Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Don’t understand this kris Richard guy is a db coach, been and nfl dc, getting hc calls in the pros and we may look at him as oc? Or we talking dc? 

DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Don’t understand this kris Richard guy is a db coach, been and nfl dc, getting hc calls in the pros and we may look at him as oc? Or we talking dc? 

DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Carter said:

Word now is that Saban ponied up a raise to keep Lupoi in Tuscaloosa.

I have mixed feelings about Lupoi. On one hand he might be the best recruiter in football outside of Kirby; on the other hand he's inexperienced and by most reports not a great on field coach or coordinator. Definitely think I would like Kris Richard instead, if we are able to land him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow a lot happened while I was watching a movie!

If Coley is a terrible playcaller, then I don’t really see how Chaney leaving is a good thing if Coley is sole OC.

Surely to God Kirby is seeing these prolific offenses going like a hot knife through butter like UGA/Tex, Bama/Ok, UGA/Ok, Bama/Clemson- AND KNOW - that status quo offense ain’t gonna get it done - you can’t bring a knife to a gun fight.

I like the way Kirby and staff are building the talent and like the overall strategy but we need more aggressive passing game and much more of a vertical element to it.   Will also be run first but needs to be a little more balanced.

If Clemson wants to get into a shootout or Oklahoma or Bama, we gotta be able to play that style of the game calls for it.

mike teevee, sdogg and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-jim-chaney-tennessee-coordinator

Some interesting tidbits in this story: it appears Smart wasn't actually planning on replacing Chaney, but that Tennessee threw a boatload of money at him -- if this story is to be believed. This makes me think less of Kirby if he was intending to keep Chaney on staff again next year... Anyway, thank you to Tenn for being stupid enough to overpay for Chaney so we could get rid of him. :tiphat:

 

ATLANTA — The cost of running a championship caliber program at Georgia could be going up with offensive coordinator Jim Chaney expected to finalize a lucrative offer to take the same role at Tennessee.

Sources say Chaney has negotiated a deal with the Vols worth between $4.5 and $5 million over three years — a significant raise from the contract he has had in place that paid him $950,000 annually ($2.85 million over three years) through June of 2021 at Georgia.

“This move is about money for Jim,” a source close to the situation said late Tuesday night. “Jim’s nearing retirement and it’s a chance for him to make a significant amount more than Kirby (Smart) was willing to pay him to stay.”

Chaney’s extension following the 2017 season was not publicized, but a University of Georgia spokesman confirmed the contract’s expiration date.

Terms of Chaney’s UGA extension beyond salary data — including the buyout – have not been made public, but have been requested through the FOIA process.

Smart publicly supported Chaney throughout this season, even as the veteran offensive coordinator struggled to manage the Bulldogs’ quarterback situation with Jake Fromm and Justin Fields.

Smart was under the impression as late as Monday that Chaney would be staying, and the Bulldogs offered Chaney a raise to maintain his post.

Tennessee’s offer, however, grew too rich for Smart to match without disrupting his offensive staff’s financial harmony.

 

Coley is expected to be a leading candidate for the UGA offensive coordinator position.

Coley replaced Chaney as the Bulldogs’ quarterbacks coach this season, with Chaney assigned to coach tight ends, and he sat next to Chaney in the coaching booth during the games the season.

Chaney’s three-year tenure at Georgia is his longest at any job since he spent four years at Tennessee between 2009-2012.

The position under second-year Vols’ coach Jeremy Pruitt will be Chaney’s fourth post in the past seven years.

Chaney coached under Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley as the Vols went 23-27 with him calling plays.

Georgia was 32-10 with Chaney as offensive coordinator the past three seasons, winning the SEC East Division each of the past two years.

Edited by RandomFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Am I crazy in wanting Sark to come to Athens? College offense, 5 star talent, someone talk me down.

I don't think he was terrible at the Falcons OC but some games were just head scratchers at the very least and others he was phenomenal. Matt Ryan had a career year too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a deep breath guys. Tons of speculation being floated as info right now. 

If you don’t like Coley as OC, save your freaking out for when it’s announced. Kirby is going to do what he wants with staff hires regardless. He just doesn’t have any time for outside complaints so raising a stink about it beforehand won’t matter at all.

It sounds like whoever is taking over these positions has already agreed to it and announcements will be coming this week. According to guys with proven connections and one extremely credible insider who has a position in Butts Mehre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AutumnEffect said:

@youngbloodz would you rather give the gig to Coley or Sark

Oh dang lol. I like Sark personally. Say what you want but I think Sark is a very good college offensive coordinator. 

jeffro2000 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

"Sources told ESPN that Chaney, who had two years left on his three-year contract at Georgia, had grown frustrated with co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach James Coley's involvement in game planning and play calling”

Every offensive player at Miami was frustrated with Coley's game planning and playcalling too when he was here lol. We feel your pain Chaney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about giving Coley about playcalling. Kirby gave him that co title so he wouldnt leave. He wants his recruiting ability but I'm not sold he wants his playcalling ability. This is a big hire for Kirby. If he really wants to open things up Major Applewhite and Steve Sarkisian are both out there. Applewhite is reportedly heading to Miami but he has yet to make it official although it could happen at anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be fine with Sark at UGA (though I'm sure that's not going to happen). He was very good at the college level and really wasn't all that bad in Atlanta. He'd definitely open up a pipeline to some of the West coast talent. 

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I'd be fine with Sark at UGA (though I'm sure that's not going to happen). He was very good at the college level and really wasn't all that bad in Atlanta. He'd definitely open up a pipeline to some of the West coast talent. 

Yeah, Sark also has special ability with QBs - no question he would be better option than Coley.

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-jim-chaney-tennessee-coordinator

Some interesting tidbits in this story: it appears Smart wasn't actually planning on replacing Chaney, but that Tennessee threw a boatload of money at him -- if this story is to be believed. This makes me think less of Kirby if he was intending to keep Chaney on staff again next year... Anyway, thank you to Tenn for being stupid enough to overpay for Chaney so we could get rid of him. :tiphat:

 

ATLANTA — The cost of running a championship caliber program at Georgia could be going up with offensive coordinator Jim Chaney expected to finalize a lucrative offer to take the same role at Tennessee.

Sources say Chaney has negotiated a deal with the Vols worth between $4.5 and $5 million over three years — a significant raise from the contract he has had in place that paid him $950,000 annually ($2.85 million over three years) through June of 2021 at Georgia.

“This move is about money for Jim,” a source close to the situation said late Tuesday night. “Jim’s nearing retirement and it’s a chance for him to make a significant amount more than Kirby (Smart) was willing to pay him to stay.”

Chaney’s extension following the 2017 season was not publicized, but a University of Georgia spokesman confirmed the contract’s expiration date.

Terms of Chaney’s UGA extension beyond salary data — including the buyout – have not been made public, but have been requested through the FOIA process.

Smart publicly supported Chaney throughout this season, even as the veteran offensive coordinator struggled to manage the Bulldogs’ quarterback situation with Jake Fromm and Justin Fields.

Smart was under the impression as late as Monday that Chaney would be staying, and the Bulldogs offered Chaney a raise to maintain his post.

Tennessee’s offer, however, grew too rich for Smart to match without disrupting his offensive staff’s financial harmony.

 

Coley is expected to be a leading candidate for the UGA offensive coordinator position.

Coley replaced Chaney as the Bulldogs’ quarterbacks coach this season, with Chaney assigned to coach tight ends, and he sat next to Chaney in the coaching booth during the games the season.

Chaney’s three-year tenure at Georgia is his longest at any job since he spent four years at Tennessee between 2009-2012.

The position under second-year Vols’ coach Jeremy Pruitt will be Chaney’s fourth post in the past seven years.

Chaney coached under Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley as the Vols went 23-27 with him calling plays.

Georgia was 32-10 with Chaney as offensive coordinator the past three seasons, winning the SEC East Division each of the past two years.

Pruitt was so desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to keep in mind with Sark is he left Bama due to differences with Saban. Kirby would probably have to give Sark control if there is any interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RandomFan said:

"Sources told ESPN that Chaney, who had two years left on his three-year contract at Georgia, had grown frustrated with co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach James Coley's involvement in game planning and play calling”

That is false/fake news.  Not at all what happened.  Chaney got an offer Kirby decided not to match.  Almost 5 million for an oc was just too much and Chaney isn't far from retirement so he couldn't turn down that money.  Congrats to Chaney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tennessee wants to throw money on mediocrity, let them have Cheeseburger. I’m sure UGA heard the offer and said “F that noise, we can do better” and are going to go from there. 

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Wow, a lot has happened in the past 24 hrs. I'm thinking most UGA fans are ecstatic with this late Christmas present. Kirby didn't have to get rid of him and he left on his own.  I will say though that Coley is more a sidestep. Not very excited about that rumor.

Edited by richham
95Dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I'd guess it has something to do with Jimbo Fisher trying to hire him away last year and something like a handshake deal from Kirby to keep him -- probably a guarantee that he would be promoted if Chaney ever left or got pushed out. And we can't forget that Kirby seems to prioritize hiring top notch recruiters over cutting edge X's and O's coaches. Coley is a beast recruiter; bringing in an outside OC might have cost us Coley. 

There are a lot of different reasons why it could be Coley. And as bad as he might have been in Miami, he never had the level of talent to coach there that he would have here. 

I just come back to "Trust Kirby."

 

EDIT: Apparently the Lupoi rumor as DC has some teeth to it, according to Americus. Obviously it's not a done deal and there are still other candidates, but the mutual interest does indeed seem real. 

I totes meant to say Chaney lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the extension is probably done, but please just hand the keys to the bank over to Pittman. Chaney was tolerable because of him, and him alone. 

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

If Tennessee wants to throw money on mediocrity, let them have Cheeseburger. I’m sure UGA heard the offer and said “F that noise, we can do better” and are going to go from there. 

it's not secret that pruitt has had a hard time hiring an OC.  it sounds like potential oc candidates were talking to helton and then backing out.  so pruitt offers chaney and uga matches/raise and then kirby thinks we have kept chaney.. then pruitt offers just over 1.6 million a year for chaney and kirby declines to match that due to what he felt would be issues with the offensive staff if signed chaney to that.  i bet fulmer was involved and gave assurances to chaney..  i am happy for chaney.. he might retire in the near future, but he is getting a huge multiyear contract for almost 5 million..  i think vols fans are morons (not on this board btw), but their reactions are complete idiotic.. when we hired chaney they all laughed at uga on all of their boards and now that he is a vol he is awesome.. I hate fickle moronic fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Pruitt was so desperate.

Think so too, but its a understandable ploy, hope to weaken the opponent you are trying to catch. Vols know beating Bama is out of the question, but still feel they should hang with UGA and UF. I just dont know if they have that much pull anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now