Can Hall or Ridley Return Punts?

Jesus

During the preseason I asked the question who is going to return punts... apparently, we don't have a good answer.  At this point, as long as they catch it when they're supposed to and don't fumble then I won't complain too much because we don't really have anyone else I'd risk putting back there.  

I don't mind making the decision to be conservative and put a 'safe' returner back there like Hardy when our offense is playing like it is. However, if Hardy is just back there as a safe option he has to make better decisions. Against Washington he let that first punt bounce at the 35 and bobble up to our 18, and then on the next he fielded a punt at the 5 and managed to bring it out to the 9 when odds are it ends up in the endzone for a touchback. Then later in the game he fair caught one when there wasn't a Washington player within 15/20 yards of him.

I don't mind having a guy back there who isn't necessarily going to take one to the house, but atleast take whats given to you and make good decisions as to when to field punts.

Hardy is the safe option back there. However, he had a chance to make a return on one yesterday when he had no one around him and he instead went for the FC. I guess I'd rather Hardy secure the ball than muff it, but the Falcons pose no threat on punt returns whatsoever with a return or a block.

Hardy is a safe option but safe doesnt mean he is the best option. We need somebody who can make a play back there. Hardy doesnt have the speed or quickness to make plays. He just has great hands. Best on the team at that. Needs to be featured more like Shanahan did him. 

Hall has been solid at KR. Not sure why he isnt back there at least some time when we wanna setup a return. Let Hardy catch the ones that are deep. 

I'm usual a fan of aggressive play, but for punt returns I'll take security over an extra ten yards every day of the week...AND TWICE ON SUNDAY.   Games can swing so horribly if you mess up simply catching a punt and while Hardy is slower than a sloth's funeral procession...he has reliable hands. 

Just now, YoungHeezy said:

Calling fair catch with 5 yards to operate was real Eric Weems-esque yesterday. He could've had a decent return. I understand protecting the possession, but man, take the opportunity when it presents itself.

True, I had forgotten that one.  I do remember shaking my head when he didn't take off, I'll admit.