Unknøwn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

Good fit for miles and KU imo. I could see this evolving into a mike leach type of deal if he brings in a capable OC. Competitive but not great team with great press conferences on the side. 

If Miles can get Kansas to play some defense he could do some things in the Big 12. Nobody else plays defense out there. Remember last offseason Les Miles was pitching teams on hiring him and Hugh Freeze as his OC. I wonder if Kansas bit on that and Freeze will be headed to Lawrence as well.

fibonaccisquared likes this

In any case, the Big 12 is about to be reintroduced to a coach with huge brass balls. Stone cold decision maker lol. It’s Kansas so it will be a challenge to make them relevant, but it has been done before.

Would be great to see them schedule some games with Mizzou again. That was actually a very good rivalry and I believe the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi River. Seem to remember Mizzou wanting to keep the rivalry alive when they joined the SEC but it just never happened. 

Dana Holgorsen is a popular name at Colorado. Theres doubts they can convince him to take their job but there isnt any doubt he would leave WV for the right spot. West Virginia is a bit of a tough job being so far away from the conference they play in. Ryan Day also on the radar there. 

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

so when is helton fired at USC? 

Yeah what’s going on with that? They’ve had a mess of injuries and freshmen QBs starting for them. He stripped Tee Martin of play calling duties and it has just been a mess. 

The rumor mill is always churning. A lot of UGA fans seem to think if he were fired from USC that Kirby would try to pick him up. 

Helton did a good job keeping USC from tanking after Sark had his drama. The team has the talent to win or at least be respectable but Helton has failed to plan or develop appropriately. With Sam Darnold at QB Helton has a 20-4 record. Anyone other than Darnold playing QB and Helton is 6-10. Helton needs star players to cover up his shortcomings as a HC. As far as Tee Martin, he just ended taking the blame from Helton. I have no doubt Helton is a good offensive mind but I dont think he was ever a good fit to lead a huge program like USC. I'm still shocked they removed the interim tag in the first place.

12 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Dana Holgorsen is a popular name at Colorado. Theres doubts they can convince him to take their job but there isnt any doubt he would leave WV for the right spot. West Virginia is a bit of a tough job being so far away from the conference they play in. Ryan Day also on the radar there. 

This would be interesting. Dana probably not on a "hot seat", but he has had some inopportune losses over the last few years... could see him looking for a change of scenery at another school that doesn't have outlandish expectations. Pac12 also a bit of a "wild west" right now, with no team looking particularly dominant.

8 hours ago, Carter said:

A lot of UGA fans seem to think if he were fired from USC that Kirby would try to pick him up. 

Pick him up as what? An analyst? Position coach?

55 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Pick him up as what? An analyst? Position coach?

Maybe initially as an analyst, waiting for a position? Clay Helton and Kirby are close and it’s quite possible Helton would be in Athens now had he not been retained for the job at USC. Kirby has to be anticipating some of his staff getting offers to leave for promotions soon.

Mike Bobo may come back home in a similar capacity. I’d think it more likely for Bobo than Helton with their particular circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Maybe initially as an analyst, waiting for a position? Clay Helton and Kirby are close and it’s quite possible Helton would be in Athens now had he not been retained for the job at USC. Kirby has to be anticipating some of his staff getting offers to leave for promotions soon.

Mike Bobo may come back home in a similar capacity. I’d think it more likely for Bobo than Helton with their particular circumstances. 

Gotcha. I guess Coley could be headed out this year if he gets another look. Just trying to think about who all on the offensive side might even be on the block for another gig. Hankton just got hired. Dell I think at this point only leaves for OC (or HC of smaller school), or more specifically, I hope... :lol: 

Bobo is safe for now. His buyout if fired next year would cost CSU $7M. He has to figure out his defense though. They're allowing almost 40 points a game. His offenses since going to CSU have been the best in school history but his defenses have been bad. If he can get a decent defense that program will take off.

Iowa State HC Matt Campbell is expected to be an NFL candidate. Browns are one team that's expected to call. CBS quoted one NFL exec saying Campbell is a great leader, knows how to delegate and is a legitimate NFL coach. 

UNC fires Fedora

Illinois extends Lovie Smith

USC will keep Helton. Swann told Helton weeks ago that he would throw his full support behind him. Swann believes stability is best. Swann's job rides on this. Hes already under fire for extending Helton last year when nobody was attempting to lure him. That extension made his buyout $15M.

Kingsbury is expected to be an OC candidate at pretty much every school and the NFL. Les Miles will probably be the first to call. Chiefs also rumored to have interest if they lose their OC to a HC job. Kingsbury obviously was Mahomes college coach.

Western Kentucky's coach is out

Rumor has it Mack Brown could be interested in the UNC job and would bring Kingsbury as his OC and Chizik as his DC