Unknøwn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

so he brought him back only to fire him to save his retirement..  threatened by who?  you have a link showing all of this?  I would love to read it. 

This is what I read. It was in the Washington Post.

Link

10 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Unknown reported a couple pages back that Colorado had fired him. 

Yeah, ok. I hadn't been keeping up with this thread. Sucks for Colorado because it looked like he had turned them around.

95Dawg likes this

Speaking of Colorado, they're reportedly interested in Derek Mason. He was asked about it and didnt deny it, just said it wouldnt be fair to the team to comment now.

16 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Speaking of Colorado, they're reportedly interested in Derek Mason. He was asked about it and didnt deny it, just said it wouldnt be fair to the team to comment now.

That would be coup for them if they can pull it off.

8 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Seems like the Auburn fans want blood.  I still can't believe the contract they gave Gus, with how little he has done there.

Auburn had a couple of freakishly good seasons w/ Cam and Nick Marshall where a lot went their way - with crap seasons thereafter.   Was it only one season after the Natty that Chizik got fired?  That is probably the quickest fall from grace ever.

Brohm met with Louisville's AD yesterday. Decision could come today, Purdue feels Brohm isn't comfortable with the offer to completely rebuild Louisville. Thus the Boilermakers feel they won't need a new HC.

Apparently Auburn and Gus are close to coming to terms to a reduced buyout and restrictions on firing/hiring new coaches for Gus to remain at Auburn one more year. If you have any free time today do yourself a favor and head on over to an Auburn board to enjoy the meltdown.

2 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Apparently Auburn and Gus are close to coming to terms to a reduced buyout and restrictions on firing/hiring new coaches for Gus to remain at Auburn one more year. If you have any free time today do yourself a favor and head on over to an Auburn board to enjoy the meltdown.

That's just a disaster. Go ahead and fire him, that's better than trying to go through a recruiting cycle with a lame duck.

g-dawg, VA F.O., frankly88 and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

That's just a disaster. Go ahead and fire him, that's better than trying to go through a recruiting cycle with a lame duck.

Yea I'm really struggling to see the sense in all of this other than Gus really loves being at Auburn and thinks Auburn is his best chance to win a NC. He must think they will be in contention next year. Maybe Gus knows something about potential QB transfers that nobody else does (ie. Bryant or Hurts). I don't see Stidham sticking around next year. He hasn't shown much interest in his team or winning/losing all year. Auburn was just a stop on the road for him.

The part that makes the least sense is Gus's buyout drops to $25 mil after December so why go through this anyways unless they are cutting the buyout substantially less than that. He already had a vote of confidence from the AD and things seemed to have settled down. This is a lot of bad press just to keep the status quo.

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Two recruiting cycles really. Accepting a reduced buyout and changing the terms to where Gus himself has to pay the buyout for any assistants he wants to dismiss, just to stay one more year? I don't know why on Earth Gus would accept that deal. Auburn is on the hook for 25-30 million, like 6 more years of guaranteed money... Gus has all the leverage.

The only way this makes sense is if Gus knows he would be fired now regardless of the buyout and doesn't think he would get hired for a decent job anywhere else. Either that or maybe he thinks things went sideways this season and he can do better next year and roll that over into a more favorable situation for himself.

Bizarre.

Gus must really want to stay. I don't know why. He's not wanted anymore and he could get another job at a smaller school or an OC job somewhere. Les Miles is looking for a spread OC.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gus must really want to stay. I don't know why. He's not wanted anymore and he could get another job at a smaller school or an OC job somewhere. Les Miles is looking for a spread OC.

Are these reports to be believed?  Where’s this coming from?  Link a guy up, please.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Are these reports to be believed?  Where’s this coming from?  Link a guy up, please.

Its being reported by Philip Marshall and Brandon Marcello among others. I've been following the 247 thread that Unknown posted.

It's also all over local radio in Birmingham.

Edited by UAB_DAWG

I didn't think Auburn could outdo giving Gus a 7 year, $49 million contract after last year... then they come along with this. Negotiating a reduced buyout between two parties that recognize it's time to move in a different direction would be one thing. This basically cripples the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes for Auburn and kills the motivation for staff and players going forward.

Notice Auburn has to protect their ability to control the assistant coaches on staff by contractually handcuffing Gus on those buyouts. Smh. I don't know why any serious head coach would take that job, there's way too many chiefs trying to make the decisions and not enough indians executing the plan.

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

I didn't think Auburn could outdo giving Gus a 7 year, $49 million contract after last year... then they come along with this. Negotiating a reduced buyout between two parties that recognize it's time to move in a different direction would be one thing. This basically cripples the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes for Auburn and kills the motivation for staff and players going forward.

Notice Auburn has to protect their ability to control the assistant coaches on staff by contractually handcuffing Gus on those buyouts. Smh. I don't know why any serious head coach would take that job, there's way too many chiefs trying to make the decisions and not enough indians executing the plan.

This whole thing is a stinky fish. The AD is not at all involved in any negotiations from what I understand (and I wouldn't be if I were him). This is all the President and the BOT member who were responsible for Gus's contract extension. On top of that the President got on a plane for DC and left all the negotiations to the BOT member.

Reports: Georgia Tech's Johnson to retire

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is retiring, according to multiple reports.

Bill Shanks of 93.1 FM radio in Macon, Ga., first reported the news which was later confirmed by The Athletic Atlanta.

Johnson, 61, is in his 22nd season as a head coach and his 11th as the head coach at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets just finished a 7-5 regular season with a 45-21 loss to rival Georgia in Athens, Ga

This is complete speculation as far as I know but I've heard several people suggesting that these negotiations at Auburn could be to lower the buyout on Malzahn's side so can find a job elsewhere. If he leaves, he owes the University money. I know a lot of times the other school will pay part or all of the buyout so that part seems a little strange but overall it makes more sense than the alternative. Again, no credible source on this but interesting either way.

16 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Reports: Georgia Tech's Johnson to retire

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is retiring, according to multiple reports.

Bill Shanks of 93.1 FM radio in Macon, Ga., first reported the news which was later confirmed by The Athletic Atlanta.

Johnson, 61, is in his 22nd season as a head coach and his 11th as the head coach at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets just finished a 7-5 regular season with a 45-21 loss to rival Georgia in Athens, Ga

Kirby made him quit lol

fibonaccisquared and Carter like this

3 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

This is complete speculation as far as I know but I've heard several people suggesting that these negotiations at Auburn could be to lower the buyout on Malzahn's side so can find a job elsewhere. If he leaves, he owes the University money. I know a lot of times the other school will pay part or all of the buyout so that part seems a little strange but overall it makes more sense than the alternative. Again, no credible source on this but interesting either way.

It's certainly a possibility and why I mentioned it being one thing when both parties realize it's time to move on. Would certainly be in both Auburn and Gus's best interests to renegotiate if Auburn is wanting him gone and Gus is wanting to take another job right away. What we know is bizarre though. Gus is basically taking less money to not get fired now and agreeing to make the school's financial responsibility for any staff changes zero. 

That's so dysfunctional it's absurd.