Unkn0wn

Coaching Rumors

1,179 posts in this topic

We have our first firing. It's just not performance related. DJ Durkin has been fired by Maryland. 

We'll add the little tidbit going around right now. Lincoln Riley seems to be a hot name. Hes reportedly on the target list of the Browns. The Cowboys are also believed to be interested IF they decide to make a change.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

We have our first firing. It's just not performance related. DJ Durkin has been fired by Maryland. 

Wait, I thought they agreed to keep him?

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Last I seen only 3 players walked out, was that what did it or did more follow suit after?

It was a combination. The Maryland government, including the governor, were highly upset that Durkin was still employed. The governor was calling for an open hearing where those responsible would have to talk face to face with the public.

Yo_Lover likes this

I dont follow it as close as you but I hear Kansas has been a real mess the last few years.  So bad that after Weiss left they only had like 50 something scholarship players.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kansas fires David Beaty. Kansas really likes Les Miles and they view him as their home run guy. Jim Leavitt also a target.

It's surprising that Miles doesn't have a job.  I would think he could do better than Kansas. 

13 hours ago, sassy_bird said:

I dont follow it as close as you but I hear Kansas has been a real mess the last few years.  So bad that after Weiss left they only had like 50 something scholarship players.

Kansas has been a mess since Mangino was ran out of town. Beaty actually had them playing the best they have in years. 3-5 is a good place for Kansas and they beat TCU. Makes the decision a little curious.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Kansas has been a mess since Mangino was ran out of town. Beaty actually had them playing the best they have in years. 3-5 is a good place for Kansas and they beat TCU. Makes the decision a little curious.

Probably looked at Kentucky and Duke and felt like they could do better maybe.

Cause all 3 schools are mostly Basketball schools.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:42 PM, Unkn0wn said:

It was a combination. The Maryland government, including the governor, were highly upset that Durkin was still employed. The governor was calling for an open hearing where those responsible would have to talk face to face with the public.

basically the President caved into pressure and it makes Maryland look even worse than before if that is even possible.  shows them as being weak.  the President should have stuck with keeping Durkin or not reinstate him and fire him in the first place. 

16 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kansas fires David Beaty. Kansas really likes Les Miles and they view him as their home run guy. Jim Leavitt also a target.

that makes no sense at all.  David Beaty had them going pretty dang well compared to previous years.  that isn't a job i see les miles taking.. i mean it's one of the worst jobs in the nation. 

14 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

It's surprising that Miles doesn't have a job.  I would think he could do better than Kansas. 

yeah i don't get how he doesn't have a job elsewhere already.. the one issue for fired coaches is if they don't get a job right away most times they won't get any work at all as a head coach.. it's very werid.  it's one reason I believe CMR took Miami.  He had the draw of being at the school he called home for his early part of his career, but it would have been tougher to sit out a year and find another job elsewhere.  

I honestly believe Kansas should hire a triple option coach. I don't think they'll ever compete trying to do it the traditional way. They could be a respectable program and pull off a few wins with the option IMO

fibonaccisquared likes this

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I honestly believe Kansas should hire a triple option coach. I don't think they'll ever compete trying it to do it the traditional way. They could be a respectable program and pull off a few wins with the option IMO

a triple option coach who knows how to recruit juco players for his system.. snyder is the king of juco and due to that he won a lot at ksu.  i think kansas should do the same thing, but with a triple option offense. 

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I honestly believe Kansas should hire a triple option coach. I don't think they'll ever compete trying to do it the traditional way. They could be a respectable program and pull off a few wins with the option IMO

Triple option HC/OC and overspend on your DC. They should be able to get defensive talent in the Big XII, and lord knows they will get tested. Almost like TCU defense from a few years back but a polar opposite offensive scheme to limit the number of plays the opponents have the opportunity to run..

3 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Triple option HC/OC and overspend on your DC. They should be able to get defensive talent in the Big XII, and lord knows they will get tested. Almost like TCU defense from a few years back but a polar opposite offensive scheme to limit the number of plays the opponents have the opportunity to run..

They could hire Leavitt and have him bring in an OC from a triple option team.

fibonaccisquared likes this

They could hire Leavitt and have him bring in an OC from a triple option team.

Haven't followed him very much personally, but yeah, definitely another option. I think the biggest issue with that is if the HC isn't the triple option "guy", they may or may not be committed enough to it to make it work.

11 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

a triple option coach who knows how to recruit juco players for his system.. snyder is the king of juco and due to that he won a lot at ksu.  i think kansas should do the same thing, but with a triple option offense. 

Paul Johnson?  I mean if Georgia Tech dumps him.

I'm not sure Tech will run off Johnson. He could opt for a fresh start somewhere else and Kansas would be a good fit. I dont know if Tech is ready for the monumental transition that will occur going from the option back to a traditional or spread offense. The new guy will need a lot of time to boost the talent, especially at QB.

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I'm not sure Tech will run off Johnson. He could opt for a fresh start somewhere else and Kansas would be a good fit. I dont know if Tech is ready for the monumental transition that will occur going from the option back to a traditional or spread offense. The new guy will need a lot of time to boost the talent, especially at QB.

This. They have painted themselves into enough of a corner that unless they can couple new coach with freshman stud QB (which is really tough to pull to Ga Tech), it's going to be like starting from scratch on one side of the ball. Works for me... I'm fine if they suck into eternity. :lol: