Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,215 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ga_spider said:

Is there any truth to Coley is to be the new OC and Todd Hartley as our TEs coach? I read this on the Miami message board. Just wondering if anyone has heard this too. 

I imagine Kirby will have to get turned down by a few folks before Coley gets the job.

14 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I imagine Kirby will have to get turned down by a few folks before Coley gets the job.

Dunno about that. 

About that Eddie Gran report ...

Chip_Towers Posts: mod

My sources tell me it's not accurate and it doesn't make any sense to me, besides.

Then came this tweet from Gran himself a few minutes ago, which suggest he's remaining with the Kentucky Wildcats:

First of all, please know that, here at DawgNation, if there's a report anywhere we're going to let you know about it. That's why we have a team of breaking news reporters who's job it is to inform you if there's anything out there that bears our attention -- or yours. And, to be clear, Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio is somebody I consider a credible reporter. But I don't for a second believe Gran was offered the Georgia OC job and certainly not "total control of the offense and $1.1 million.

Here's a couple of things to think about. Agents put these things out in the universe all the time. I don't doubt there might've been some kind of contact or interaction between Georgia and Gran, but I don't believe the Bulldogs ever offered him the job. Secondly, let's think about this logically from Kirby Smart's perspective. So just a year ago, you thought James Coley being on your staff was important enough to move him from WRs to QBs and make him co-offensive coordinator. A year later, your real OC leaves (somewhat unexpectedly). Now you've got a guy who sat in the offensive room with Chaney every day and in the coaches' box for 14 games, and now you think the best idea is to go out and hire somebody else over him?

How would one expect James Coley to react to that? And it's not like he's an extremely risky hire where the job may be too big for him. Coley was OC and QB coach at Miami before UGA and FIU before that and lots of experience besides at FSU and LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.

My expectation is that Georgia will eventually announce Coley as the new OC soon or perhaps after national signing day. At this point I'd expect the same for Dan Lanning with or without Glenn Schumann as a co-DC. But Smart's not in a hurry to announce that. Again, something could happen with a Derrick Ansley, but Smart's probably trying to figure out if the only way to get him is to make him the DC or will be share the title or be OK with just being secondary coach.

As for why Gran wouldn't make sense, I'll offer just one word -- Schottenheimer. ... I'm not saying Gran would he a bad hire on the level of Schotty, but I would say it's a new coach with a new system. Bringing somebody in like that and dumping new terminology and concepts on an offense that has been quite successful doing things the previous way has the potential to be disastrous, just like the Schotty experiment was.

Edited by RandomFan

I try not to listen to much of what Chip Towers has to say. 

I also don't understand the purpose of announcing the hire after signing day, if you know who the hire is.

g-dawg likes this

42 minutes ago, Ga_spider said:

Is there any truth to Coley is to be the new OC and Todd Hartley as our TEs coach? I read this on the Miami message board. Just wondering if anyone has heard this too. 

nothing confirmed at all, but for me that is my guess what happens in the very end..  

coley turned down being oc at texas a&m to be an oc here in athens.  he is next in line IMO (that is my guess).  however kirby is going to reach out to diffferent coaches who can recruit like hell and have an oc background to work with coley.  it makes no sense to not kick the rocks to see who is interested in being an oc, but i think in the end he hires a heck of a recruiter like dj looney or hartley to coach tes and make coley the oc officially.  that is just my opinion.  

kirby already tried to hire hartley who he respects greatly.. both looney and hartley are great recruiters.  

21 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I try not to listen to much of what Chip Towers has to say. 

I also don't understand the purpose of announcing the hire after signing day, if you know who the hire is.

announcing any hires after nsd is moronic.. we are adding coaches instead of removing them.  if kirby waits that long i have to question his handle on the situation.. here is what separates coaches like saban and dabo from other coaches:  who they hire to their staff.  both saban and dabo overall do a very good job in hiring.  who kirby hires will tell me a lot about him and his future in athens.  for the first time in a long time saban failed miserably in his offseason hires last year.  

7 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

announcing any hires after nsd is moronic.. we are adding coaches instead of removing them.  if kirby waits that long i have to question his handle on the situation.. here is what separates coaches like saban and dabo from other coaches:  who they hire to their staff.  both saban and dabo overall do a very good job in hiring.  who kirby hires will tell me a lot about him and his future in athens.  for the first time in a long time saban failed miserably in his offseason hires last year.  

I see no reason to doubt Kirby on coaching hires or recruiting.  He hasn’t failed yet in those areas and deserves benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I see no reason to doubt Kirby on coaching hires or recruiting.  He hasn’t failed yet in those areas and deserves benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

we will see on how he does with his hires.  time will tell on that..  that is the difference between natty coaches and coaches who don't win it all.  can't assume anything.. 

Think if we want to be a title team we have to live short term, the right hire each yea success will lead to recruits either way, u dont sacrifice a season or 3 to keep a coach-,coley- Bama replaces coordinators yearly.. coley May be great this time it just needs to be because he is the best coordinator we could hire to put us in position to win a title next year - same w the dc hire, IMO u don’t promote a guy just to keep him, that’s the cutthroat of the business if u want to compete w the sharks

According to Rusty, Gran did not have an offer, but we were in contact with him.  He was quick to point out that it is "agent season".  Also said UGA will be interviewing more coaches this weekend.

Lastly, said Pittman is about to get paid and most likely will have something added to his title.

Edited by Turkeydawg
sdogg and Falconsin2012 like this

37 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we will see on how he does with his hires.  time will tell on that..  that is the difference between natty coaches and coaches who don't win it all.  can't assume anything.. 

Venables approves this message

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Coley might be the guy but I fully believe Kirby is checking all his options. Any good coach would 

Coley is the guy, uga will never beat bama.

3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don’t think that’s the case. I believe Coley was promised the opportunity to become an OC once things were established here. 

A source in the Georgia athletic department told DawgNation on Thursday night that while Gran did have discussions about becoming a position coach with the Bulldogs, the offensive coordinator position was never on the table.

Edited by RandomFan
SacFalcFan likes this

11 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I didn't want him and his horrible playcalling anyway. I hope Manny didn't offer him the job

Yeah I know hahaha... and I really reeeaally hope he’s not our OC. Has Brian Schottenheimer written all over it.

Waiting for people to learn a bad OC doesn’t become a good OC just because the roster is loaded with talent. People don’t get it. I’m dying over here reading post after post of people saying he couldn’t do any worse than Chaney. I mean..... yes, yes he most definitely could. He already proved he could consistently do worse than Jedd freaking Fisch.

youngbloodz likes this

I did see one encouraging stat on Coley. His first two years, when Miami wasn't as talent bare as his last season, his offenses ranked 11th in the country in yards per play. I mean I'm grasping for silver linings here...so there is one at least, I guess. 

And I've got to keep believing that Jimbo Fisher wanted him for a good reason, right? The guy did coach a national champion after all. Surely it wasn't all just because of his recruiting ability. 

Edited by RandomFan

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah I know hahaha... and I really reeeaally hope he’s not our OC. Has Brian Schottenheimer written all over it.

Waiting for people to learn a bad OC doesn’t become a good OC just because the roster is loaded with talent. People don’t get it. I’m dying over here reading post after post of people saying he couldn’t do any worse than Chaney. I mean..... yes, yes he most definitely could. He already proved he could consistently do worse than Jedd freaking Fisch.

Great recruiter but man his offense just plain sucks. Worse than Jedd Fisch is an accomplishment lol

Carter likes this

16 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I did see one encouraging stat on Coley. His first two years, when Miami wasn't as talent bare as his last season, his offenses ranked 11th in the country in yards per play. I mean I'm grasping for silver linings here...so there is one at least, I guess. 

And I've got to keep believing that Jimbo Fisher wanted him for a good reason, right? The guy did coach a national champion after all. Surely it wasn't all just because of his recruiting ability. 

He is a decent coach. Just can't gameplan and call plays for nothing. He would have never did any of that with Jimbo

57 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Jimbo runs his own offense. He wanted Coley for his recruiting. 

According to Rusty,  Coley would have been calling plays.

15 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

According to Rusty,  Coley would have been calling plays.

Might have been. I know right now Jimbo calls plays and has his OC help with the breakdowns and everything between series so he can focus on the game. 

44 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Might have been. I know right now Jimbo calls plays and has his OC help with the breakdowns and everything between series so he can focus on the game. 

I'm with you, I was under the impression that Coley would get the OC title, but it would still be Jimbo calling the plays.