Still Alive, but Out of Mulligans

falcndave

Let's not pretend our 3 game win streak has been against the caliber of teams that beat us in 3 out of 4. That said, when the scheduling powers that be give you chance to struggle back to the surface for air, you best take advantage of it. 

• Win one game you should at home against a division opponent-Check
  • Win one game you should at home against an NFC Least cellar dweller-Check
  • Win a road game against one of the teams you'll likely need to outlast if you wish to gain the NFC's last Wild Card spot-Check

This team stared into the abyss after an ugly ugly ugly loss in week 5 to drop to 1-4. To this point it hasn't blinked. We have similar test coming up in the next two contests. Take care of business in Cleveland, then back home against the Cowboys. The Cowboys game will be a matchup test. The good news it is the same matchup test we just passed in Washington. If we pass those tests, we earn the right to play meaningful game in front of a national audience on Thanksgiving evening. 

My prognosis for this team hasn't changed since the Pittsburgh game. "We are still alive, but we are out of mulligans" 

Hit 'em straight Falcons!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Let's not pretend our 3 game win streak has been against the caliber of teams that beat us in 3 out of 4. That said, when the scheduling powers that be give you chance to struggle back to the surface for air, you best take advantage of it. 

• Win one game you should at home against a division opponent-Check
  • Win one game you should at home against an NFC Least cellar dweller-Check
  • Win a road game against one of the teams you'll likely need to outlast if you wish to gain the NFC's last Wild Card spot-Check

This team stared into the abyss after an ugly ugly ugly loss in week 5 to drop to 1-4. To this point it hasn't blinked. We have similar test coming up in the next two contests. Take care of business in Cleveland, then back home against the Cowboys. The Cowboys game will be a matchup test. The good news it is the same matchup test we just passed in Washington. If we pass those tests, we earn the right to play meaningful game in front of a national audience on Thanksgiving evening. 

My prognosis for this team hasn't changed since the Pittsburgh game. "We are still alive, but we are out of mulligans" 

Hit 'em straight Falcons!

Dallas is a mediocre team and Atlanta should be able to handle them...

Cleveland could be a blowout... The offense looked awesome and creative. 

6-4 is in the cards...

10 minutes ago, tactician said:

8 games left. We have to 6-2 at the minimum to get in.

I think your right.  It will take 10-6 to get in this year.  9-7 wont do it.  We have to beat the Browns on the road and Dallas at home.  Then we have to win at least one if not two of the NO, Green Bay and Carolina on the road.  Those three games will tell us what we have here in the ATL.

19 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's what I've got happening now!! Falcons make the playoffs at 10-6 as the #6 seed and play at the #1 seed 13-3 Rams.

NFC

1. Rams = 13-3
  2. Saints = 12-4
  3. Bears = 10-6
  4. Cowboys = 9-7
  5. Panthers = 11-5
  6. Falcons = 10-6

AFC

1. Chiefs = 15-1
  2. Patriots = 13-3
  3. Texans = 11-5
  4. Bengals = 11-5
  5. Chargers = 11-5
  6. Steelers = 10-5-1

Link

That seems like a realistic prediction. :tiphat:

23 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's what I've got happening now!! Falcons make the playoffs at 10-6 as the #6 seed and play at the #1 seed 13-3 Rams.

NFC

1. Rams = 13-3
  2. Saints = 12-4
  3. Bears = 10-6
  4. Cowboys = 9-7
  5. Panthers = 11-5
  6. Falcons = 10-6

AFC

1. Chiefs = 15-1
  2. Patriots = 13-3
  3. Texans = 11-5
  4. Bengals = 11-5
  5. Chargers = 11-5
  6. Steelers = 10-5-1

Link

good post Tim

27 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

NFC

1. Rams = 13-3
  2. Saints = 12-4
  3. Bears = 10-6
  4. Cowboys = 9-7
  5. Panthers = 11-5
  6. Falcons = 10-6

AFC

1. Chiefs = 15-1
  2. Patriots = 13-3
  3. Texans = 11-5
  4. Bengals = 11-5
  5. Chargers = 11-5
  6. Steelers = 10-5-1

Link

We’d be playing the Bears on Wildcard weekend.

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

6-4 is in the cards...

Dallas is the matchup problem we have with Miami every preseason, with the Eagles in every game, and with the Steelers. It is not about which team it better, its about particular matchups. Teams that have the potential to simply push a smaller, more athletic team around at the LOS traditionally present problems for the Falcons.

That said, they should have the same problem the Redskins had if our O is sharp, they don't have the skill players on the outside to take the Falcons defensive focus off the run. Therefore, they will find it difficult to score the 20+ it will take to beat the Falcons even if the O does struggle. 

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

Dallas is the matchup problem we have with Miami every preseason, with the Eagles in every game, and with the Steelers. It is not about which team it better, its about particular matchups. Teams that have the potential to simply push a smaller, more athletic team around at the LOS traditionally present problems for the Falcons.

That said, they should have the same problem the Redskins had if our O is sharp, they don't have the skill players on the outside to take the Falcons defensive focus off the run. Therefore, they will find it difficult to score the 20+ it will take to beat the Falcons even if the O does struggle. 

Cowboys game is in Atlanta and Cowboys aren't a good road team this year. Cowboys also aren't the team they were a couple years ago.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Cowboys game is in Atlanta and Cowboys aren't a good road team this year. Cowboys also aren't the team they were a couple years ago.

If you'll noticed, I did mention its not about which team is better. I did mention I think we will win.  Right?  That said, I think people will be mad when we win 14-17 on a goal line stand. I'll be ecstatic. 

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I was worried about the cowboys running all over our defense before the last two games. But we’ve shut down Barkley and Peterson so I feel a lot better about that game now.

cowboys defense is no joke this year though, I hope the O-line keeps bringing it like they did today

Edited by Drew4719

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

If you'll noticed, I did mention its not about which team is better. I did mention I think we will win.  Right?  That said, I think people will be mad when we win 14-17 on a goal line stand. I'll be ecstatic. 

I don't care if the Falcons win 3-2 on a 67 yard field goal as time expires! Just win baby!!

1992141_2.jpg

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

NFC

1. Rams = 13-3
  2. Saints = 12-4
  3. Bears = 10-6
  4. Cowboys = 9-7
  5. Panthers = 11-5
  6. Falcons = 10-6

AFC

1. Chiefs = 15-1
  2. Patriots = 13-3
  3. Texans = 11-5
  4. Bengals = 11-5
  5. Chargers = 11-5
  6. Steelers = 10-5-1

Link

If this happens in the NFC again (NFC South sends 3 teams to the playoffs in back to back seasons) the league can't deny how tough this division is!!

1 minute ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

If this happens in the NFC again (NFC South sends 3 teams to the playoffs in back to back seasons) the league can't deny how tough this division is!!

One of the good things about having Tony Gonzalez on FOX is the NFC South love he gives them. He said it again today that it's the best division in football.

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

6-4 is in the cards...

Falcons looking better on both sides of the ball every week. Defense is really coming on as it needed to do if the team was going to have any shot at the play-offs. I'm feeling really good about reaching 6-4 for that Stain game. Rise Up! :slick: