Unknøwn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

And by complete control of the offense they mean for all the times except when Kirby pulls back on the reigns, which is all the time, LOL --- I say that as a joke, but I'm secretly afraid it's too close to the truth :ninja:

that was added because it's become something that is known that kirby is like muschamp and even saban early on where they like to get their hands on the offense and dictate stuff.  it has hurt us in the past and imo saban really saw big dividends when he pulled back and let lane kiffin take control of the offense and open things up.  i think gran is being told kirby won't interfere, the offense is yours.. if that truly is the case then we are in great shape.  now if kirby goes back on that then gran will be a 1 year oc.  gran is old enough and respected enough he won't stick around.  

one other thing what i find funny is it sounds like saban may do a 180 on his offense and slow it down and go back to the ground and pound using play action.  

14 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i think gran is being told kirby won't interfere, the offense is yours.. if that truly is the case then we are in great shape. 

100% agree. Hopefully he has realized the extremely conservative approach is partly responsible for costing us a talented QB and a very talented WR. I'd rather not go all full blown Oklahoma wide open, but would instead prefer to keep the smash mouth approach and pair that with some timely deep shots and a more even split between run and pass. 

one other thing what i find funny is it sounds like saban may do a 180 on his offense and slow it down and go back to the ground and pound using play action.  

Ya know, I wondered if that might be the case after watching Tua throw two terrible INTs vs Clemson. You could see the disgust on Saban's face. And considering Tua's numbers were garbage last year vs good defenses, I wouldn't be surprised. 

Edited by RandomFan

I think Gran would be a good hire, but with how ugly Kentucky was offensively, some fans are going to have pushback on it. I wonder if Mark Stoops had his hands in the cookie jar up there as well.

It seems like it'd be the same type of offensive philosophy as well, and that'd be what I think all of us would prefer, just with some tweaks to it.

Smart has spoken glowingly about the veteran coach before.

"I think they've got a great coaching staff," Smart said prior to Georgia taking on Kentucky. "I've got a lot of respect for Eddie Gran. I think he's one of the most physical offensive coordinators in the league. He believes in running the ball and being tough and physical."

Smart has also expressed his respect for how Gran doesn't mind being creative when it comes to putting together an offensive game plan.

77COMMENTS

"I think Eddie does a really good job of each week having a different presentation of what people label ‘wildcat,'" Smart said. "Then looking at the picture of what Kerryon (Johnson) did in that package — Auburn does it a little different than them, but Kentucky does a really good job. Their percentage of ‘wildcat’ based on this year was actually higher last year versus us, and that is usually predicated on how much success. If it is working, you do it more. They had a couple of drives last year, particularly one at the end, they ran almost the whole series in the ‘wildcat.’ They are good at it. They are physical. Our kids talked last year about that was the most physical game they played in from a defensive standpoint because it was so much grinding and hitting."

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Key part of the offer is Kirby told Gran he will have 100% control of the offense. Kirby is willing to step aside.

I'm willing to bet that has more to do with Coley than Kirby

MattyIceonTap likes this

Just now, youngbloodz said:

I'm willing to bet that has more to do with Coley than Kirby

That too. Sounds like Chaney didnt like having Coley sticking his nose in the planning.

youngbloodz likes this

1 hour ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I think Gran would be a good hire, but with how ugly Kentucky was offensively, some fans are going to have pushback on it. I wonder if Mark Stoops had his hands in the cookie jar up there as well.

It seems like it'd be the same type of offensive philosophy as well, and that'd be what I think all of us would prefer, just with some tweaks to it.

It's really a great offer. Gran would be a perfect fit for us imo. Not only for his fit, but if Dell McGee takes a promotion anytime soon then Gran is an excellent RB coach who has groomed some great backs in his time and there is probably no drop off there in recruiting ability.

I expect a lot of Dawg fans will groan due to how run heavy Kentucky was. But if you watched much of Kentucky, you'd know Gran tried to get his dual threat QB involved in the passing game and schemed for him to have good opportunities.

Big question mark in my mind if we hire Gran though is QB coaching. Gran is not a QB coach. Great OC, great recruiter, great position coach particularly with RBs. Is Coley a quality QB coach?

The more I think about this the more I like it. 

1 the guy can recruit. 

2. He has experience working with dual threat QBs 

3. He’s played the exact same competition we play 

4. He’s called plays before and you don’t have to wonder if he can handle that. Also dealing w the media and the other things that come with the position 

5. He’s succeeded with less talent than nearly everyone he plays. 

6 Ky has developed less sought after players extremely well. Idk but maybe he can recruit and develop talent ?

7. Him switching rosters from Ky to UGA would be something like a soldier succeeding in war with a BB gun then getting an assault rifle.

Porter Osborne Jr and sdogg like this

Sounds like a no go. Gran tweeted out he's all in for bbn. Don't have the link. Don't have Twitter but heard it reported on the radio

Edited by UAB_DAWG

So he would seriously turn down working with far better talent, to stay at Kentucky? What's going on here?

1 minute ago, ATLBrave said:

Sounds like the typical agent ploy to get his client a raise. The dollar figure was way too exact. 

Yep. That happens a ton this time of year. 

:lol:

Georgia: Kentucky offensive coordinator Eddie Gran has been offered the offensive coordinator job, per Matt Jones of KSR. Jones adds that Gran has been offered over $1.1 million per year and would have complete control of the offense. Late afternoon update> FootballScoop spoke with folks with direct knowledge of the situation and believe it is fair to say Eddie was contacted about a role on the staff at Georgia. Based on our conversations, it seems “offered” is a bit overstated. 

SacFalcFan likes this

28 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yep. That happens a ton this time of year. 

Is there any truth to Coley is to be the new OC and Todd Hartley as our TEs coach? I read this on the Miami message board. Just wondering if anyone has heard this too.