Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,315 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I wonder if Chaney choose to leave on his own, or if Kirby pushed him a little? 

Speculation was Chaney wasn't the happiest at UGA. I'm sure Kirby didnt try too hard to keep him either. Chaney has never really stayed somewhere long term.

sdogg likes this

Sources: Tennessee luring OC Jim Chaney from Georgia

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • low_chris.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Tennessee has reached an agreement with Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney to become the Vols' new offensive coordinator, and a formal announcement is expected Wednesday, sources told ESPN.

GoVols247 first reported Tuesday that Chaney was expected to be named Tennessee's offensive coordinator barring unforeseen circumstances.

EDITOR'S PICKS

• qb-draft-class_V1-c_1x1.jpg&w=130&h=130&scale=crop&location=center

The 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25

Clemson is the new king, but Alabama will be back, along with Georgia, Ohio State and Notre Dame, while a couple of teams from Texas elbow their way into the top 10.

This will be Chaney's second stint at Tennessee. He was the Vols' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for four seasons from 2009 to '12 and worked under both Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley. Sources told ESPN that Chaney, 56, is expected to become one of the highest-paid offensive coordinators in the country with his new deal at Tennessee.

Chaney replaces Tyson Helton, who left Tennessee after one season to become the head coach at Western Kentucky.

Volunteers coach Jeremy Pruitt also spoke with then-Houston offensive coordinator Kendal Briles, UCF offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby, former Maryland offensive coordinator Matt Canada, new Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze, new Kansas offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and Steve Sarkisian, who was recently let go as the Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator, about the job.

Chaney just finished his third season as Georgia's offensive coordinator. He will be Tennessee's fourth different offensive coordinator in as many years.

Chaney directed a Georgia offense that led the SEC in rushing (238.8 yards) and ranked No. 2 in scoring (37.9 points), No. 5 in total offense (464.9 yards) and No. 8 in passing (226.1 yards) this past season.

ESPN's Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.

"Sources told ESPN that Chaney, who had two years left on his three-year contract at Georgia, had grown frustrated with co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach James Coley's involvement in game planning and play calling”

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

"Sources told ESPN that Chaney, who had two years left on his three-year contract at Georgia, had grown frustrated with co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach James Coley's involvement in game planning and play calling”

Was Coley trying to open things up?

Well makes sense for Coley to be promoted. I would think if he isn't then he will be looking elsewhere.

I doubt the offense opens up too much regardless of the hire, but at least gets more creative.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, WOR said:

I still dont quite understand why Coley was the choice in the first place 

I'd guess it has something to do with Jimbo Fisher trying to hire him away last year and something like a handshake deal from Kirby to keep him -- probably a guarantee that he would be promoted if Chaney ever left or got pushed out. And we can't forget that Kirby seems to prioritize hiring top notch recruiters over cutting edge X's and O's coaches. Coley is a beast recruiter; bringing in an outside OC might have cost us Coley. 

There are a lot of different reasons why it could be Coley. And as bad as he might have been in Miami, he never had the level of talent to coach there that he would have here. 

I just come back to "Trust Kirby."

EDIT: Apparently the Lupoi rumor as DC has some teeth to it, according to Americus. Obviously it's not a done deal and there are still other candidates, but the mutual interest does indeed seem real. 

Edited by RandomFan
mike teevee likes this

LG1

• LG1
  •  
  • (676)
  • 85 months
  •  
17 minutes agovia Mobile

Jimbob1 said... (original post)

Whatcha hearing on the o.c. Position?

Heard some talks about promoting from within, but I’m hearing several NFL guys names floating around. This is not a up and comer kind of position. A splash is what is expected, especially since Kirby is a defensive coach by trade

This post was edited by LG1 16 minutes ago

mike teevee likes this

LG1

• LG1
  •  
  • (676)
  • 85 months
  •  
9 minutes agovia Mobile

Brian1970 said... (original post)

LG appreciate your perspective, who do you think we get get for offensive coordinator and for tight end coaching? Thanks

I know you asked about OC, but Keep this name, Kris Richard DC. If he doesn’t get a pro HC position this year, we are ready to throw kitchen sink his way. He has the FIRE, youth and energy that Kirby wants

This post was edited by LG1 8 minutes ago

RandomFan and mike teevee like this

Posted (edited)

K. Richard would be interesting, but probably short term and seems unlikely to me. $$ talks though.

If he doesn't get an NFL HC job this year, he is very likely to next year if he stays on the current path. 

Being UGAs DC probably doesn't hurt him much, but staying in the NFL seems more likely.

Edited by jeffro2000

LG1

• LG1
  •  
  • (679)
  • 85 months
  •  
6 minutes agovia Mobile

Kris Richard is the new age coach that’s hip and has the Fire that earns respect from all that comes across him.

If Miami Dolphins doesn’t hire him as HC, UGA will be all over him. It’s already in the works

sdogg and RandomFan like this

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

LG1

• LG1
  •  
  • (679)
  • 85 months
  •  
22 minutes agovia Mobile

Talks are wrapping up with UGA OL Coach Pitman to be named Assoc HC with a new 3 year, 1.5M /yr salary.

Go Dawgs

This post has been edited 3 times, most recently by LG1 14 minutes ago

Boom!! 

mike teevee likes this

Word now is that Saban ponied up a raise to keep Lupoi in Tuscaloosa.

Pittman has supposedly been reupped with an extension that was already in the works anyway, according to trusted insiders. He’s not going anywhere.

U-G-A. Let's go Dawgs! Open this **** thing up, let's sling the ball around the yard, make another Georgia native a high profile celebrity, first and foremost beat Florida, and then kick Alabama's a_ss baby. Sic 'em!!!

Don’t understand this kris Richard guy is a db coach, been and nfl dc, getting hc calls in the pros and we may look at him as oc? Or we talking dc?