Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,210 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I thought we were interviewing folks this weekend?  Guess not.

Coley was always going to be the guy. It’s like coaching searches and the Rooney rule in the NFL... sure, teams will interview guys, interview a minority candidate, but they usually already have their guy picked out. Sometimes there is an actual coaching search. It’s rare though. 

Kirby loves his recruiting and his personality. Players love Coley. Unfortunately there’s a lot more to being a good OC than being a great recruiter with a good personality.

Hope the guy picked up a thing or two in between Miami and now. I don’t expect we will win championships with Coley at OC judging from his track record. Hopefully he does a whole lot better.

34 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Feels like Kirby kicked the tires around just to say he did. And then hired Coley. I'll be surprised if things change

Kirby basically talked to other oc candidates to see if they could convince him that they were better than coley and it was obvious no one did.  coley wants to run a faster pace offense which matches what fromm wants to do as well.. sounds like kirby is going to let him open things up.. tonight's visit with pickens is huge!!

2 hours ago, sdogg said:

Enos to Miami as OC

GREAT hire for them.. Manny hit the jackpot there. 

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

Coley was always going to be the guy. It’s like coaching searches and the Rooney rule in the NFL... sure, teams will interview guys, interview a minority candidate, but they usually already have their guy picked out. Sometimes there is an actual coaching search. It’s rare though. 

Kirby loves his recruiting and his personality. Players love Coley. Unfortunately there’s a lot more to being a good OC than being a great recruiter with a good personality.

Hope the guy picked up a thing or two in between Miami and now. I don’t expect we will win championships with Coley at OC judging from his track record. Hopefully he does a whole lot better.

Hope so too.  Sounds like Coley was the guy, unless Kirby came across someone who could convince him otherwise.  Still don't like it.

The article almost made it sound like having an OC before meeting with Pickens was critical, so he could answer questions directly.  I hope that played no part in the decision.

6 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

I'm with you, I was under the impression that Coley would get the OC title, but it would still be Jimbo calling the plays.

jimbo was going to hand over play calling duties to coley.. jimbo wanted him for his recruiting, but also wanted to move off play calling duties.  at least that was what he told coley at the time.  

1 hour ago, 007dawg said:

Enos wanted to bring in his own guys for an offensive staff, Kirby wasn't going to do that.  So, Enos to Miami.

that makes sense.. kirby really likes enos, but kirby builds his staff. 

27 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I thought we were interviewing folks this weekend?  Guess not.

we are for positions on offense and defense.. 

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

jimbo was going to hand over play calling duties to coley.. jimbo wanted him for his recruiting, but also wanted to move off play calling duties.  at least that was what he told coley at the time.  

Gotcha.  That makes me feel a little better about the hire, seeing as I don't think 2 different SEC coaches would give him play calling duties, just to keep him as a recruiter.

42 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I think Kirby wants someone he can control into just running the ball over and over and over again. 

i don't agree with that.. he could get that from a number of unemployed ocs out there.. i believe he really wants to change it up some with coley and likes his ideas on running the offense. 

5 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Hope so too.  Sounds like Coley was the guy, unless Kirby came across someone who could convince him otherwise.  Still don't like it.

The article almost made it sound like having an OC before meeting with Pickens was critical, so he could answer questions directly.  I hope that played no part in the decision.

having coley hired as OC so he can sell his vision of our offense is huge tonight for that meeting.. I can't underscore how impt that is. 

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we are for positions on offense and defense.. 

So te coach and what on defense?  DC, or position coach, or depends on the candidate?

Just now, Turkeydawg said:

So te coach and what on defense?  DC, or position coach, or depends on the candidate?

te coach i believe kirby is still going to talk to a few guys, but right now i think it's hartley.. sounds like though hartley is being courted by more than 1 sec team.  depends on the candidate on defense..  it will be someone who has familiarity with kirby's system.. i was told it takes up to 2 years for a coach to learn his system so he usually hires someone who already has some knowledge of how it works. 

8 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Very underwhelming and lazy hire. I would figure Kirby would do his due diligence and do a more thorough search since this was going to be a crucial hire. 

Yeah these next two years are crucial in keeping the momentum of the program.  If the offense goes backwards and Dawgs don’t get it done, this will be a huge mistake 

Kirby is letting Coley go wide open on offense. Kirby also liked the fact that going to Coley wouldnt mean learning an entirely new offense.

sdogg likes this

5 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Gotcha.  That makes me feel a little better about the hire, seeing as I don't think 2 different SEC coaches would give him play calling duties, just to keep him as a recruiter.

i am actually excited with the feedback i have seen on what coley plans on doing.  i also think kirby has learned something after year 4 about his offense and wants to vary it up.  people forget kirby has only been a head coach for just 3 years, he will continue to learn and change how he does things.  that is the one big thing i love about kirby, always looking to improve. 

Why James Coley is a strong OC hire for Georgia.

Georgia has its next offensive coordinator. Kirby Smart needed just a few days to settle on co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach James Coley as the Bulldogs play caller in 2018.

Coley has served in that role before in his three years at Miami prior to becoming a part of Smart's initial staff at UGA. He has coached three different position groups in his 12-year career and he'll inherit a group laden with experienced talent.

In just over a decade of experience at the college level, Coley has learned under two of the three active coaches in the NCAA who have won National Championships -- Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher. He has coached a 3,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver, and two 1,000-yard rushers.

But what makes him a strong hire at Georgia? With a great deal of interest in the position, why did Smart elect to tap Coley as the leader of his offense?

Scroll down as Dawgs247 gives 10 reasons why the veteran coach was the logical place to turn upon Jim Chaney's departure for Tennessee.

FAMILIARITY WITH PERSONNEL

Coley is going into his fourth year at UGA and understanding your players is a large part of the job. He helped recruit just about every player he'll be coaching on Georgia's offense, if not all of them, and he has a feel for their strengths and weaknesses. He knows where there is depth and where he'll have to create it. Coley also understands what certain players are comfortable doing certain things. 

EXPERIENCE

His time at Miami wasn't exactly dominant. There are some good things you can take from it and some bad. But it's important to note that the entire staff in Coral Gables was let go after three years under Al Golden, it's rare to have one area of the team producing at an elite level and the entire staff get let go. Coaches tend to learn from their mistakes or what went wrong at previous stops, and Georgia can be the beneficiary of that.

DIVERSITY IN COACHING CAREER...

We aren't talking about a coach who has spent his entire career coaching one position. Coley has worked with quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends. He has also done a pretty good job with every group. He gets the ins and outs of what each position should be asked to do and has helped players elevate their games in those experience. Now he'll have the chance to press the buttons of every player on offense. That's much easier to do when you have a plethora of experience to pull from when it comes to coaching those spots. 

CULTURE CONTINUITY

Few coaches are going to have a better understanding of what Smart wants to accomplish on a team level. From involvement in the strength and conditioning program to the classroom setting, Coley has a good feel for all of it. He won't need a crash course in expectations. He has seen the program trend upward for the past three years and can now take on a greater role in where it's headed. The fact that Chaney won't have to learn how to fit in is important. The fact that he can now be someone who spearheads getting players and other staffers to buy in could be key.

EASY TO WORK WITH...

By all accounts, coaches love working with Coley. We've heard this from previous stops and he has a strong rapport with the defensive staff, too. He's a happy-go-lucky guy who is highly thought of by those who he has worked with in the past and the current support staffers who work under him. A sense of humor isn't going to win you any football games but it does keep morale high, which is important. There are many coaches out there who tend to wear out their welcome but Coley doesn't seem to be one of them. 

GUYS LIKE PLAYING FOR HIM...

Speaking of keeping morale high, there's no more imporant place for that to be the case than with the players. When Coley moved from coaching wide receivers to the quarterbacks, some of the pass catchers remarked that the missed being more involved with him. On the flip side of that, the quarterbacks were happy to still have Chaney involved but they all seemed to love Coley, too. Don't get us wrong here. There are plenty of players who enjoy their time under coaches who don't get tremendous results, but it's still important that your players like you enough to play hard for you.

RECRUITING...

Imagine a scenario where Chaney walks into the living room of one of the top receivers in the country and tries to pitch him on being the next 1,000-yard pass catcher in Athens. There was only so much he could do as the receivers coach, quarterbacks coach, or the co-offensive coordinator whose primary role was to help put together the game plan. Now, as a play caller, he's better equipped to sell his vision for the offense to potential game changers. Smart is a good example of how effective a coordinator can be as a recruiter. Georgia now has it's most talented salesman of the program in a coordinator role since Smart arrived.

ENERGY...

When reporters get to watch practice, there's a lot going on. Footballs are flying in every direction, pads are popping, and there's a lot of yelling going on. But there is no one easier to notice than Coley. He's constantly barking high-pitch instructions to his players and is bouncing all over the place. He sprints from hash to hash to coach the quarterbacks and did the same while with the receivers. Coley has put that energy to good use on the recruiting trail and has produced results because of it. They say players take on the personality of their coach and Coley instructs with boundless enthusiasm. 

TALENT...

We can debate all day what means more to success -- coaching or talent -- but the fact of the matter is that both are quite important. You may have some preconceived notions on Chaney as a coach based on his time at other stops, but it's doubtful that he was working with the amount of talent he has now. Georgia has brought in recruiting classes ranked No. 3, No. 1, and is currently ranked No. 2 per the 247Sports Composite Team rankings. He has plenty to work with, especially on the offensive line and that's where it all starts. 

KIRBY SMART SAID SO...

There's a difference in blindly trusting the coaching staff and trying to understand that Smart has had three full years to see Coley do his thing. Smart hired him in January of 2016 and has watched him coach, recruit, and prepare since. He promoted Coley and gave him a big raise when Texas A&M came calling to keep him at UGA. Now, for the second time in as many seasons, he's promoting Coley again. Smart has forgotten more about Coley than all of the detractors of this hire combined. It doesn't make him right but it makes him qualified.  It's your choice whether or not to trust Smart in this scenario but the reality is, what choice do you have?

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

that makes sense.. kirby really likes enos, but kirby builds his staff. 

Enos can stay the **** away from Mcgee lol

Just now, WOR said:

Enos can stay the **** away from Mcgee lol

lolol..  no mcgee for you. 

3 minutes ago, WOR said:

Look at the bright side..... 

If this completely bombs, it could coincide perfectly with Bobo back on the market. 

Yall playing checkers. Kirby playing Chess. 

my prediction our offense has a terrific year with a faster pace offense and we average over 42 points a game.  

We shall see. They’re definitely saying all the right things, and after reading a little more, I feel   a little less apprehensive. Overall, the offense wasn’t atrocious with Chaney, but I definitely didn’t think he was utilizing all of his tools nor was he great at adapting his play calls to new adjustments. Hopefully, Coley can pick up the slack that Cheeseburger couldn’t.

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Wish these Miami fans would understand that

are you telling me miami fans don't like that hire?  are they freaking crazy?  I love the guy and they should to. 

7 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

are you telling me miami fans don't like that hire?  are they freaking crazy?  I love the guy and they should to. 

This