Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,307 posts in this topic

I think it's pretty funny about all the fans complaining about not being more in the loop, as it relates to these coaching hires.  I understand wanting to know what's going on, but I have all the confidence that Kirby is handling this exactly as he should be.  

95Dawg, Bdawg58, sdogg and 1 other like this

13 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I think it's pretty funny about all the fans complaining about not being more in the loop, as it relates to these coaching hires.  I understand wanting to know what's going on, but I have all the confidence that Kirby is handling this exactly as he should be.  

At the end of the day though, the strongest rumors out there have been proven to be true..so can they really complain about that?

The silence is pretty frustrating as a fan but I've got mad respect for how Kirby is handling the staff search for defensive coaches. He's making connects and doing his due diligence. I hope he gave the same care to the offensive side with Coley. 

I also like promoting from within when appropriate. It makes it easier to get a kid to buy into the program when even if a coach leaves, the philosophies will stay the same so a kid doesn't have to worry about being pushed to the side if their skill set doesn't fit a new coordinator or coach. 

sdogg and g-dawg like this

4 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

The silence is pretty frustrating as a fan but I've got mad respect for how Kirby is handling the staff search for defensive coaches. He's making connects and doing his due diligence. I hope he gave the same care to the offensive side with Coley. 

I also like promoting from within when appropriate. It makes it easier to get a kid to buy into the program when even if a coach leaves, the philosophies will stay the same so a kid doesn't have to worry about being pushed to the side if their skill set doesn't fit a new coordinator or coach. 

Yeah, don’t really think anyone is complaining just wanting to see what happens sooner rather than later.   Kirby’s initial staff was a homerun and no reason to think the new hires won’t be great as well.

It does seem like Kirby is nailing down all the initial hires with even more loyalty be promoting from within.  Maybe Coley, Schumann and Lanning or at least two of them will stick around for awhile.

All of the recruits the last two years should be mostly happy.  While Mel Tucker will be missed I don’t believe offensive recruits too upset about Chaney leaving.

Would be nice to have some coaching continuity for awhile like Dabo enjoys at Clemson.  I believe that was a huge advantage in the Natty this year.

35 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Would be nice to have some coaching continuity for awhile like Dabo enjoys at Clemson.  I believe that was a huge advantage in the Natty this year.

Yeah....  Venables being content to just stay as the DC at Clemson is truly invaluable to Dabo and that program.  Wondering just how much longer that lasts... because it long ago passed being "normal" for a coach so well respected as Venables.

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Yeah....  Venables being content to just stay as the DC at Clemson is truly invaluable to Dabo and that program.  Wondering just how much longer that lasts... because it long ago passed being "normal" for a coach so well respected as Venables.

Yeah, will be harder for Dawgs to keep our guys.   One of the downsides to having young assistants who are also ace recruiters is they are always gonna be targets for other teams.  The good news is UGA is already paying most of these guys at the top of the market for position coaches and coordinators.

14 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

It's very situational.  Not all coaches aspire to be a hc.  I agree, it is becoming less common to see oc/dc's sticking around for too long, especially if they can move up.  I think with the amount of money that oc's and dc's are getting right now, actually could keep more of them on staff for a longer period of time, especially at the schools that can afford to pay it.

Edited by Turkeydawg

48 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, don’t really think anyone is complaining just wanting to see what happens sooner rather than later.   Kirby’s initial staff was a homerun and no reason to think the new hires won’t be great as well.

It does seem like Kirby is nailing down all the initial hires with even more loyalty be promoting from within.  Maybe Coley, Schumann and Lanning or at least two of them will stick around for awhile.

All of the recruits the last two years should be mostly happy.  While Mel Tucker will be missed I don’t believe offensive recruits too upset about Chaney leaving.

Saban always seems to promote from within if possible.  That way, even though you lose coaches, you keep a certain level of continuity. Kirby appears to be doing likewise.  Wouldn't surprise me to see an analyst like Rambo get the DB job.  

g-dawg likes this

21 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Saban always seems to promote from within if possible.  That way, even though you lose coaches, you keep a certain level of continuity. Kirby appears to be doing likewise.  Wouldn't surprise me to see an analyst like Rambo get the DB job.  

That's certainly possible, and he seems to be more involved in recruiting.  

Venables is content as a DC because he loves Clemson, he has a great thing going and a huge payday. If Bama was to pull Dabo after Saban retires that's the only way I could see Venables taking a promotion. He was at Oklahoma for 13 years, the guy just doesnt bounce around. Hes as loyal as it gets and a rare breed in todays coaching world.

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Venables is content as a DC because he loves Clemson, he has a great thing going and a huge payday. If Bama was to pull Dabo after Saban retires that's the only way I could see Venables taking a promotion. He was at Oklahoma for 13 years, the guy just doesnt  once around. Hes loyal. 

Many thought Kirby was content too

I'm sure Venables would be willing to take a HC job if it was right, but he's got such a great situation right now, that there's no reason to go unless it's the perfect fit

ECDawg78 likes this

12 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I'm sure Venables would be willing to take a HC job if it was right, but he's got such a great situation right now, that there's no reason to go unless it's the perfect fit

Kirby was waiting for the perfect job - when UGA boosters got wind that Kirby might settle for South Carolina - they made the perfect job open :D

sdogg likes this

2 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I'm sure theres a few jobs but not many. Missouri was interested back when they hired Odom but he never got involved. He simply said he has it all now, why risk it

19 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

I’m hearing this is not over.  The guy that told me Coley OC and Raymond DC still says Raymond will be our DC

Tons of speculation. I don’t know that anyone has a real grip on what’s happening lol. Kirby has kept a pretty tight lid on this one. But that would not surprise me at all. I think Kirby wants Raymond on staff pretty badly. But we don’t know who else he has talked to or might offer so we’ll see.

32 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

I’m hearing this is not over.  The guy that told me Coley OC and Raymond DC still says Raymond will be our DC

It's not over, as in no offer has gone out to any of the candidates.  Kirby is waiting to interview all of them before offering anyone.  If Raymond is the guy, it still sounds like he would be coming in as a position coach, not the dc.

I'd be very surprised if we gave full DC duties to someone who has zero experience in our scheme, and whose only DC experience is 2 years at the HS level over a decade ago

g-dawg likes this

It takes 2 years to learn kirby's system.  i don't see how anyone who is not familiar with his sytem can run it unless it's a codc role with lanning/schumann and raymond.  i don't see anyway we hire an only outside dc.  

If we hire Raymond I would guess it's at least a co-DC role. It would have to be to pry him away from his LSU home. But I could definitely envision Raymond as DC with Lanning as co-DC to help Raymond with Kirby's scheme.  

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

If we hire Raymond I would guess it's at least a co-DC role. It would have to be to pry him away from his LSU home. But I could definitely envision Raymond as DC with Lanning as co-DC to help Raymond with Kirby's scheme.  

Schumann has far more experience and knowledge of this scheme than Lanning does

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

Schumann has far more experience and knowledge of this scheme than Lanning does

Insiders are mostly all saying if it's an internal promotion to DC it will be Lanning. :shrug:

5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Insiders are mostly all saying if it's an internal promotion to DC it will be Lanning. :shrug:

Why? I'm serious here

Schumann took an on field coaching job for the first time the same year as Lanning, and has 2 more years experience in our system on top of being intimately involved in the defensive gameplanning since back at Alabama reportedly more than anyone else under Kirby.

I don't get it, really. Is it because he's older?

Neither have actual DC/playcalling experience  

Edited by VA F.O.

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Why? I'm serious here

Schumann took an on field coaching job for the first time the same year as Lanning, and has 2 more years experience in our system on top of being intimately involved in the defensive gameplanning since back at Alabama reportedly more than anyone else under Kirby.

I don't get it, really. Is it because he's older?

Neither have actual DC/playcalling experience  

Because that's what they are hearing. I guess we'll see if they are correct.