Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Think so too, but its a understandable ploy, hope to weaken the opponent you are trying to catch. Vols know beating Bama is out of the question, but still feel they should hang with UGA and UF. I just dont know if they have that much pull anymore. 

no offense, but they haven't weakened uga at all.. we are in great shape.  what pruitt did was alienate and hurt any chance of hiring a bigtime oc by saying they are overrated and treating helton like crap.. it's no secret they have been turned down time and time again.  then fulmer who has a relationship with chaney i bet go involved and due to him being close to retirement and his daughter is up there, there was an opening so they threw a ton of money knowing UGA wouldn't match it.  i think we promote coley which i don't have a problem with.. he has coached with jimbo and chaney since his time in miami.  he is a great recruiter and a very smart guy.  we will probably hire a TE coach who can recruit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

That is false/fake news.  Not at all what happened.  Chaney got an offer Kirby decided not to match.  Almost 5 million for an oc was just too much and Chaney isn't far from retirement so he couldn't turn down that money.  Congrats to Chaney. 

Well, technically both could be true. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirby knows he needs that money to keep other staffers like Pittman. I wouldnt be surprised to see Pittman add the associate HC title or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Well, technically both could be true. :shrug:

we will see you could be right.  if kirby wanted to keep chaney for almost 5 million per year he would still be in athens, but kirby decided not to.  chaney could have left a while ago since it was clear fulmer and pruitt were interested, but chaney held off since it was truly a tough decision for him.  we are paying pittman 1.5 million per year, it's clear who kirby values as the most important piece of that coaching staff.  i think we hire hartley who is no longer at miami for a TE coach.  kirby tried to hire him last year, but he was turned down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kirby knows he needs that money to keep other staffers like Pittman. I wouldnt be surprised to see Pittman add the associate HC title or something. 

that is what is happening actually.. getting a raise to 1.5 million and associate hc title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that Coley would be an incredibly lazy hire by Kirby. Incredibly lazy hire to just promote him with his real history as an OC being a recruiter for Jimbo actually calling the plays and then getting fired at Miami. We only really have him on staff to recruit south Florida anyway.

UGA is legitimately a top 5 job in college football and trending up as a nationally relevant football program. We have some of the best offensive talent in the country. Recruiting alone doesn’t win jack ****. As a career defensive player and coach, Kirby needs to hire a brilliant offensive COORDINATOR and let him do his job in my opinion. Chaney was a ho hum hire to begin with and Coley would be too. Coaches in their 40s and 50s are who they are by that point. People in general are who they are long before that.

I’m not gonna whine about it though. If Coley is the hire, fine... not gonna expect a championship. We can and should do a lot better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Carter said:

I will say that Coley would be an incredibly lazy hire by Kirby. Incredibly lazy hire to just promote him with his real history as an OC being a recruiter for Jimbo actually calling the plays and then getting fired at Miami. We only really have him on staff to recruit south Florida anyway.

UGA is legitimately a top 5 job in college football and trending up as a nationally relevant football program. We have some of the best offensive talent in the country. Recruiting alone doesn’t win jack ****. As a career defensive player and coach, Kirby needs to hire a brilliant offensive COORDINATOR and let him do his job in my opinion. Chaney was a ho hum hire to begin with and Coley would be too. Coaches in their 40s and 50s are who they are by that point. People in general are who they are long before that.

I’m not gonna whine about it though. If Coley is the hire, fine... not gonna expect a championship. We can and should do a lot better. 

Who are some people you would consider? Just curious on your thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Carter said:

I will say that Coley would be an incredibly lazy hire by Kirby. Incredibly lazy hire to just promote him with his real history as an OC being a recruiter for Jimbo actually calling the plays and then getting fired at Miami. We only really have him on staff to recruit south Florida anyway.

UGA is legitimately a top 5 job in college football and trending up as a nationally relevant football program. We have some of the best offensive talent in the country. Recruiting alone doesn’t win jack ****. As a career defensive player and coach, Kirby needs to hire a brilliant offensive COORDINATOR and let him do his job in my opinion. Chaney was a ho hum hire to begin with and Coley would be too. Coaches in their 40s and 50s are who they are by that point. People in general are who they are long before that.

I’m not gonna whine about it though. If Coley is the hire, fine... not gonna expect a championship. We can and should do a lot better. 

I agree, lazy hire.  If he is the guy, I can only hope that he has learned from his previous stints as oc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MayorWest13 said:

Who are some people you would consider? Just curious on your thoughts. 

Matt Canada would be my first choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

my first choice would be larry fedora..  

I like that.  I think it would be a temporary stint for him, but I still like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Turkeydawg said:

I like that.  I think it would be a temporary stint for him, but I still like it.

larry is an alpha and i think would be a great hire to work with kirby who needs that on that side of the ball.  it would be temporary, but i could see it last a few years and then he moves on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

larry is an alpha and i think would be a great hire to work with kirby who needs that on that side of the ball.  it would be temporary, but i could see it last a few years and then he moves on. 

Totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

my first choice would be larry fedora..  

I would have no problem at all with that. Might be relatively short lived as he would most likely get another HC shot, but I like what could be done in that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

No shocker on some of those comments, a lot of vocal Vol fans are morons. I am really glad to have Chaney back, I think he will fit in really well with what Pruitt is trying to do. I also believe I hyped Chaney in the UGA thread when he was hired there so I've been on the train awhile haha. 

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingsbury is trying to hire Jake Spavital as his OC. Spavital was Holgorsen's OC before he got the Texas State HC job a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

i think we hire hartley who is no longer at miami for a TE coach.  kirby tried to hire him last year, but he was turned down. 

Could definitely see Todd Hartley as TE coach and he would be a great hire. But I will say Americus mentioned last night he's hearing two current NFL coaches as potential names in the OC search. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

that is what is happening actually.. getting a raise to 1.5 million and associate hc title. 

Dell already has the assistant head coach title awarded to him last year. Not sure if we can have more than one, but I would doubt it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Could definitely see Todd Hartley as TE coach and he would be a great hire. But I will say Americus mentioned last night he's hearing two current NFL coaches as potential names in the OC search. 

Interesting.  Any idea who those 2 oc candidates might be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Interesting.  Any idea who those 2 oc candidates might be?

No, he wouldn't say. 

But also. 

 

Edited by RandomFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now