Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Seems like the Auburn fans want blood.  I still can't believe the contract they gave Gus, with how little he has done there.

Auburn had a couple of freakishly good seasons w/ Cam and Nick Marshall where a lot went their way - with crap seasons thereafter.   Was it only one season after the Natty that Chizik got fired?  That is probably the quickest fall from grace ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Apparently Auburn and Gus are close to coming to terms to a reduced buyout and restrictions on firing/hiring new coaches for Gus to remain at Auburn one more year. If you have any free time today do yourself a favor and head on over to an Auburn board to enjoy the meltdown.

That's just a disaster. Go ahead and fire him, that's better than trying to go through a recruiting cycle with a lame duck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

That's just a disaster. Go ahead and fire him, that's better than trying to go through a recruiting cycle with a lame duck.

Yea I'm really struggling to see the sense in all of this other than Gus really loves being at Auburn and thinks Auburn is his best chance to win a NC. He must think they will be in contention next year. Maybe Gus knows something about potential QB transfers that nobody else does (ie. Bryant or Hurts). I don't see Stidham sticking around next year. He hasn't shown much interest in his team or winning/losing all year. Auburn was just a stop on the road for him.

The part that makes the least sense is Gus's buyout drops to $25 mil after December so why go through this anyways unless they are cutting the buyout substantially less than that. He already had a vote of confidence from the AD and things seemed to have settled down. This is a lot of bad press just to keep the status quo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

That's just a disaster. Go ahead and fire him, that's better than trying to go through a recruiting cycle with a lame duck.

Two recruiting cycles really. Accepting a reduced buyout and changing the terms to where Gus himself has to pay the buyout for any assistants he wants to dismiss, just to stay one more year? I don't know why on Earth Gus would accept that deal. Auburn is on the hook for 25-30 million, like 6 more years of guaranteed money... Gus has all the leverage.

The only way this makes sense is if Gus knows he would be fired now regardless of the buyout and doesn't think he would get hired for a decent job anywhere else. Either that or maybe he thinks things went sideways this season and he can do better next year and roll that over into a more favorable situation for himself.

Bizarre.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gus must really want to stay. I don't know why. He's not wanted anymore and he could get another job at a smaller school or an OC job somewhere. Les Miles is looking for a spread OC.

Are these reports to be believed?  Where’s this coming from?  Link a guy up, please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Are these reports to be believed?  Where’s this coming from?  Link a guy up, please.

Its being reported by Philip Marshall and Brandon Marcello among others. I've been following the 247 thread that Unknown posted.

It's also all over local radio in Birmingham.

Edited by UAB_DAWG
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think Auburn could outdo giving Gus a 7 year, $49 million contract after last year... then they come along with this. Negotiating a reduced buyout between two parties that recognize it's time to move in a different direction would be one thing. This basically cripples the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes for Auburn and kills the motivation for staff and players going forward.

Notice Auburn has to protect their ability to control the assistant coaches on staff by contractually handcuffing Gus on those buyouts. Smh. I don't know why any serious head coach would take that job, there's way too many chiefs trying to make the decisions and not enough indians executing the plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Carter said:

I didn't think Auburn could outdo giving Gus a 7 year, $49 million contract after last year... then they come along with this. Negotiating a reduced buyout between two parties that recognize it's time to move in a different direction would be one thing. This basically cripples the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes for Auburn and kills the motivation for staff and players going forward.

Notice Auburn has to protect their ability to control the assistant coaches on staff by contractually handcuffing Gus on those buyouts. Smh. I don't know why any serious head coach would take that job, there's way too many chiefs trying to make the decisions and not enough indians executing the plan.

This whole thing is a stinky fish. The AD is not at all involved in any negotiations from what I understand (and I wouldn't be if I were him). This is all the President and the BOT member who were responsible for Gus's contract extension. On top of that the President got on a plane for DC and left all the negotiations to the BOT member.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports: Georgia Tech's Johnson to retire

 

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is retiring, according to multiple reports.

Bill Shanks of 93.1 FM radio in Macon, Ga., first reported the news which was later confirmed by The Athletic Atlanta.

Johnson, 61, is in his 22nd season as a head coach and his 11th as the head coach at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets just finished a 7-5 regular season with a 45-21 loss to rival Georgia in Athens, Ga

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is complete speculation as far as I know but I've heard several people suggesting that these negotiations at Auburn could be to lower the buyout on Malzahn's side so can find a job elsewhere. If he leaves, he owes the University money. I know a lot of times the other school will pay part or all of the buyout so that part seems a little strange but overall it makes more sense than the alternative. Again, no credible source on this but interesting either way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Reports: Georgia Tech's Johnson to retire

 

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is retiring, according to multiple reports.

Bill Shanks of 93.1 FM radio in Macon, Ga., first reported the news which was later confirmed by The Athletic Atlanta.

Johnson, 61, is in his 22nd season as a head coach and his 11th as the head coach at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets just finished a 7-5 regular season with a 45-21 loss to rival Georgia in Athens, Ga

Kirby made him quit lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

This is complete speculation as far as I know but I've heard several people suggesting that these negotiations at Auburn could be to lower the buyout on Malzahn's side so can find a job elsewhere. If he leaves, he owes the University money. I know a lot of times the other school will pay part or all of the buyout so that part seems a little strange but overall it makes more sense than the alternative. Again, no credible source on this but interesting either way.

It's certainly a possibility and why I mentioned it being one thing when both parties realize it's time to move on. Would certainly be in both Auburn and Gus's best interests to renegotiate if Auburn is wanting him gone and Gus is wanting to take another job right away. What we know is bizarre though. Gus is basically taking less money to not get fired now and agreeing to make the school's financial responsibility for any staff changes zero. 

That's so dysfunctional it's absurd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...