Unknøwn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

So if we haven’t contacted Ansley, do we do so now?

If DC or Co-DC not on the table, then chances for a big splash hire go way down.

We are saving all this money after losing both coordinators but seems only spending on raises for current staff.

39 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So if we haven’t contacted Ansley, do we do so now?

If DC or Co-DC not on the table, then chances for a big splash hire go way down.

We are saving all this money after losing both coordinators but seems only spending on raises for current staff.

Trust Kirby, as Americus is fond of saying. 

Per LSU beat writer: 

Raymond interviewed with Georgia. Apparently it went “very well”. No offers have been made. UGA has one more candidate to interview in person and then will make a decision/offer.

Quite a few credible folks are now saying that reports of him “deciding to stay at a LSU” were premature. 

Sounds like offer may or may not happen, but not likely to go out until tomorrow. 

Edited by RandomFan
Carter and mike teevee like this

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Why do you hate yourself and everything else so much? You're the whiniest, angriest, most negative person I've ever seen post, anywhere. 

I'm neither any of those things... well maybe negative.... I just don't waste my energy on rumors anymore.

My only concern for promoting from within on the defensive side is how inexperienced our defensive staff really is. This is Schumann’s first on field position. Lanning was a graduate assistant at Alabama and a few other schools prior to us hiring him away from Memphis, where he was a LB coach and recruiting coordinator for 2 years. Scott has been an on field coach since 2013.

If we name Lanning DC, he will have had a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks going from GA in 2015 to UGA defensive coordinator in 3 years. Schumann has basically the same years of experience. Either of those guys may be that sharp and deserving, I’m not trying to make any case against them. It’s just unsettling if that’s what happens. Kirby will have to have his hands all over the defense.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Trust Kirby, as Americus is fond of saying. 

This makes more sense to me after seeing that those couple players were posting on social media about Raymond. It seemed like things went pretty well to me, so I was surprised when the turned down and no offer news first broke out. 

Edited by mike teevee

2 hours ago, Carter said:

I think Raymond is only leaving LSU for a promotion, not a lateral move even for more money. Maybe Kirby was not trying to bring him on as DC?

If Kirby announces Lanning as DC or Lanning/Schumann as co-DC then I think it’s pretty clear that Kirby might prefer to bring his coordinators up from internal development for continuity purposes.

yep raymond wanted the cd-dc title.. it's something he will not get a LSU and it seems that Kirby is only interviewing DB coaches and has his dc already on staff.  kirby though isn't going to offer a job to anyone until he is done interviewing.  raymond may not want to wait.  

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep raymond wanted the cd-dc title.. it's something he will not get a LSU and it seems that Kirby is only interviewing DB coaches and has his dc already on staff.  kirby though isn't going to offer a job to anyone until he is done interviewing.  raymond may not want to wait.  

So the million dollar question is who else is Kirby interviewing?

1 hour ago, Carter said:

My only concern for promoting from within on the defensive side is how inexperienced our defensive staff really is. This is Schumann’s first on field position. Lanning was a graduate assistant at Alabama and a few other schools prior to us hiring him away from Memphis, where he was a LB coach and recruiting coordinator for 2 years. Scott has been an on field coach since 2013.

If we name Lanning DC, he will have had a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks going from GA in 2015 to UGA defensive coordinator in 3 years. Schumann has basically the same years of experience. Either of those guys may be that sharp and deserving, I’m not trying to make any case against them. It’s just unsettling if that’s what happens. Kirby will have to have his hands all over the defense.

which might not be a bad thing to be honest.. it's what saban did with kirby.  in 2005 kirby was an rb coach.. in 2006 kirby coached safeties, dbs in 2007, and DC in 2008..  kirby was never a dc before saban promoted him.  kirby is going to be very involved in the defense as he should with lanning, but schumann and lanning are awesome and very intelligent.  i said before it might not be a bad thing.. he will be very busy with the defense hopefully leaving coley to the offense.. lol 

Just now, g-dawg said:

So the million dollar question is who else is Kirby interviewing?

winner winner chicken dinner.. i saw one report that said UGA had over 4 candidates they were interviewing for the db job and it included a few nfl guys..  we know mcgriff is one, raymond is another, and then no idea. 

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

which might not be a bad thing to be honest.. it's what saban did with kirby.  in 2005 kirby was an rb coach.. in 2006 kirby coached safeties, dbs in 2007, and DC in 2008..  kirby was never a dc before saban promoted him.  kirby is going to be very involved in the defense as he should with lanning, but schumann and lanning are awesome and very intelligent.  i said before it might not be a bad thing.. he will be very busy with the defense hopefully leaving coley to the offense.. lol 

Kirby was the DC at Valdosta St in 2001, after coaching DBs there the year before

5 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Kirby was the DC at Valdosta St in 2001, after coaching DBs there the year before

yeah you are right 1 year..  still very inexperienced. 

I'm honestly confused with how most seem to think that Lanning is somehow more qualified for the spot than Schumann. Sure Lanning is roughly 4 years older, but Schumann has the same number years experience as an on field coach than he does, and 2 more years experience in the system. Plus, all reports are that, dating even back to when he was a GA at Alabama, Schumann has been Kirby's right hand man, and was the guy Kirby trusted to write up the gameplans for him, and was supposedly intimately involved in defensive gameplanning at UGA as well.

If anyone on the inside was going to become DC, I'd have to think it would be Schumann.

Edited by VA F.O.

7 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I'm honestly confused with how most seem to think that Lanning is somehow more qualified for the spot than Schumann. Sure Lanning is roughly 4 years older, but Schumann has 1 more year experience as an on field coach than he does, and 2 more years experience in the system. Plus, all reports are that, dating even back to when he was a GA at Alabama, Schumann has been Kirby's right hand man, and was the guy Kirby trusted to write up the gameplans for him, and was supposedly intimately involved in defensive gameplanning at UGA as well.

If anyone on the inside was going to become DC, I'd have to think it would be Schumann.

i think it's a co-dc role for schumann and lanning.  I just think there are some who know a lot about lanning and schumann who feel he will get the play calling duties, but both guys will be very involved in the defensive gameplan.. that is what schumann was known for at Bama as you know.. he was in an off the field support position and he was one of the most impt people when it comes to designing the upcoming defensive gameplan.  i think that's why the co-dc thing isn't being offered to any db coach.  

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I guess we will see if he gets the offer. If LSU announces he’s extended with a raise then I guess we have our answer on Raymond. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yeah I don’t hate the idea, just somewhat troubled with Kirby being a new head coach still with lessons to learn from his successes and failures in that area. I think his game management and decisions in both games against Bama so far went a long way in the outcome of those games. Saban was like 13-14 years deep into his head coaching career with deep mentoring from Bill Belichick when he made Kirby his DC. I just hope he’s ready for what that kind of setup would entail because I think he made a smart decision hiring Mel Tucker to begin with, a very experienced coach he didn’t need to micromanage.

I do love it that Kirby seems to have a philosophy of developing his staff, cross training in certain areas, pushing recruiting and seems to have a knack for finding these sharp younger guys with solid potential. Raymond fits the mold and I bet Kirby really wants him on staff. The upward mobility may not be there for him at LSU or UGA for a while, but adding DB coach at UGA to his resume can really do nothing but benefit his career.

I’m hearing Bacarri Rambo is really impressing folks as well in whatever interim duties he’s carrying out.

If Kirby is only interviewing for the DB position and not DC or Co-DC, then why doesn’t he just announce the internal DC?

It could be that Kirby is meeting with all the people and then deciding what roles he wants to offer. He could end up offering Raymond DB and co-DC. He'd also have to decide who the play caller will be of course.

Wouldn't be surprised if CKS interviews Marquand Manuel.  Kirby and DQ are tight.  I think DQ was forced to fire Manuel by Blank.

Edited by 007dawg

45 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It could be that Kirby is meeting with all the people and then deciding what roles he wants to offer. 

Yep.