Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,307 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 007dawg said:

To be announced on signing day or shortly afterwards is what I have heard

I think it may take a bit longer.. kirby isn't meeting with the press on NSD and I think a lot of it is due to not wanting to answer DC questions among other things..   

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I think it may take a bit longer.. kirby isn't meeting with the press on NSD and I think a lot of it is due to not wanting to answer DC questions among other things..   

Yeah, you are right about CKS not wanting to answer the DC question cause you know it will be the first question if there is a PC.  I also heard he may wait and see how Spring practice goes before deciding who to give the title(s) to. 

I’m not sure I would jump on that grenade for a man who covered up multiple rapes.  He may not have committed a crime it’s disgusting what he did.  

Scratch that, no way in heck would I battle for him.  Especially against the president of my university who determines my job security.

A&M DC Mike Elko and Todd Grantham have been contacted by the Bengals about their DC vacancy. Cincy is trying to set up interviews with both.

13 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

A&M DC Mike Elko and Todd Grantham have been contacted by the Bengals about their DC vacancy. Cincy is trying to set up interviews with both.

interesting.. a&m can't lose elko.. he is huge for them.. florida.. hahahaha

Todd Grantham is the favorite to be the next DC of the Bengals. Cincy has submitted an official interview request. Its expected to be granted.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Todd Grantham is the favorite to be the next DC of the Bengals. Cincy has submitted an official interview request. Its expected to be granted.

He’s really not bad, he’s just a lot better suited to the NFL level imo. His schemes are very technical and he refuses to simplify it for college, which is really a necessity to a degree with the limited time coaches get with players in college. NFL has no time limits and guys are generally much further along in their development and understanding of the game. I think he will do well.

Not excited about Florida hiring someone better. Grantham is also fairly predictable. Maybe because he limits himself so much through stubbornness. UGA has pretty much abused his defenses since he left.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:34 AM, Unkn0wn said:

Michigan OC Pep Hamilton left the program to become HC of the XFL franchise in DC.

Did you guys hear about Bob Stoops being hired as HC of the Dallas XFL team?

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Did you guys hear about Bob Stoops being hired as HC of the Dallas XFL team?

Bob “I won’t coach again” Stoops is coaching again? No waaaaay :lol: 

50 minutes ago, Carter said:

Bob “I won’t coach again” Stoops is coaching again? No waaaaay :lol: 

To be fair to the guy, I am pretty sure he was referring specifically to college football and the associated stresses (it is a 24/7/365 job)... I can't imagine coaching in the XFL is going to have the same stress level.

6 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

To be fair to the guy, I am pretty sure he was referring specifically to college football and the associated stresses (it is a 24/7/365 job)... I can't imagine coaching in the XFL is going to have the same stress level.

I believe his exact quote included “college or pro” if I’m not mistaken. No one believed it though and this is why lol

fibonaccisquared likes this

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I believe his exact quote included “college or pro” if I’m not mistaken. No one believed it though and this is why lol

Fair enough... didn't remember that. Sure enough:

The former Oklahoma coach, who retired in June, made it clear Monday that his retirement is permanent.

"I will say, regardless of what you might hear out there in the papers, if I intended again to coach that would have been part of my statement," Stoops said Monday at the Atlanta Touchdown Club. "I would have said I'm stepping away here now for this time for myself, but when it comes to the next year or two, I look forward to getting back in it.

"But that's not what I said. You won't see me on a college sideline or a pro sideline. A lot of people act like they know, and there will be more than a few jobs out there. But that isn't at all what I'm looking to do."

If we want to still be technical about it. At the time that statement was made (2017), pro only consisted of NFL. He is technically not going to be on a sideline of a college or pro team that existed at the time... :lol: But yeah... clearly does not compute with what he shared previously.

Carter likes this

Grantham is still in Bengals facilities this morning. They are likely hammering out contract details. Grantham is of course making over $1M a year at Florida. Assistant coaches make way more in college than the NFL.

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Grantham is still in Bengals facilities this morning. They are likely hammering out contract details. Grantham is of course making over $1M a year at Florida. Assistant coaches make way more in college than the NFL.

Dammit man!!!!

Surprising, but as others have said I'm glad he stayed -- he's our whipping boy. 

But it is surprising since NFL coaches make more money and also don't have to worry about recruiting. I'd guess college coaches work just as many hours, if not more, than NFL coaches. Plus in the NFL you actually get to coach professional adults, not kids that often need to be de-recruited. 

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Surprising, but as others have said I'm glad he stayed -- he's our whipping boy. 

But it is surprising since NFL coaches make more money and also don't have to worry about recruiting. I'd guess college coaches work just as many hours, if not more, than NFL coaches. Plus in the NFL you actually get to coach professional adults, not kids that often need to be de-recruited. 

Yea but I think Grantham is way overpaid. The average DC salary in the NFL is like half million or .maybe a little more. He makes a million per now. I assume Cleveland offered less.

2 hours ago, Dawggone said:

Yea but I think Grantham is way overpaid. The average DC salary in the NFL is like half million or .maybe a little more. He makes a million per now. I assume Cleveland offered less.

Grantham makes almost 1.4 million per year at UF. They are paying through the nose for him. This past season I think the average salary for defensive coordinators in the NFL was about $800k. That number is going up over time, but typically the only coordinators in the NFL who get a million or more are major, proven commodities. There is no way a GM is offering Grantham much more than the average.

I remember reading an article not too long ago that said there are only like 7 coordinators in the whole NFL that make a milli plus.

College and NFL coaching jobs are different beasts in many ways. NCAA time restrictions present challenges that just don’t exist at the NFL level. There are also more games and no cupcakes in the league. I would say the pure coaching workload is far more in the NFL. Where college kinda tips the scales is in recruiting, which is a whole other monster unto itself that the NFL doesn’t deal with. However, recruiting is mostly a sales job of sorts and I think every school has not only dedicated recruiting coordinators but “on field” coaches that actually focus primarily on recruiting... and coordinators in college typically are not primary recruiters. There are exceptions of course.

But yeah... no reason to drop a $1.4 million salary job coordinating at UF, for a $800-900k salary job coordinating in Cincinnati. Grantham is respected by many in the NFL and clearly he can afford to be picky about when/if he jumps back to the league.