Unknøwn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Carter said:

Wait until they figure out how much money they wasted lmao

I think Chaney was a good hire for JP,  just as he was for Kirby.  Having a veteran oc, especially for a newer coach, is big.  Problem with Chaney is that he was just too dang stubborn.  I hope we go with someone willing to open it up a bit more. But yes, they did over pay, by a lot.

sdogg and Carter like this

I'm curious to see the Vols offense next year as well as Georgia's. I've wondered how much Smart prevented the offense from being opened up at times.

6 minutes ago, GAbred said:

I'm curious to see the Vols offense next year as well as Georgia's. I've wondered how much Smart prevented the offense from being opened up at times.

So am I. Did we hold back to try and protect the young D or did we hold back cause Kirby is just old school stubborn? 

10 minutes ago, Nereek said:

I wish uga would hurry up and hire somebody, the suspense is killing me.

I am fine with this taking some time, especially since most of our class is already .  Making the right call is critical.  

L.A.Falcon Fan likes this

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I am fine with this taking some time, especially since most of our class is already .  Making the right call is critical.  

Yeah at this point it's better to figure out who you really want and the direction you want to go.  If you are going to promote from within, can you cherry pick a new up and coming young coach/analyst from clemson, bama or another school?  Offense is really the big question mark.  I like Sac's idea of offering Fedora but that could upset current staff and it's probably a very short term hire.  Could also be a an excellent short term answer.

I know that Kevin Wilson probably isn’t a realistic option, but he checks every box for what I imagine we as a fan base are looking for. I’m also not completely against Eddie Gran, I know his Kentucky offenses have been unremarkable, but they’ve had very little talent at QB during his tenure. Feels like he’s done a lot with a little. I think simply promoting Coley to OC could be a big mistake. 

Edited by Lennon

Yesterday it was being said that Gran was interviewed. A few very connected insiders have alluded to both coordinator positions being wrapped up though. Very confusing to try and follow this one... really can’t remember it being like this before with so much misleading info getting out and general secrecy/cryptic posts by folks who usually know what’s going on.

When Kirby came on we knew pretty quickly that Mel Tucker was coming with him. OC search took a while but we had clear targets and Chaney wasn’t a surprise.

If it were Coley and Lanning it seems like that would have already been announced or would be announced today maybe. Leads me to believe it’s not a done deal, maybe close but not done. Timing-wise it would be best to announce today or tomorrow so the whole staff can move focus onto recruiting with the dead period ending.

sdogg likes this

One last note on Kingsbury. It looks like the vision he pitched to Arizona was taking Kyler Murray #1 and turning him loose in the spread. 

something interesting on the ut oc search..  

from another board.. 

According to Swain, Pruitt offered Bobo 2 mil to come be the OC and Bobo said no. I actually believe this and I’ll tell you why. I met Pruitt his first year at UGA and he was talking about the 2012 SECCG, he said Bama D was more talented than UGA O, but said the difference was Mike Bobo, said he was the best in the biz.

6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

from another board.. 

According to Swain, Pruitt offered Bobo 2 mil to come be the OC and Bobo said no. I actually believe this and I’ll tell you why. I met Pruitt his first year at UGA and he was talking about the 2012 SECCG, he said Bama D was more talented than UGA O, but said the difference was Mike Bobo, said he was the best in the biz.

Very interesting if true, but absolutely crazy.  

24 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

from another board.. 

Mike bobo and Aaron Murray was on one...I wish we had better Olinemen during those years

If Coley gets passed over will he stick around? Seems like he would leave as well and another spot would need to be filled. I know Coley isn't the option most want but having some continuity going into what I thought could be the year the dawgs finally get over the top would be nice.

Gran did a solid job with the talent he has at Kentucky. At Cincinnati Gran's offense broke school records and were routinely in the top 10. They averaged 450-500 yards a game with Gran. His last season at Cincy they averaged 373 yards a game passing. That's along with 186 yards a game rushing average. Give Gran the talent and hes wide open. 

19 minutes ago, GAbred said:

If Coley gets passed over will he stick around? Seems like he would leave as well and another spot would need to be filled. I know Coley isn't the option most want but having some continuity going into what I thought could be the year the dawgs finally get over the top would be nice.

Continuity would be great, but I don't want to make a lazy hire just to keep someone who is replaceable.  I love Coley's florida connections, but what's more important is getting the right guy as our oc.

Carter, sdogg and mike teevee like this

19 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gran did a solid job with the talent he has at Kentucky. At Cincinnati Gran's offense broke school records and were routinely in the top 10. They averaged 450-500 yards a game with Gran. His last season at Cincy they averaged 373 yards a game passing. That's along with 186 yards a game rushing average. Give Gran the talent and hes wide open. 

Gran is a great OC hire IMO if we do that and one of the best florida recruiters out there.  we would make gator fans cry nightly if we add another great florida recruiter.. hahaha

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

from another board.. 

I truly believe that Kirby's coordinator dream team is Bobo at OC and Muschamp at DC

You want the Clemson setup where the top 3 are all friends and want to stick together and make each other better?

That's it 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Yesterday it was being said that Gran was interviewed. A few very connected insiders have alluded to both coordinator positions being wrapped up though. Very confusing to try and follow this one... really can’t remember it being like this before with so much misleading info getting out and general secrecy/cryptic posts by folks who usually know what’s going on.

When Kirby came on we knew pretty quickly that Mel Tucker was coming with him. OC search took a while but we had clear targets and Chaney wasn’t a surprise.

If it were Coley and Lanning it seems like that would have already been announced or would be announced today maybe. Leads me to believe it’s not a done deal, maybe close but not done. Timing-wise it would be best to announce today or tomorrow so the whole staff can move focus onto recruiting with the dead period ending.

Americus has commented several times the last few weeks that almost nothing is getting leaked about the coaching search. He's heard all the rumors, but the usual contacts aren't confident in hardly anything because Kirby has got such a tight lid on that information, among other areas. And we know what happens in a vacuum of real information, people try to fill it with bs instead. 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

from another board.. 

That is very interesting. My first thought is that this was also before Bama made the shift in defensive philosophy towards the smaller lighter defense to combat mobile QB's. I do wonder if Bobo's/Richt's offense is still as effective vs the new era of defense; we did see how Richt struggled at Miami with it and one of the big complaints was that the offense was outdated. I'm not saying that is the case, I just wonder about it. But perhaps Bobo has evolved his scheme to keep up with the times, I haven't really kept up with him enough to know. 

And my only minor issue with Gran is it seems he's only ever coached the RB position, where we already have Dell. I'm guessing he could coach another spot, but that's at least a minor issue. 

Edited by RandomFan

Georgia: Kentucky offensive coordinator Eddie Gran has been offered the offensive coordinator job, per Matt Jones of KSR. Jones adds that Gran has been offered over $1.1 million per year and would have complete control of the offense.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

That is very interesting. My first thought is that this was also before Bama made the shift in defensive philosophy towards the smaller lighter defense to combat mobile QB's. I do wonder if Bobo's/Richt's offense is still as effective vs the new era of defense; we did see how Richt struggled at Miami with it and one of the big complaints was that the offense was outdated. I'm not saying that is the case, I just wonder about it. But perhaps Bobo has evolved his scheme to keep up with the times, I haven't really kept up with him enough to know. 

And my only minor issue with Gran is it seems he's only ever coached the RB position, where we already have Dell. I'm guessing he could coach another spot, but that's at least a minor issue. 

Not worried about gran's position.. he is going to be coaching TEs which he can handle and be the oc.. gran loves to run a more wide open offense and as i said earlier is one of the best recruiters in florida.  recruiting will get a nice bump compared to what chaney was doing in that area.  

1 minute ago, Carter said:

I love that hire if he accepts.

same here.. i have wanted gran in athens for a while.. i know the recruiter he is and i love his offense. 

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Georgia: Kentucky offensive coordinator Eddie Gran has been offered the offensive coordinator job, per Matt Jones of KSR. Jones adds that Gran has been offered over $1.1 million per year and would have complete control of the offense.

And by complete control of the offense they mean for all the times except when Kirby pulls back on the reigns, which is all the time, LOL --- I say that as a joke, but I'm secretly afraid it's too close to the truth :ninja: