race, regardless of his speed. That man was on a mission and he wasn't about to be denied. Well designed, well executed!

Edited by FenixFalcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What Norman did was scary looking, but I don't think it fit the definition of a horse collar.  I think a horse collar has to be grabbing the neck part of the jersey.  Norman I think grabbed both shoulder pads and brought Julio down backwards.  Would have been a legal tackle if Julio had the ball in his hands I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

What Norman did was scary looking, but I don't think it fit the definition of a horse collar.  I think a horse collar has to be grabbing the neck part of the jersey.  Norman I think grabbed both shoulder pads and brought Julio down backwards.  Would have been a legal tackle if Julio had the ball in his hands I think.

I know it sounds weird, but I was surprised that the flag was thrown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I know it sounds weird, but I was surprised that the flag was thrown. 

I seen some people say "well it was the only way Norman was going to stop him", but I think it was pretty dumb.  That was a really awkward position Julio Jones was in the make the catch on that ball coming straight down over the top of his head.  We've all seen him miss that ball a lot more than we've seen him catch it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peyton said:

I seen some people say "well it was the only way Norman was going to stop him", but I think it was pretty dumb.  That was a really awkward position Julio Jones was in the make the catch on that ball coming straight down over the top of his head.  We've all seen him miss that ball a lot more than we've seen him catch it.

It looked uncatchable at first. He probably would have to had lay out to bring it in. Might not have scored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

The beauty of this offense had me all in feelings yesterday, then when Julio scored, I dang near  had an emotional meltdown. Ryan and company put on a clinic yesterday.

It really was a thing of beauty. If not for our rook running the wrong route (and he made up for it!), that's likely a 5 touchdown, 0 interception performance. Given how different our offense has looked at home vs. on the road up until this point, it was especially refreshing and gave a lot of much-needed optimism moving forward into a second half of the season that often takes us on the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peyton said:

What Norman did was scary looking, but I don't think it fit the definition of a horse collar.  I think a horse collar has to be grabbing the neck part of the jersey.  Norman I think grabbed both shoulder pads and brought Julio down backwards.  Would have been a legal tackle if Julio had the ball in his hands I think.

I saw a desperate man who knew he was beat just grab at anything to stop his man.

Even still one of the better corners in the league one on one all day still had no chance when it came down to it.

Julio is always going to get his.

I'm hoping this media driven TD slump rubbish comes back and bites them in the butt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

It really was a thing of beauty. If not for our rook running the wrong route (and he made up for it!), that's likely a 5 touchdown, 0 interception performance. Given how different our offense has looked at home vs. on the road up until this point, it was especially refreshing and gave a lot of much-needed optimism moving forward into a second half of the season that often takes us on the road.

Excellent post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...