Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Carter said:

You’re right. I went back to the story and Saban was advised against it on the grounds you stated. There was a new bylaw at the time that now requires schools to consult the SEC office regarding coaching candidates that have engaged in unethical conduct as defined by the NCAA. University presidents would have to appeal to the commissioner with good reason for the hire to be given a thumbs up from the league office.

I think that change was made more in regard to the basketball scandals, but was applied to this particular instance with Freeze. 

I think Freeze is a great OC. Would not be thrilled for him to be designing/calling UT’s offense. 

I don't want to see Freeze anywhere in the SEC. Hes a threat anywhere he goes. 

Edited by UAB_DAWG
Carter likes this

Dana Holgorsen reportedly expressed interest in Texas Tech but the school didn't reach out.

Matt Wells will bring his OC David Yost with him. Yost is very up tempo and he learned his offense from? Mike Leach. He also spent time Oregon learning the spread option. Texas Tech will keep its pass first attack but Yost's offense is basically a combo of Leach and Chip Kelly. USU averaged almost 50 points a game this year. 

4 hours ago, RandomFan said:

If GT does indeed want to hire someone with NFL experience, then connecting the dots should mean they will no longer be running the triple option.  

EDIT: and to make matters more hilarious, I read thru some of the comments on the Whiz tweet, and there are many GT fans in there that think he would be a bad hire and is beneath them. Like, WTF? :yikes:There is delusional, and then there is DELUSIONAL... If they could somehow hoodwink Whiz into taking that job it would be by far the best candidate they could land. 

Exactly. Whiz would be the best they could get to take that job. They don't realize that they'll never compete with Georgia in football. They better be happy and hope they get to where 8/9 wins a year is doable because that's the best they'll ever do going HTH against Georgia in recruiting. They also better be thankful they're in the ACC.

8 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Dana Holgorsen reportedly expressed interest in Texas Tech but the school didn't reach out.

Matt Wells will bring his OC David Yost with him. Yost is very up tempo and he learned his offense from? Mike Leach. He also spent time Oregon learning the spread option. Texas Tech will keep its pass first attack but Yost's offense is basically a combo of Leach and Chip Kelly. USU averaged almost 50 points a game this year. 

Are you sure Yost learned his O from Leach?  He spent 17 years at Mizzou with Pinkle.

22 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Are you sure Yost learned his O from Leach?  He spent 17 years at Mizzou with Pinkle.

He spent 3 years with Leach. He credited Pinkel and Oregon for him learning about the spread option. He credited Leach for his pass first offensive attack. He just added elements of what he learned from Pinkel.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Shark enthusiast and former Florida HC Jim McElwain is the leader to be the next HC at Central Michigan. McElwain is currently coaching WR for Jim Harbaugh. 

Bill Snyder is leaning toward retirement. 

Ryan Day will get a big raise in a new contract to stay at Ohio State. Day will reportedly get an "understanding" that he will he the next HC at Ohio State. Urban has reportedly told the AD he isn't sure he'll return and if he does it will be for just 1 season.

4 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

giphy.gif

I should add the reports are conflicting. We know he interviewed. Some say it's done, some say both sides are still deciding. 

23 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Reports that Hugh Freeze and Tennessee have a deal. 

Interesting. Local radio is saying he's close to going to Auburn and they will allow Freeze to hire his own offensive staff. 

If that doesn't scream Malzahn is a lame duck, I don't know what does. 

24 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ryan Day will get a big raise in a new contract to stay at Ohio State. Day will reportedly get an "understanding" that he will he the next HC at Ohio State. Urban has reportedly told the AD he isn't sure he'll return and if he does it will be for just 1 season.

Interesting. 

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

53 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I watched an interview where it was strongly implied that Meyer was close to walking away from football.  

Edited by frankly88

Can't remember his name right now, but the former coach at USF, what did he do that was "so bad and so much worse than any other coach" that he hasn't ever gotten another HC job? He took USF from nothing into a legit top 10 team and then something happened that cost him his job and he's never gotten another chance and I just don't get it with some of the other guys that have been given multiple chances.

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Interesting. Local radio is saying he's close to going to Auburn and they will allow Freeze to hire his own offensive staff. 

If that doesn't scream Malzahn is a lame duck, I don't know what does. 

I know someone who's a major Auburn fan who wants to punch Freeze in the face every time he sees him. LOL!!

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Can't remember his name right now, but the former coach at USF, what did he do that was "so bad and so much worse than any other coach" that he hasn't ever gotten another HC job? He took USF from nothing into a legit top 10 team and then something happened that cost him his job and he's never gotten another chance and I just don't get it with some of the other guys that have been given multiple chances.

Jim Leavitt?

TAMPA, Fla. -- South Florida fired football coach Jim Leavitt after a school investigation concluded he grabbed one of his players by the throat, slapped him in the face and then lied about it.

A letter hand-delivered to the coach and released along with a report on the three-week probe said the university's findings were based on "independently corroborated statements of persons found to be in the best position to observe your conduct."

"Coach Leavitt committed a serious violation of our standards of conduct regarding treatment of students," university president Judy Genshaft said Friday, adding a national search for a replacement will begin immediately.

Reached by telephone, the only coach in the program's 13-year history told The Associated Press he was "disappointed" and the allegation was "absolutely false."

Leavitt told investigators he has never struck a player and that he was trying to lift the spirits of a player who was "down" when he grabbed the player's shoulder pads during halftime of a game against Louisville on Nov. 21.

But the letter athletic director Doug Woolard presented to Leavitt during a meeting with Genshaft informed the coach "your description of your conduct toward the student athlete in question was consistently uncorroborated by credible witnesses."

The school also concluded Leavitt interfered with the investigation by having "direct contact with material witnesses ... at a time you knew or should have known was critical to the review process."

Leavitt, who was 95-57, just completed the second season of a seven-year, $12.6 million contract.

"I truly wish there had been another outcome to this situation," Woolard said during a news conference Friday.

Before Leavitt's firing was announced, a USF staff member told ESPN's Joe Schad that the entire coaching staff would be fired. However, the university said coaches have been told it would be up to Leavitt's successor to decide whether they will be retained.

Genshaft and Woolard launched the investigation last month after an AOL FanHouse report said Leavitt had grabbed sophomore Joel Miller and hit him in the face twice during halftime of the Louisville game.

Miller was penalized for an illegal block in the first half, and he also was on the field when Louisville returned a punt for a touchdown.

"I'm very disappointed. The allegations as reported are absolutely false," Leavitt said Friday. "I'm going to respond in time."

Miller told Schad that he would have no comment about Leavitt's firing but that he planned to release a statement in the coming days. In an interview last month, Miller said he plans to remain with South Florida's program.

"It's been real hard especially on my family," Miller said at the time. "But my plan is to stay and play here."

Citing Miller's father, a high school coach and five USF players who were not identified, FanHouse initially reported Leavitt struck Miller because he was upset about a mistake Miller made on special teams.

Miller's father later backtracked, telling reporters Leavitt did not strike his son but rather grabbed him by the shoulder pads while trying to motivate the sophomore walk-on.

Neither Genshaft nor Woolard took questions, and specifics about Leavitt's dismissal were not discussed during the news conference.

Investigators talked to several players, who were not identified by name and who either witnessed the alleged incident or were told of it by a player referred to in the report as "Student A."

The report said during an initial interview with investigators that "Student A" tried to play down the incident, saying the coach grabbed his shoulder pads and "didn't touch me in any malicious way."

The investigation concluded differently.

In his letter to Leavitt, Woolard said the athlete's statements after the probe began "are unpersuasive because they were contradicted by the same student athlete in his conversations with credible witnesses made close in time to when that conduct occurred."

Leavitt was hired in December 1995 and launched USF's program from scratch, operating out of trailers on campus in the early years while guiding the Bulls' swift progression from Division I-AA to BCS conference member.

USF joined the Big East in 2005 and has played in a bowl game every year since joining the league. The Bulls were ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation in 2007 before a midseason conference slide dropped them out of the Top 25.

Similar collapses in conference play followed 5-0 starts each of the past two years. The Bulls finished 8-5 this season.

Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney, former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville -- who has strong ties in the state from his tenure on Miami's coaching staff -- and Michigan offensive coordinator Calvin Magee are expected to be candidates to replace Leavitt, a source told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel.

Falconsfan567 likes this

According to 247sports.com, Coach Tucker is a strong candidate for the Colorado HC job. Selfishly I hope he stays, but if not, I wish him all the best. Also glad it's not a job in the SEC.

27 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Jim Leavitt?

Yep. Thanks for that info. Exactly what I thought, not nearly that big of a deal and yet he's never gotten another shot while others who've done much worse have gotten multiple chances.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Thanks for that info. Exactly what I thought, not nearly that big of a deal and yet he's never gotten another shot while others who've done much worse have gotten multiple chances.

Leavitt is also apparently a strong candidate for the Colorado HC job.

1 hour ago, RedandBlack4Life! said:

Leavitt is also apparently a strong candidate for the Colorado HC job.

He should be the next HC at Kansas State. Snyder is about to retire and Leavitt is a KSU guy through and through. Unless Snyder convinces them to hire his son I think Leavitt is the no brainer.

Falconsfan567 likes this

27 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

He should be the next HC at Kansas State. Snyder is about to retire and Leavitt is a KSU guy through and through. Unless Snyder convinces them to hire his son I think Leavitt is the no brainer.

That would be great for them!!