Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Jeffery Simmons behind the line

27 posts in this topic

Pro Football Focus has given Mississippi State junior DT Jeffery Simmons a 91.0 grade on the year.
One of the reasons Simmons (6'4/300) has such a high grade -- other than the fact that he's really good at football -- is that he's been dominant against the run. He has made nine defensive stops this year; in large part because he's so difficult to double-team and quick off the football. There are off-the-field issues that Simmons will have to overcome -- for lack of a better term -- but the talent is here for him to be one of the highest drafted defensive tackles in the class.

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard believes there is a "strong argument" that Mississippi State junior DT Jeffery Simmons is "the best interior defensive lineman in the country."
Ledyard explained Simmons "tossed around Kansas State’s interior offensive line all game long, finishing with two tackles-for-loss and constantly pressuring the pocket with a bevy of power moves and rips." He even goes as far to say he doesn't "know how people have either of the Clemson defensive tackles ranked" higher. Simmons has been impressive to start the season and has a good chance to be a top draft pick in 2019.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline lists Mississippi State junior DT Jeffery Simmons as a "riser" after his performance on Saturday against Kansas State.
Simmons finished with four tackles -- two of them for loss -- and a hurry, but that doesn't really help explain how dominant he was in the victory over the Wildcats. "Much of the mayhem caused by Simmons did not show up on the stat sheet, as his ability to control double-team blocks and penetrate the line of scrimmage allowed teammates to get to the ball carrier and forced opponents to re-route designed plays," Pauline writes.

kiwifalcon and atlbaby like this

Jeffrey Simmons, Mississippi State, 6’4, 310 lbs 

The first thing you’ll see when you look up Jeffrey Simmons is a video of him beating a woman who was involved in an altercation with his sister. This video came out in March of 2016 before Simmons reported to Starkville and he apologized after the video came out.

Since then, he has stayed out of trouble, has been a member of the SEC’s Academic Honor Roll and has been praised for his leadership by his coaches including Dan Mullen. NFL teams will surely look into this red flag but from the outside in, it looks like Simmons has learned from that encounter.

Simmons is a strong athlete who uses his hands consistently well. His long arms help him stack and shed in the run game and he swat hands and bull rush in the passing game. His burst and strength allow him to be versatile and play anywhere along the DL. Expect Simmons and Sweat to put Mississippi State’s defense on the map and put themselves on NFL teams’ radar.

I think the video pretty much answers any character concerns a team might have.Seems responsible to me just watching from an outside view point.Hes learnt from his mistake I think he'll fly through the interview process.

Cole World likes this

Just what I see. I think if we draft him, Grady will have to stick to the 1, not so sure he's a 1 for us based off this game. Just one game, but just been reading up also. He's great at getting up field, playing half a man, and getting on the edge of offensive lineman. Basically generating a pass rush inside. That's seems to be the consensus. Not so great in run support, taking on double teams and controlling the man in front of him. This tape shows this. For me its' (Outside of Quinnen Williams)

1. Derrick Brown

2. Dexter Lawrence

3. Jeffrey Simmons

Embrace the suck likes this

You were saying.....

Simmons has better value than D Brown. #'s don't lie

Most coaches are looking for DTs that will give you pressure up the middle i.e. Williams, Oliver and Simmons.

DGMW, Brown is good at what he's does (stuffing the run and keeping OL off of the LB's), but

he just doesn't have the pass rush yet to warrant a top 15 pick from us.

Oh and BTW it's nothing wrong with Jarrett playing the 1. He's only really playing it when we are in our base defense.

Other than that we are in nickel and it's just 2 DT's at that point.

Senat should get increase snaps next year as well and he would be the primary NT.

atlbaby likes this

5 hours ago, Cole World said:

You were saying.....

Simmons has better value than D Brown. #'s don't lie

Most coaches are looking for DTs that will give you pressure up the middle i.e. Williams, Oliver and Simmons.

DGMW, Brown is good at what he's does (stuffing the run and keeping OL off of the LB's), but

he just doesn't have the pass rush yet to warrant a top 15 pick from us.

Oh and BTW it's nothing wrong with Jarrett playing the 1. He's only really playing it when we are in our base defense.

Other than that we are in nickel and it's just 2 DT's at that point.

Senat should get increase snaps next year as well and he would be the primary NT.

10 vs 11, I go to eye tests. It's one run stop. Never was stating that Grady playing the 1 is bad. I just think going forward we need more control at the point of attack versus getting up field, playing half a man. And the only reason he doesn't have the pass rush there is because a difference in development. He has the get off and athleticism just needs to be developed there (referring to Brown). Brown has better control over the LOS, and he has the get off, he doesn't know how to use his hands. Not knocking Simmons, just acknowledging Brown has the greater ceiling, stronger base, and already better against the run. Brown is just as capable of doing both, Simmons is more developed.  Wouldn't mind Simmons, but the main thing killing us is CONTROLLING THE LOS. We can't even get to the 3rd and 5, 3rd and 6 situation to get up field to attack the QB.

14 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

10 vs 11, I go to eye tests. It's one run stop. Never was stating that Grady playing the 1 is bad. I just think going forward we need more control at the point of attack versus getting up field, playing half a man. And the only reason he doesn't have the pass rush there is because a difference in development. He has the get off and athleticism just needs to be developed there (referring to Brown). Brown has better control over the LOS, and he has the get off, he doesn't know how to use his hands. Not knocking Simmons, just acknowledging Brown has the greater ceiling, stronger base, and already better against the run. Brown is just as capable of doing both, Simmons is more developed.  Wouldn't mind Simmons, but the main thing killing us is CONTROLLING THE LOS. We can't even get to the 3rd and 5, 3rd and 6 situation to get up field to attack the QB.

I have to disagree with you on the bold, but before I get to that I will say again I like D.B. I think he's the best true NT coming out of this draft,

but with that being said we have two NTs on the team already. I will come back to this in a minute.

Now I know Miss St. has Simmons playing the NT but with us he would be the 3 in base or just a DT in nickel. Both Simmons and Brown have high ceilings but just at different positions on the defensive line.

It's more than one way to disrupt or attack the line of scrimmage. I see you prefer a big-bodied lineman who ties up two blocks, while I'm more like Quinn and prefer his linemen to penetrate and get tackles for losses like Simmons does. 26.5 TFL's over the last two years is telling you he is disrupting things in the backfield and not just there tying up blocks. 

Upfront we need to be looking for players who can play all 3 downs like a Jarrett. I know we rotate but when you go back to the game against Cleveland, their game plan was perfect. They ran the ball when we were in nickel and pass the ball when we were in base. Taking advantage of our personnel. As we currently speak Brown is only a 2 down player, so is Senat who is still developing.

If we traded back from 15 to the late 20's I wouldn't mind drafting Brown or even in the 2nd but at 15, it's better options there.

atlbaby likes this

Drafting Simmons in my eyes goes back to how you want to use Jarrett.

Personally I think Jarrett needs a foil.

If you want to control the LOS you draft that foil not in the first round.

In my eyes you want that full package the guy with the most go.I want a guy more developed.

Here in lies why that first pick is important.Got to have a 3 down guy for sure.It also brings in guys like Gary and Oliver into the equation.

Cole World and datchrisb1 like this

On 12/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, Cole World said:

I have to disagree with you on the bold, but before I get to that I will say again I like D.B. I think he's the best true NT coming out of this draft,

but with that being said we have two NTs on the team already. I will come back to this in a minute.

Now I know Miss St. has Simmons playing the NT but with us he would be the 3 in base or just a DT in nickel. Both Simmons and Brown have high ceilings but just at different positions on the defensive line.

It's more than one way to disrupt or attack the line of scrimmage. I see you prefer a big-bodied lineman who ties up two blocks, while I'm more like Quinn and prefer his linemen to penetrate and get tackles for losses like Simmons does. 26.5 TFL's over the last two years is telling you he is disrupting things in the backfield and not just there tying up blocks. 

Upfront we need to be looking for players who can play all 3 downs like a Jarrett. I know we rotate but when you go back to the game against Cleveland, their game plan was perfect. They ran the ball when we were in nickel and pass the ball when we were in base. Taking advantage of our personnel. As we currently speak Brown is only a 2 down player, so is Senat who is still developing.

If we traded back from 15 to the late 20's I wouldn't mind drafting Brown or even in the 2nd but at 15, it's better options there.

I don't prefer a "big body" who ties up blockers. I prefer players who fit a specific scheme. If Quinn came in here started the 3-4 under like Wade Phillips I would be looking for those players. Derrick Brown isn't a true NT, he could play as a end in a 3-4, he could play NT in a 4-3 or 3-4, he could play as a 3 technique also. I look at how the player fits the scheme, how he would look, not just what his weight and height is. In a lot of circles Brown is the top inside defender this year outside of Quinnen Williams. 2 down guys don't get that type of consideration. Your joking right, you got to be joking, Derrick Brown is a 2 down player for us, prove it!!!! Its all about how that player plays the best in that system, put them in position to play there best.  Why do you think we brought in Poe and asked him to slim down to 325 last year. We didn't draft that "type" of player because that type of player wasn't there when we picked, (would have been PJ Hall in my opinion). Derrick Brown is exactly what we wanted out of Poe when we brought him here but naturally. Don't need him to change nothing, plus he is a wad of clay to be molded. All Brown really has is a one arm stab and a bull rush. Tones of potential to develop.

Your wrong about your coach also. Quinn doesn't ignore scheme responsibility. Anybody even coming close to touching the center, his job is control first. In his system he wants his one to be able to do both well. Jarrett can do both well, but as far as run fits the one techniques primary goal is control, 3 techniques primary goal is penetration. Rather full 0 or 1, the run fits starts with that nose tackle controlling those gaps or gap. Even Quinn doesn't truly ignore that. Again we did draft Senat, they wanted PJ Hall, we brought in Poe to do the same thing. Jarrett is playing 1 simply because of experience and he's the best guy for the job, not because that's "the best position for him". 3 technique is the best position for Grady, not NT, lol...

On 12/26/2018 at 1:55 AM, datchrisb1 said:

Just what I see. I think if we draft him, Grady will have to stick to the 1, not so sure he's a 1 for us based off this game. Just one game, but just been reading up also. He's great at getting up field, playing half a man, and getting on the edge of offensive lineman. Basically generating a pass rush inside. That's seems to be the consensus. Not so great in run support, taking on double teams and controlling the man in front of him. This tape shows this. For me its' (Outside of Quinnen Williams)

1. Derrick Brown

2. Dexter Lawrence

3. Jeffrey Simmons

Simmons bad against the run? We watching the same guy?

Cole World and atlbaby like this

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Simmons bad against the run? We watching the same guy?

No, apparently not. Neither are we reading the same statements.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

No, apparently not. Neither are we reading the same statements.

You said he's "not so great in run support," there's nothing in what I said that was putting words in your mouth. He is, statistically, one of the best run stoppers in the country. What you said makes no sense.

Edited by Francis York Morgan
Cole World likes this

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You said he's "not so great in run support," there's nothing in what I said that was putting words in your mouth. He is, statistically, one of the best run stoppers in the country. What you said makes no sense.

Not here to argue over what I did and didn't say. Over the years I've found that to be a waste of time. Either you can prove what I said to be illogical or not. Either ask a logical question or not. If I'm wrong prove or leave it alone. Not referring to statistics by the way, put the example game up here with the comment. Dude, not a chick, not here to gossip, I'm not wasting my time with you while instead of you bringing a point to discuss, you rather cherry pick other peoples comments. 

6 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'm referring to control at the point of attack. People refer to it as being a space eater. We need someone who is capable of both aspects at 1. Originally we brought Poe in here asked him to lose 20 lbs and forfill that role. We didn't draft that role last year which is why Jarrett played it more this year. Jarretts ideal role is 3, he can play 1, his best role is 3. Derrick Brown is exactly what we wanted out of Dontari Poe. 

He just made a big play on the opening snap. I think he is rated in that area where the Falcons pick. Look another play by Simmons! 

6 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

I'm referring to control at the point of attack. People refer to it as being a space eater. We need someone who is capable of both aspects at 1. Originally we brought Poe in here asked him to lose 20 lbs and forfill that role. We didn't draft that role last year which is why Jarrett played it more this year. Jarretts ideal role is 3, he can play 1, his best role is 3. Derrick Brown is exactly what we wanted out of Dontari Poe. 

Picking a "space eater" in the first round is dumb af

6 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Not here to argue over what I did and didn't say. Over the years I've found that to be a waste of time. Either you can prove what I said to be illogical or not. Either ask a logical question or not. If I'm wrong prove or leave it alone. Not referring to statistics by the way, put the example game up here with the comment. Dude, not a chick, not here to gossip, I'm not wasting my time with you while instead of you bringing a point to discuss, you rather cherry pick other peoples comments. 

How did you get "gossip" from my post? I literally quoted you. Don't really care about your insults anymore. Simmons is showing out, that's all I care about.

Cole World likes this

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, Cole World said:

no, he's too tall

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Picking a "space eater" in the first round is dumb af

How did you get "gossip" from my post? I literally quoted you. Don't really care about your insults anymore. Simmons is showing out, that's all I care about.

Exactly, I didn't say pick a space eater in the first round, I said it's important that the tackle can do both. This is troll like behavior. Didn't say he was bad against the run in the general sense, in certain circumstances (which I stated, even provided the game tape as reference) he isn't that great. He would be okay with a team running a pure outside zone like us, but for teams who run power or both power and inside zone, I wouldn't want him at the 1 just as much as I don't want Grady there. Teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Philly, Washington, teams who run power where the lineman are firing off the ball and there specialty is moving people off the LOS, we would still struggle with those teams. Teams who run a blend of the 2 power and inside zone like Cinci, New England, Cowboys, or the Chargers, those too. You stop the run first, everything works off that on defense. You run the ball first, everything works off that on offense. Why don't you prove I'm wrong/right or your own point using the game tape I was talking about? We need both there. Said that from the beginning. Nobody's insulting you, just being real. If you think your being insulted, you don't know what an insult is. You didn't literally quote me, **** you didn't even use the whole sentence. It's gossip because instead of me arguing my point with you, I'm arguing on rather or not I said this, said that, meant this, meant that because you insist on plucking out words and phrases and taking them out of the context they were in. 

You "quote" me and lose my point at the same time = gossip!!!

Edited by datchrisb1